• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coughlin-Foot In Mouth

Giants: Coughlin draws flak
    Friday, March 30, 2007
    BY MIKE GARAFOLO
    Star-Ledger Staff
    Giants coach Tom Coughlin is under intense scrutiny once again -- only this time it has nothing to do with a coaching decision.

During a coaches' breakfast on Wednesday at the NFL owners' meetings in Phoenix, Coughlin fielded a question from a football Web site reporter about the way the media portrays him. Coughlin responded by saying only Adolf Hitler received harsher criticism than he has, the New York Daily News reported.

"I hear some of it and I see it. You know (Giants VP of communications Pat) Hanlon tells me about it, what's going on," the paper quoted Coughlin as saying. "Hitler and then me, in that order. Unfortunate, but it is."

The quotes did not sit well with Abraham H. Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League.

"Giants coach Tom Coughlin appears to be ignorant of who Hitler was and what he did when he likens criticism he received for a losing football season to that against the man who caused World War II, murdered 6 million Jews in the Holocaust and millions of others," Foxman said in a statement. "Using the comparison to Hitler in such a cavalier manner is insensitive and denigrates the memory of millions of Nazi victims. Coach Coughlin needs a reality check and some education."

Coughlin could not be reached for comment yesterday. Hanlon said the coach wasn't misquoted, but beyond that he had no further comment. Giants president John Mara and team chairman Steve Tisch did not respond to requests for comment.

Coughlin came under intense scrutiny from the media last season, especially when the Giants closed the season with just two victories in their final eight games. Columnists and commentators -- often with the use of players who were willing to bash their coach anonymously -- debated whether Coughlin should return for a fourth season.

Ownership stuck by Coughlin after the 8-8 season and a first-round playoff exit. The team gave the coach a one-year contract extension through the 2008 season.

It doesn't appear Coughlin's recent comments will have an effect on his tenure or the team's endorsement of him.

Mike Garafolo may be reached at

[email protected]

© 2007 The Star Ledger
    © 2007 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.
    Fly EaglesFly!

Oi vei. Too many Larry Literals in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by PMD
      Oi vei. Too many Larry Literals in this world.
      Absolutely. This article is rediculous.

Comment

I can't stand Coughlin but seriously, lighten up folks!!! Leave it to some asshole reporter to run straight to the anti-defimation league for their thoughts. What are they supposed to say; "We agree. Poor Tom is being abused!" Of course they'll put out a negative statement but I seriously doubt anyone was offended by the Giant's main idiot's statement.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I'm glad to see you guys are taking it this way, because my impression was, "who gives a damn, do we all have to be so thin-skinned??" Obviously the guy was not serious, and he's using an extreme analogy to make a point, but GEEZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I find it odd that so many people like to compare themselves to Hitler in that way.

I find it somewhat less odd that people get so bent when dumb jocks use the comparison.

I'm glad that McNabb has never said anything like that.
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

I HATE IT WHEN YOU GUYS DONT READ THE BLOG!!

http://blog.sportscolumn.com/story/2007 ... 4233/6877/

Comment

Another example of PC gone overboard.

Comment

It's not about PC. It's just tasteless. Hilter killed 6 million jews. I can see them getting a little bit upset about that. It's like saying something like "Man, people wanna take a shot at me more than Oswald did JFK."

The world is pretty simple, if you're a public figure, don't say anything dumb.

Comment

People suck. This was perfectly fine to say and I defend Coughlin's right to say it every day of the week.
                    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                    Playoff Appearances:
                    NFC Title Games:
                    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I think the main problem is he's seen too many of those Bang cartoons where he's wearing the lederhosen, riding crop, and talking in a hammed up German accent.

Does it count as a violation of Godwin's Law for Tom to invoke this in a media conference?

Comment

This is from 2004 Sports Pickle:

Tom Coughlin Seizes Power in Germany
                        Tom Coughlin rallied the German people this morning in his first-ever speech as Chancellor. His address focused on restoring discipline and national pride.
                        Buoyed by his victory over Washington on Sunday, New York Giants supreme leader Tom Coughlin stormed to power in Germany today, seizing power from Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and imposing martial law throughout the country.

Coughlin gained control of the country this morning after an emergency referendum vote was called by the German parliament. Running as a member of the neo-Nazi National Democratic Party (NPD), the Giants’ coach received more than two-thirds of the vote.

“The German heritage of discipline, hard work and pragmatism is something I have long identified with,” said Coughlin. “I have imposed them on every organization I have been a part of and will do so again to ensure Germany regains its place as an unrivaled world power.”

Faced with a stagnant economy and rising unemployment, Schroeder and his Social Democrats lost popularity of late to the country’s far-right nationalistic parties. The German parliament held the emergency referendum after Coughlin expressed interest in the position after Sunday’s victory over the Redskins.

“I’m always looking for new challenges,” said Coughlin. “I feel that if I demand and receive discipline from the Giants players and the German people, there is no reason I can’t be successful as both coach and Fuhrer.”

“Fuhrer Coughlin has long been admired by many in Germany within the neo-Nazi party,” said Holger Apfel, a prominent neo-Nazi leader. “We were ecstatic to vote for him. His aggressive approach to leadership and willingness to eliminate those who are weak, as well as the poor economic conditions under which he gained power, beckons the great Adolph Hitler himself.”

But it is Coughlin’s many similarities to Hitler that have worried those within the Giants’ organization, as well as millions in Germany and across the world.

“Having Tom Coughlin in charge of one of the most powerful countries in the world is now a sobering reality,” said British Prime Minister Tony Blair. “We hope he will not resort to extreme positions that have marked the history of his career and the Nazi party, but he should consider himself warned that he will be met with stiff resistance should he step out of line. There will be no appeasement.”

Coughlin, however, expresses unabashed respect for the genocidal former dictator of Germany.

“It is undeniable that Hitler had many good ideas and accomplished numerous things for the German people during his reign,” said Coughlin. “He made some mistakes, yes, but I choose to model myself on his many positive characteristics. I do not choose to pick a fight with the rest of the world, but all those who stand in my way will be crushed.”

Coughlin said he will divide his required duties equally between the Giants and Germany.

“I will be working 20 hour days indefinitely and my time will be stretched very thin,” he said. “So it is absolutely imperative that everyone show up on time for scheduled meetings.”

Comment

There's a blog?

j/k

Comment

Originally posted by AToney
                            There's a blog?

j/k

Comment

sf, you're really showing your ass on this one. Please. Anyone taking offense at this thing is just LOOKING for something to be offended by. It doesn't surprise me if members of the media try to work this up into a story, it's what they do. But rational thinking people should have no more reaction than, "What a dope". And he IS a dope, but who cares.

But then, I didn't get all worked up about Parcells talking about his "Jap plays" either. Nor do I have a problem with Washington's team being calledthe "redskins". Perhaps I am socially/racially insensitive?? LOL!
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                              X