Finally watched the game with some random thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally watched the game with some random thoughts

Near the beginning of the first quarter Mailata caved in Jacksonville's whole left side on a running play. He looked like a bulldozer. That was pretty darned impressive! I thought both he and Pryor again mauled many defenders and should definitely make the team. I think that Ward is just too athletic not to have a place on the roster. He really looks smooth (and very quick!). It seemed that the Birds were trying to feature Johnson in the first half and he looked good. The Knife might be in a little trouble after all. Dillard looks very quick too. Howard and Sanders will be a great 1-2 punch. Thorson was a solid D+!. Better than the F that he put up last week anyway.

On defense our linebackers flew to the ball as did the safeties. I like Singleton because he can really light people up! Sendejo isn't afraid to stick his nose in there either. Hall really showed well with some good speed and harassed the qb often. Vinny looked good too but Sweat and Miller were very disappointing. Josh was perfect on the night.

I guess all that this game showed is that our depth is better than the Jags who looked terrible. I'm wondering why Graham and Jenkins played. Wentz had better damn hell stay healthy.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Graham and Jenkins wanted to play
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      Graham and Jenkins wanted to play
      Ballers both of them!

Comment

During the broadcast they said the wanted to work up a good sweat
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Near the beginning of the first quarter Mailata caved in Jacksonville's whole left side on a running play. He looked like a bulldozer. That was pretty darned impressive! I thought both he and Pryor again mauled many defenders and should definitely make the team.
          Mailata? The guy you were saying just a couple weeks ago was a waste of a roster spot?? That Mailata?

I didn't see the game, but I did watch the highlight reel, and focused on him, because the guys at BGN said he had a good game. He did look pretty good out there. I don't think he's ready for prime time yet, but he does look like he's developing, and that's a good thing. If he keeps going he could end up being a decent swing tackle for them. He's athletic, looked smooth, and his technique looked decent. I wonder at this point what his ceiling is.

Comment

He certainly will be a decent swing tackle in my opinion. But I think with a little work he will be a starting tackle somewhere in the league. Maybe just average but good enough to play. Much like Big V, I think some team will take a chance on him since NFL caliber OTs are hard to come by. Fortunately the birds have him for a little while.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
              Mailata? The guy you were saying just a couple weeks ago was a waste of a roster spot?? That Mailata?

I didn't see the game, but I did watch the highlight reel, and focused on him, because the guys at BGN said he had a good game. He did look pretty good out there. I don't think he's ready for prime time yet, but he does look like he's developing, and that's a good thing. If he keeps going he could end up being a decent swing tackle for them. He's athletic, looked smooth, and his technique looked decent. I wonder at this point what his ceiling is.
              Get your facts straight. I said it a couple of days ago, not weeks. I did think that it was a waste of a roster spot but my opinion has somewhat changed. I don't think that you draft anybody whose ceiling is to play as a backup in 3 years if you are right about him. That's pretty much a waste of a roster spot IMO. The question was should we hang onto him if he hasn't shown major improvement and he has so that you can now justify keeping him I suppose. The thing is he's only on a 3 year contract so why bother? Aren't you just teaching him the game for some other team when he reaches free agency? I think that he might be a semi reliable backup for us now though so that's pretty good. At least he can actually play some now and that really surprises me. Like I said I saw some good things from him last night despite him getting pancaked early in the game. Then again that's a HOFer lying on his back in my avatar.

Comment

To be fair 60, you did say at least 3 times in that thread that he needed to go.

This is why I always try to make the point that we need not be deciding these guys careers so quickly and definitively! Just like many did with Graham. IMM we do not get to actually see enough of what many of these guys do to be making career type decisions. Personally, I like that they seem to be putting lot's of emphasis on that O line right now. I still think lines are what wins games.... while the glory players get the credit it is the lines that actually win the games. But I am with you, all I want is the best Eagles team we can put out there.
                Last edited by MDFAN; 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

The other point I would make is that you have to have guys you plan to play as backups. They aren't going to be starters. You hope they will be but as soon as they are they want money and bigger contracts. I have no doubt Howie maintains a list of guys who they think will be quality backups and then will leave in FA. Big V is one of them. They will offer him a contract but they just won't have the space for it to be a starter level contract so he will probably leave in FA. If he does take the contract they can always move Mailata next year.
                  I actually think guys at the back end of the draft are drafted to be serviceable backups. If they are late round guys who turn into starters it is a plus
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Good arguments from both of you and you're bringing me around. The good thing is that we are very deep in the O line right now and could take a hit or two. I'm high on Pryor and not worried about a few dumb penalties that can be easily fixed unless he's a slow blinker.

The guy that I'd love to make the final roster is Ward. He's really quick and athletic. Not only could he fit in the slot when Aggie leaves he could be an emergency QB too.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      The other point I would make is that you have to have guys you plan to play as backups. They aren't going to be starters. You hope they will be but as soon as they are they want money and bigger contracts. I have no doubt Howie maintains a list of guys who they think will be quality backups and then will leave in FA. Big V is one of them. They will offer him a contract but they just won't have the space for it to be a starter level contract so he will probably leave in FA. If he does take the contract they can always move Mailata next year.
                      I actually think guys at the back end of the draft are drafted to be serviceable backups. If they are late round guys who turn into starters it is a plus
                      With starters rarely playing 16 games you need the best backups you can get. If the greedy owners go for an 18 game schedule you will really need backups

Comment

Working...
                      X