Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This time next week - what's your gut feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This time next week - what's your gut feel?

Want to gauge the board consensus
    Great draft - love how we're looking
    0.00%
    WTF?! Another head scratcher of a draft
    62.50%
    Bleh - coulda been better - coulda been worse
    37.50%

Re: This time next week - what's your gut feel?

The biggest hole on the team (IMO) is the lack of a gamebreaking return guy. I feel this will be addressed early in the draft. I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that the Eagles will trade up in the 2nd round and grab someone, maybe a DeSean Jackson.

Comment

I'm almost positive that Andy Reid and Co. will absolutely confound us. It will probably be for nice players but it will be mind boggling after the draft.

I could see trading Lito and #19 to acquire an offensive linemen.

Then in round 2 taking another offensive linemen or say a LB etc.

Boring and confusing.

That said - the o-linemen will probably turn out to be a beast and much needed but it just won't make us excited.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

unless they grab a game-breaker like McKelvin, I'll be a little depressed when they move Lito for either a 10-spot jump in the first round, or a second-round pick.
        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
          I'm almost positive that Andy Reid and Co. will absolutely confound us. It will probably be for nice players but it will be mind boggling after the draft.

Boring and confusing.

That said - the o-linemen will probably turn out to be a beast and much needed but it just won't make us excited.
          I would LOVE to see Reid go nuts and pick some speed demons like Felix Jones and DeSean Jackson on Day one. That would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY

Boring and confusing.

I kind of agree but voted "bleh". The funny thing is - the most excited I got after a draft was after the '06 draft and mostly for the wrong reasons. Sure - I was happy about Bunkley but I was really pleased with the "steal" of Justice as well as getting Bloom in the 5th!

Couldn't really have cared about Gocong or Gaither at the time. Just goes to show. . . .

Comment

Ha! I was excited and intrigued by Gocong, but didn't give 2 **** about Gaither. I was very happy with the value of Justice when we nabbed him.......and that MAY still pan out, I'm not giving up hope there yet. Bunkley had me excited...and he was a flop for his first season. You're right, you just never know.

I expect to be scratching my head next week.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                Ha! I was excited and intrigued by Gocong, but didn't give 2 **** about Gaither. I was very happy with the value of Justice when we nabbed him.......and that MAY still pan out, I'm not giving up hope there yet. Bunkley had me excited...and he was a flop for his first season. You're right, you just never know.

I expect to be scratching my head next week.
                Bunkley may have been a flop his rookie year but it was mainly due to missing camp. He came on strong last year though, and he looks like a future perennial pro bowler.
                Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

It was due to him missing camp, and also being a mental midget. But my point is, after a draft no matter how well you think you did, you have no idea how that selection is going to benefit you in the coming season. I think most had him pencilied in as a guy to contribute GREATLY in his rookie season. Didn't happen. Leson learned, do NOT count on rookies to give you significant production or help.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                    It was due to him missing camp, and also being a mental midget. But my point is, after a draft no matter how well you think you did, you have no idea how that selection is going to benefit you in the coming season. I think most had him pencilied in as a guy to contribute GREATLY in his rookie season. Didn't happen. Leson learned, do NOT count on rookies to give you significant production or help.
                    Just curious how was he a mental midget?

I may be wrong but, the way I remember it he just seemed out of shape from missing camp.
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

So I voted "bleh" and not sure now if I'd characterize it as that or head scratcher. I'm left wondering. I know they use the draft to look to the future and that's great but at some point in time you have to have a little sense of urgency. I don't see any. Teams that don't have first round picks in consecutive years are usually headed down the wrong path (see Redskins & Dolphins).

So here's my good, bad, and the bleh:

The Good:

-Lito still being here. That is the most positive news out of the draft weekend IMO.
                      -DeSean Jackson with our 2nd, 2nd round pick is good value. I don't care if he catches a single ball as a WR. To get him there for special teams duties is going to make a big difference (if his 168 lb. frame can stay on an NFL football field).
                      -The fleecing of Carolina. I acknowledge it was too much to pass up. I just would have thought with all the picks they had, they could have jumped back up to the late 1st round to pick up a big time talent.
                      -Adding Booker for a 4th rounder was a nice move. He fits the squad well.
                      -I have no foundation for this - but I like the Demps pick in the secondary.

The Bad:
                      - Jack Ineedanotheryearoff - DB from Wisconsin. What the hell? So we get an injured burglar who can't contribute at all this year in the fourth round?!
                      -Aside from Jackson on STs - I don't see a single player that is going to make a big impact for an 8-8 team that needs playmakers.
                      -Our continuing "needle in a haystack" machismo. Let's find the most out of the way schools and their top stars whether they be small, tweeners or non-projectable to the pros. Guys from McNeese State, Wheaton, etc. Be happy you've had luck in these areas in the past but at some point the law of averages is going to catch up.

