Gowton on Sproles contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gowton on Sproles contract

Immediately following Day 3 of the NFL Draft, the news broke that Philadelphia would be returning veteran free agent running back Darren Sproles to the roster. Up until today, the details of that contract were not yet released.

This morning, Tom Pelissero of NFL Network shared the figured on Sproles’ 1-year deal:

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
    The #Eagles gave Darren Sproles a $400K signing bonus on his 1-year, $1.415M deal (max $1.433M with likely to be earned incentives). Total guarantee is $1M. So a good bet to have a role in his 14th season at age 35.

Even for returning from a broken arm and ACL tear at the ripe young age of 35, this is a cheaper deal than I expected for Sproles. When he first came to Philadelphia via trade with the Saints, Sproles’ contract was extended 2 years at $3.5M per year. Before hitting free agency following the 2016 season, he signed a 1-year extension with Philadelphia, to the tune of $4.5M.

But after one season during which UDFA Corey Clement proved he could provide a viable receiving threat from the backfield (at a fraction of the cost), Sproles is only now worth about $1.4M—3/10ths of what he was worth one season ago.

As it is, Sproles represented at least a $4M cap hit in the past three seasons with the Eagles—now, he’s less money on the books than players like Chris Maragos, Chance Warmack, and Corey Nelson.

Given the high percentage of the contract that’s guaranteed (~70%), it would seem that Philadelphia feels comfortable predicting Spoles’ return from injury and subsequent spot on the roster. This doesn’t bode well for young RBs like Wendell Smallwood and Donnel Pumphrey, both of whom are on the roster bubble in 2018, and represent $691K and $623K cap hits in 2018, respectively.

Getting a culture player and fan favorite player in Darren Sproles back for another year was already great news. The cheap contract is just cheddar.

More From Bleeding Green Nation
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

If this is indeed his last year in the league I can see some attraction to him to stay with what he knows and not learn a new system and move. Has a great chance to play meaningful playoff football as well.

Comment

Agree Vet. Knows the layout, knows the FO, knows the coaching staff, knows he will be on a contending team. Guaranteed a mil and will probably knock down around 2 mil with playoff money
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Plus I would be willing to bet that he didn’t want to go out on an injury but rather to walk away from the game on his terms. With Clemmons and company, he will have a reduced workload and can limit his risk, earn another $1-2 million and possibly get another ring all while getting a chance to walk away from the game rather than be carried off.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
          Plus I would be willing to bet that he didn’t want to go out on an injury but rather to walk away from the game on his terms. With Clemmons and company, he will have a reduced workload and can limit his risk, earn another $1-2 million and possibly get another ring all while getting a chance to walk away from the game rather than be carried off.
          I think that he was having second thoughts about retiring anyway Juk. He was hinting at that before he got hurt. If he doesn't get too beat up this season he might still try to play next year.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

If he wants to play in 2019 he may have to elsewhere unless he is on a very team friendly contract. I was surprised they gave him a contract offer at all. Not because I don't want him but because I think he is such an unknown and they have plenty of rbs right now.

Comment

Working...
            X