#5 Sez-- "this is a SB team"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MDFan,

Every thing you say is all true, the questions you raise can not be disputed or disagreed with. That said, what makes what you are saying different from any other team?

The SB champs (Steelers) have many of the same questions about health, new players at key positions, will the QB recover fully from his motorcycle mishap, and so on.

What I believe McNabb is saying is not a guarantee, but is an indication of his belief that if the talent, production, and health remains as it is, the Eagles are a SB caliber team. Does not meant that the outcome is assured.

What I am buying, is that belief that the team has the talent on both sides of the ball to get to the levels they achieved in 2003 and 2004. Now, if those external factors (injuries, unrealized promise, etc.) does negatively impact the team, then we will need to see where we stand.

Until then, I choose to buy the optimism that the team is back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Diehard
      What I believe McNabb is saying is not a guarantee, but is an indication of his belief that if the talent, production, and health remains as it is, the Eagles are a SB caliber team. Does not meant that the outcome is assured.
      That's exactly how I interpreted his comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Diehard

gotta agree with ED here.

what I really liked from McNabb was his mentioning of the Defense. That's nice to hear from a QB.

I was surprised he didn't mention Dirk and Akers. What a difference they have shown...just in preseason.

if this team went 6-10 last year while healthy....I'd be questioning McNabb too. But they didn't. They got guys back and they added some peices.

I say this is a SB caliber team. Guaranteed to be there? Hell no. As much claim as any other team in the NFC? IMHO, yes

Comment

C'mon guys, I never intimated that he was saying any thing about guarantees.

I love the optimism, you'all know me ....... I'm just saying that it's tooo early to "know" that.

I don't have a problem with him saying it, I love it in fact. I'm just saying he can't know it yet. Not this early, IMO.

Just my take, obviously many disagree.

He can say it to pump up the guys, to establish the positive vibe.

Can they be a SB team,, surethey can. I said already they have at least 11 or 12 wins in them and that will get them into the postseason after that------ who knows..... and this IS true of every team that gets there.

Comment

Christ Allf'ckin Mighty, MD. Would it have made you feel better if he had said, "as it stands now"?

I'm buying. This is a SB team. They are good enough, they have the talent, they have the coaching, and they have the motivation. Chemistry.

Give it up MR NEGATIVE. Just for that the drinks are on you in Miami.

Comment

HA HA HA ...... Nope, it wouldn't have, cause I don't need to be made to "feel better" -- but that is what he is trying to do for the young guys on the team ----- and I think that may be the first time in the last 7 or 8 years on these boards that somebody has called me negative!!!!!!

Truly do I think they are a Super Bowl Team? -- sure,,,,,,,,, maybe they are.... but I try to think that every year since Reid has gotten his "Plan" on track--- I don't need #5 telling me to get me to beleive.

Comment

IMO McNabb is in for a huge year for a # of reasons not just the departure of "that player" in Dallas.Let's face it,everything that could go wrong last did,and hopefully this year,the stars are alligned for a complete 360.
                First & foremost,Donny Mac is healthy & in great shape.He seems sharp on his throws and can run if needed.The O-line looks good with William,don't call me Tra,being the only question mark.The WR's look good but only time will tell there & the RB's(Westy's health)can be productive but still pose questions.
                EB is convinced that this is the year for the Birds in Miami but I'm still not so sure.Are they a solid club? Sure they are but alot of things have to go way this year(health most important),get a few bounces our way,and who knows?I see this Club going 10-6 and making the playoffs.Once there,they've got a shot at making it to the SB and I'd be ecstatic.
                The early hype in August is premature but with a Club this young it's important for guys like McNabb,Trot,& Dawk to instill confidence in the youngbloods.If you think you can win,good things happen.
                LET'S GO BIRDS!!!
                Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bird
                  EB is convinced that this is the year for the Birds in Miami but I'm still not so sure.Are they a solid club? Sure they are but alot of things have to go way this year(health most important),get a few bounces our way,and who knows?I see this Club going 10-6 and making the playoffs.Once there,they've got a shot at making it to the SB and I'd be ecstatic.

The early hype in August is premature but with a Club this young it's important for guys like McNabb,Trot,& Dawk to instill confidence in the youngbloods.If you think you can win,good things happen.
                  Ahhh, the wisdom that comes with age!!!!!!!

Comment

EB just hasn't "died enough Sundays" yet.He's been a diehard since '88 or so(as opposed to'60)and still believes in the ttoth fairy,lol.
                    Whereas you & I MdFan have seen this movie before and have become way too familiar with the outcome.Now don't get me wrong,I'm an Eagle diehard but we really need alot of things to go right this year in order to make it to Miami.So in the maentime I'll watch and cheer passionatey and just.....................ENJOY THE RIDE!!!
                    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

"So in the maentime I'll watch and cheer passionatey and just.....................ENJOY THE RIDE!!! "

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMRAO!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                        HA HA HA ...... Nope, it wouldn't have, cause I don't need to be made to "feel better" -- but that is what he is trying to do for the young guys on the team ----- and I think that may be the first time in the last 7 or 8 years on these boards that somebody has called me negative!!!!!!

Truly do I think they are a Super Bowl Team? -- sure,,,,,,,,, maybe they are.... but I try to think that every year since Reid has gotten his "Plan" on track--- I don't need #5 telling me to get me to beleive.
                        Hey Buddy,

This is all your fault. :P

You had to go and poke the hornets nest by doing your around the horn imitation and asking who was buying or selling McNabb's statement.

Well, we buyers stepped up with our opinions, so you can't slam us for making our feelings of optimism known.

But, it is all good, I know that we are are all on the same page as far as our desires to see the eagles succeed this season.

Some of us may just have been watching too much WSOP tournaments and are just willing to go "All In" faster than the rest.

Comment

"Well, we buyers stepped up with our opinions, so you can't slam us for making our feelings of optimism known. "

Hey buddy, never ever did that.

And I share your feelings of optimism--- but not just because #5 decides to pump up the young guys!

(You ARE surely aware i'm just playin contrairan on this topic I hope)

Comment

I'm currently deciding on putting money on the Eagles to win the SB. It's 27-1! Even a $20 spot will get me $540. I'm so tempted.

Comment

Around the Horn pretty much ripped on McNabb. Only Addande gave McNabb any credit

what shocked me is how many of them said the Eagles have no shot in a division with studs like the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins.

wha? The only reason the Skins broke their godawful no playoff streak and the Giants made the playoffs were our injuries last year.

You expect the media to be more knowledgeable...but still all I hear is the loss of TO. Very rarely a mention of McNabb and Akers coming back.

I can't wait for this season to start!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                                "Well, we buyers stepped up with our opinions, so you can't slam us for making our feelings of optimism known. "

Hey buddy, never ever did that.

And I share your feelings of optimism--- but not just because #5 decides to pump up the young guys!

(You ARE surely aware i'm just playin contrairan on this topic I hope)
                                No, there are no misunderstandings here, I absolutely understand your perspective and know you are just preaching caution.

For me personally, I am over the disappointment of last season, and I am ready to live up to my screen name and take a dive into the deep end of the optimism pool.

Almost every other person (casual fans, sports writers, talking heads, etc.) are doing a great job of talking down the Eagles, I think that we diehard fans should provide the counter balance and go with unbridled optimism.

Where is Big Philly and his 16 - 0 undefeated season and SB win prediction.

Comment

Working...
                                X