Shea Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shea Weber

Flyers have confirmed that they signed Weber, arguably the best defenseman in the NHL, to an offer sheet. Reports are placing it in the 14-year, $110 million range.

Weber is a restricted free agent, so Nashville has 7 days to decide whether to match the contract.

That's a lot of dough, but Weber is absolutely worth it. A true No. 1 defenseman. Apparently, the Flyers have structured the deal to make it hard for cash-strapped Nashville to match -- $26m to be paid to Weber in the first year alone.

Man, Holmgren has some brass balls. And once again, Ed Snider is ready to pony up. I think Nashville will match, but it's going to be hard.

If they don't, Flyers will have to give up 4 No. 1 picks. I would do that any day of the week, especially since they are not surrendering any of the great young centers.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

I agree. Keeping the young guys here is a key to contending for the foreseeable future. There must be a buy-out somewhere because Weber will be 40 when the contract ends and that's a lot of money to be paying for a 40 year old. Regardless, I love the aggressive approach and going after the best of the best in an area where you're weak. Excellent move. Let's hope we land him and that the new CBA doesn't cause a lockout and screw up what should be a fun year next season!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

holy shit that's a good signing.

With a good defense in front of Bryz, maybe he gets his shit together next year.

Comment

Jukin - they've structured the deal so it's front loaded. He gets either $3MM/season and then down to $1MM/season as the contract goes out to those later years.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
          Jukin - they've structured the deal so it's front loaded. He gets either $3MM/season and then down to $1MM/season as the contract goes out to those later years.
          Something like $54 million is paid in the first four years, with $26m being paid in first year alone. That's going to be very difficult for Nashville.

As for the later years of the contract, it's true he will be getting less cash. But the cap hit will still be high, it will be $7.5m a year.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

can't say this team is affraid to go for it,too bad we don't still have Pronger to pair up,man this team would be deep.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think his last two years are only at a $1M each. It's just funny money to get the cap down. He could just be an ambassador for the flyers by that time showing off his 3 rings.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                I think his last two years are only at a $1M each. It's just funny money to get the cap down. He could just be an ambassador for the flyers by that time showing off his 3 rings.

Cap number stays the same every year of the contract. But he could retire in one of those later years after making just about all of his money earlier in the contract, and then the cap number would go away. He's 40 in the last year of this contract.

Comment

I know but if I understand it, the last two years were put in simply to make the cap lower for the rest of the contract.

Comment

I know but if I understand it, the last two years were put in simply to make the cap lower for the rest of the contract.

Yes

Comment

Right, that makes the average annual cap hit less. But the fact that he gets paid most of his money in the first four, five years makes it easier for him to walk away at, say, age 36 and retire rather than hanging around until 40 so he gets paid in full.

Comment

Nashville matched it. You can't fault Homer for trying but not sure where they go from here.

Comment

wow that sucks.

Comment

Let's see what happens with the Preditors when the lockout hits. They have to come up with $27 million next year alone (which is more than the $24 million they got from all their ticket sales last year). Good luck staying solvent.

To me this move says that ownership would rather move the team than be outspent for one of their players. I don't see them surviving in Nashville with this contract - especially if there is a work stoppage. This was more about ego then it was about business.
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

So can they trade him to the Flyers next year?

Comment

Working...
                              X