Billy King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy King

Watched him on NBA TV after last night's win over Boston, he looked like a proud papa. Say what you want about his bad contracts and the extended mediocrity as they endlessly tried to rebuild around Iverson -- the man is all class.

I hope this Sixer resurgence is helping re-establish his viability as a GM to other teams around the league. The Sixers have certainly drafted well for the last few years. Looks like that is happening, as King is being mentioned in connection with the Knick job. I wish nothing but the best for this guy.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Re: Billy King

He deserves the Knicks job, I'm just not that excited about him being in the same division.

Comment

uhhhh - I would love for Billy King to go to the Knicks. There is only so much credit to be given here to King. He was terrible in the way he doled out contracts. He made poor decisions in terms of who to keep and who to let go. Let's face it - he had ALOT of high draft picks to work with. Did he appear to make a good decision on Young & Iguodala? Sure, but I think alot of what is going on has to do with Mo Cheeks moreso than King. Is everyone forgetting both the mediocrity King brought to the org for a long time as well as his inability to surround Iverson with any talent? Did the performance in the last year have ANYTHING to do with Larry Brown's return to the organization?

I think Cheeks along with a rejuvenating influence of Ed Stefanski has as much if not more to do with the success than Billy King. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
        uhhhh - I would love for Billy King to go to the Knicks. There is only so much credit to be given here to King. He was terrible in the way he doled out contracts. He made poor decisions in terms of who to keep and who to let go. Let's face it - he had ALOT of high draft picks to work with. Did he appear to make a good decision on Young & Iguodala? Sure, but I think alot of what is going on has to do with Mo Cheeks moreso than King. Is everyone forgetting both the mediocrity King brought to the org for a long time as well as his inability to surround Iverson with any talent? Did the performance in the last year have ANYTHING to do with Larry Brown's return to the organization?

I think Cheeks along with a rejuvenating influence of Ed Stefanski has as much if not more to do with the success than Billy King. Good riddance.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't time for King to go. He had more than enough time on the job. He handed out a bunch of dumb, inflated contracts and never could get the right pieces around Iverson.

However, in his defense, I would argue that it is a nearly impossible task to surround Allen Iverson with complementary talent. And he and DiLeo did a really nice job the last few years with the draft -- after Larry Brown was gone.

I think King was in a tough spot trying to acquire the right talent around Iverson, and trying to draft players that Larry Brown wouldn't run out of town.
        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
          However, in his defense, I would argue that it is a nearly impossible task to surround Allen Iverson with complementary talent. And he and DiLeo did a really nice job the last few years with the draft -- after Larry Brown was gone.

I think King was in a tough spot trying to acquire the right talent around Iverson, and trying to draft players that Larry Brown wouldn't run out of town.
          Exactly, Larry wanted guys who would play HIS brand of basketball and players who wouldn't, he jettisoned (ie Hughes, Stackhouse). With Iverson, when the trade was stopped because of Geiger, he had no choice but to try and work around the franchise player.

So, while I agree that King shit the bed with most of his activities- they could all be traced back to Brown's pulling the strings.

Having said that, I think Cheeks deserves Coach of the Year honors for what he's done with a "rebuilding" Sixer team.

Comment

to blame much of BK's deficiencies on LB is absolute crap. there was plenty of crap he set up following LB's departure. just a few of the top of my head are that albatross of a contract for Kenny Thomas, giving a long, overpriced contract to Willie Green while he was injured and that Webber fiasco. also, during LB's tenure, LB may have forced his type of players on BK, but LB had no say in those awful contracts, like the one for Eric Snow.

on top of that, Ed Snider went on record to state that all the credit for the last few years drafts should go to DiLeo.

BK was terrible. he never once made a decision that made the 76ers better. i hope he takes the Knicks job so they can stay in the cellar for many years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by betty
              to blame much of BK's deficiencies on LB is absolute crap. there was plenty of crap he set up following LB's departure. just a few of the top of my head are that albatross of a contract for Kenny Thomas, giving a long, overpriced contract to Willie Green while he was injured and that Webber fiasco. also, during LB's tenure, LB may have forced his type of players on BK, but LB had no say in those awful contracts, like the one for Eric Snow.

on top of that, Ed Snider went on record to state that all the credit for the last few years drafts should go to DiLeo.

BK was terrible. he never once made a decision that made the 76ers better. i hope he takes the Knicks job so they can stay in the cellar for many years to come.
              * For the first time in my entire life I would like to say that betty is 100% dead on and her assessment is well written, accurate and perfect.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by betty

I didn't blame his deficiencies solely on Larry Brown. I noted early on that he handed out a lot of bad contracts and deserved to go on that basis alon.

What I said was that Sixer drafting while Brown was here suffered because of Brown's meddling (he wanted Larry Hughes over Nowitzki, then gave up on him quickly) and his inability to nurture young players like Hughes, Thomas, etc. Brown was terrible for the franchise.

After Brown left, the draft improved almost immediately. I give DiLeo a lot of credit, but it's not all him -- Snider is just giving us some revisionist history.

Comment

Working...
                X