The Bleh:

-So everyone is concerned about the age of our tackles so what do we do on draft day? Draft a bunch of tackles that seem to project to move inside to guard and/or center. I know that the feeling is Andrews and perhaps Herremans can move outside but Andrews is an all-pro at guard - why mess with it? I'm sure these lineman will pan out but don't we have about 8 million serviceable interior lineman already?
                      -Laws - OK - great, another fastball. That's fine. Not exciting though especially when, again, I think we need impact and we got "sturdy". I'm sure he'll contribute and I'll like the guy on the field. I think in the next couple of years though - we're going to look back and see where we traded down to in the last two years and say "Man, why didn't we go with this guy when we had the chance?"
                      -I can't believe we picked as many players as we did. If we end up cutting decent players in TC - I'll be upset. They did convert one 6th into a '09 fifth but still - there wasn't that sense of urgency to go up and grab a guy we wanted.

It was a solid but unspectacular weekend. I hope Jackson does enough that we say "the rest of the draft fizzled but at least we have our Devin Hester".

Comment

I don't have any big complaints. Who knows how it will pan out?

I like that the Carolina trade gives flexibility for a post-June 1 trade for Chad Johnson or a Roy Williams deal.

Hopefully Laws steps into the rotation at DT -- they definitely needed someone else there.

Hopefully Jackson is an instant jolt to the punt returns and is at least an exciting third-down wideout. Booker should provide solid RB depth.

Demps looks like more of a rangy coverage safety -- maybe Considine with a little more oomph. We'll see about him.

The o-line prospects are interesting and they'll be battling it out with the Scott Youngs and Nick Coles. The corner they are stashing til next year, who knows?

I'm most intrigued by the small school defenders. Mays looks like a cross between Sam Mills and Jeremiah Trotter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW98PdZuX7Q

Bryan Smith and Andy Studebaker have real potential coming off the edge, based on their youtube highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvLsQpEQG3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzH8IKSNf70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEG_-bQd5cI

Here's what Dan Pompei, a guy whose analysis I respect, had to say about Studebaker:

For a while, it looked as if Andrew Studebaker of Wheaton College and Eureka High School had a chance to be a mid-round draft pick. He had 30 sacks in his career through the fifth game of the 2007 season, and he led the NCAA with 17• sacks in 2006. But then a Lisfranc (foot) injury ended his season, and it seemed he wouldn't be drafted at all. But Studebaker had his walking boot taken off about five weeks ago, and he has been a very popular man since. He has visited the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens and Jaguars, and the Browns are coming to Chicago to see him in a private workout. Seven teams attended his pro day last week, and after training with former Bears fullback Bob Christian, the 6-3, 248-pound end/linebacker ran the 40-yard dash in 4.60 seconds and vertical jumped 36• inches.

If nothing else, they'll have a well-stocked practice squad!
                        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I'd concur with you stevemc in that I'm feeling it was ok but all these mid level guys the birds pick up can't make the roster.
                          I do, however, like Jack the Wis CB with too many letters in his name. They had plenty of mid/late picks available and, if they can keep Lito this year, he is like another pick for next year after having been on the PUP and spending they year studying.
                          They definitely have gone after the D this off season and I like the potential upgrade in the return game. I'm still not sure the O has added anything to cause teams worry.
                          And we'll see how Mays does but another N Dak product has the opportunity to make noise in Philly. Go baby
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                            - Jack Ineedanotheryearoff - DB from Wisconsin. What the hell? So we get an injured burglar who can't contribute at all this year in the fourth round?!

[...]

-I can't believe we picked as many players as we did. If we end up cutting decent players in TC - I'll be upset. They did convert one 6th into a '09 fifth but still - there wasn't that sense of urgency to go up and grab a guy we wanted.
                            See, I felt the Ikegwuonu pick was essentially converting a 4th into a 2009 pick -- and potentially getting a really good return out of it, if earlier projections of his talent were accurate and he comes back fine from the injury. He won't take up a roster spot this year.

Comment

I liked them picking up Jake the Rake for just a 4th. Before his injury he had some people calling him a high 1st. Stash him and let him learn while he rehabs and we have another fast CB with tremendous upside. Future depth.

I like Demps for OJT behind Dawk. But with his speed and college experience I like having a 206 lber who excells at both PR and KR. God forbid something happens to DJ but we need to have a good plan B like Demps around. Excellent depth.

Laws I loved in the 2nd. He will be a great fit in the rotation and has the ability to step up and start if needed. More depth.

McGlynn could be our most versatile OL backup this year and he is a good long-snapper. Maybe Magic Man is gone. At the least.....depth.

Comment

Working...
                              X