DJax: Competitive Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJax: Competitive Analysis

Profootball Focus article on how DJax did against the good and bad pass coverage teams last season.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...esean-dilemma/

Profootball Focus article on last season's deep threat WR using the times they were targeted & the receptions made, catch %, yards made and TD made on those chances.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo.../deep-threats/

In short, DJax did show significant differences in production against the good and bad pass coverage teams. Part of that is normal (thats why the good coverage teams are good, bad teams bad) i.e. every WR will see a drop in production vs the good, but in DJax's case it is a pretty significant drop, beyond the normal IMV.

For the deep threat study, I was surprised DJax did not get targeted more deep (29 times) and had less than 4 TD on those chances. On the flip side, he ranks well in receptions, catch % and yards.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Bump....no comments on this? I think this goes to the very heart of why the Eagles are undecided on DJax and why the extension is going to be a tricky deal...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Forget these statistics. Every receiver in the league does less well against the better defenses.

The Eagles' front office (and every negative fan) just needs to watch the last seconds of last year's New York Giants game. There are probably less than three players in the entire league who can make the play that DJax made. Case closed.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I wish it was that simple, Stock, but it ain't unfortunately....

"He combined for 55 receptions, 840 yards and five touchdowns in eight games against teams in the bottom twelve of our rankings.
        Comparatively, in his five other games, he had just 18 catches for 229 yards and no scores."

In essence, against teams that had pass coverage rankings in the top half of the league shut DJax down almost completely...thats significant.

I want him re-signed just like most of us, but this is part of what the Eagles will present him and Rosendouche with and he's going to need an answer or show that he can be more consistent

-Andy Reid

Comment

Are there similar stats to the previous year?

While suggestive, 16 games is a pretty small sample size for this kind of thing. That could also correlate to teams which had the better pass rush, not giving the QB time to find him, that kind of thing.

But yes, I will say he did seem to disappear some last year, meaning teams are finding ways to shut him down, or he just wasn't playing as well. However, that means teams must plan for him, and probably provide other help, hopefully leaving more room for others out there. He's still explosive in space, and on returns, so he has special value over and above your other wideouts there (other than maybe Hester). If he was just graded on WR play, particularly if only looking at last year, yeah he probably slides back into the pack. Still quite good, but not elite.

At this point I'm not sure the Eagles can break the bank for him, at least this year, but they can give him a healthy salary. I'm just hoping the Eagles and Rosenhaus/Jackson see mostly eye-to-eye on numbers, or close enough to make a deal. I don't think he's getting Santonio Holmes numbers.

Comment

VFK, it is very simple. If the Eagles don't sign him, not only is the team much, much weaker, but they have a major public relations problem on their hands. He sells a lot of jerseys.
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Stock, I agree with the talent loss angle for sure, but I think we both know the PR angle does not bother the Eagles (nor should it IMV, decisions should be football-related, not catering to PR)

But I can say the same in reverse....if Jackson does leave, he will never have a better fit for his unique skills than here, may realize his value is not as high as he thinks and may lose a chance to win consistently during his career...

We'll see what happens, but I hope both sides can compromise and reach an agreement that works for both.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
              X