Kudos to the Offensive Line!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to the Offensive Line!!!

I think we are finally beginning to see the fruits of Howard Mudd's efforts on rebuilding our offensive line. Last night was the first time that I saw our OL able to form a strong protective pocket in a long, long time. McCoy is great, but there were holes last night that you could drive a truck through.

Of course, Peters is the key to the performance of the entire line. But, having Herremans at RT gives us a symmetry and solidity that we haven't had since the departure of Thomas and Runyan. You need two good tackles to have an effective line, and Justice never really reached the level that was expected of him. Now the opposing DL gets crunched from both sides, and McCoy is free to bounce out and cut back whenever he wants or needs.

I think if Castillo was still the OL coach, we wouldn't see the overhaul that we have seen under Mudd. Castillo would be wedded to the players he brought in or coached-up over the years. We would probably see Jackson at center, Herremans at Guard, and Justice at RT, if Castillo was still the OL coach. Mudd was not wedded to the past, so he could make the dramatic moves of installing Kelce ( who gets better every game, and completely nailed Jay Ratliff last night), and shuttling Herremans out to RT where he is going to be a force.

If we continue to get the same line play that we saw last night, we will be hard to beat from here on out!
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

So I have this fanvision thing that I can watch the live feed while in the stadium. It is unbelievably awesome. Anyway, my reason for saying this is that they highlighted how dominating Peters was over the course of last night. Herremans was decent from what I saw but Ware did have his way with him at times. Kelce had his ups and downs (I keep remembering the botched shotgun snap). Tell me what you saw in Watkins. It's tough for me to gauge the interior line play when in the stadium so I'm curious to know what the overall board consensus is on Watkins' play.

Comment

Watkins played well because you never heard his name mentioned. Granted, they probably helped him some, but for a guy in his third start to play that well, is pretty good. A guard defending the 3-4 is tough because there are a lot of choices on whom you need to block.

What I have been saying for years and I think last night it was obvious is if you run the ball with some success early in a game and don't pass the ball over and over then the pass rush isn't nearly as troublesome. After our obligatory first play of the game deep ball, we ran it and kept running it.

One thing I noticed was on those trap plays where the offside TE and offside guard pulled across the back of the play did anyone else think that Spencer and Ware looked hesitant to blow up that pulling blocker. I would think, the play there would be to try and create a pile right there to create a situation where there was "trash" for the back to evade, thus slowing him down and allowing pursuit to get him. It looked like most of the time Spencer and Ware were trying to catch that puller and maintain outside leverage. That is all well and good but with Peters and Herremans crushing down the DE and MLB like they were it was leaving some huge running lanes which we all saw.

That was the play the Cowboys looked like they didn't have an answer for.

Ware is a man and I wouldn't question his toughness but I really would think he should've repeatedly took one for the team there and created a pile instead of trying to make the play on his own.
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

AW, in Ware's defense, I think they expect him to make all the plays, because the rest of that defense is pretty ordinary (to be polite) with the possible exception of Lee, who looks like he may be a player.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

According to the game stats Ware had 4 sacks, I don't think I saw him have that many.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            According to the game stats Ware had 4 sacks, I don't think I saw him have that many.

they were kinda meaningless and "quiet" sacks. His fourth sack I think was one of those Michael Strahan on Brett Favre to break the record sacks and then he helped Vick up afterward.

I was shocked how easily we neutralized the Cowboys defense last night. McCoy looked like ... well most RBs against our defense.

Could you imagine all the Pukes fans sitting at home yelling at their tv? awesome.

Comment

The OL is playing great, that was a fantastic performance last night in both phases. They keep Peters healthy, that's got a chance to be a very good line.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Evan Mathis has been the key. All season he's graded out as one of the best LGs in football. Having Herremans out at right tackle, Peters back on the left and the maturation of Kelce & Watkins could make this line very successful the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                  AW, in Ware's defense, I think they expect him to make all the plays, because the rest of that defense is pretty ordinary (to be polite) with the possible exception of Lee, who looks like he may be a player.
                  Re: Sean Lee. While he was not a factor last night, it still bugs me a bit that the Cowboys darfted him with a pick that they traded up with the Eagles for, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                    Re: Sean Lee. While he was not a factor last night, it still bugs me a bit that the Cowboys darfted him with a pick that they traded up with the Eagles for, IIRC.
                    Forgot about that!!! Damn!!! We NEED someone like him!

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                      I think we are finally beginning to see the fruits of Howard Mudd's efforts on rebuilding our offensive line. Last night was the first time that I saw our OL able to form a strong protective pocket in a long, long time. McCoy is great, but there were holes last night that you could drive a truck through.

Of course, Peters is the key to the performance of the entire line. But, having Herremans at RT gives us a symmetry and solidity that we haven't had since the departure of Thomas and Runyan. You need two good tackles to have an effective line, and Justice never really reached the level that was expected of him. Now the opposing DL gets crunched from both sides, and McCoy is free to bounce out and cut back whenever he wants or needs.

I think if Castillo was still the OL coach, we wouldn't see the overhaul that we have seen under Mudd. Castillo would be wedded to the players he brought in or coached-up over the years. We would probably see Jackson at center, Herremans at Guard, and Justice at RT, if Castillo was still the OL coach. Mudd was not wedded to the past, so he could make the dramatic moves of installing Kelce ( who gets better every game, and completely nailed Jay Ratliff last night), and shuttling Herremans out to RT where he is going to be a force.

If we continue to get the same line play that we saw last night, we will be hard to beat from here on out!
                      Castillo and Mudd work with the players that are brought in. Let's also not forget that the Eagles made it to the SB with the line that Castillo coached.

I know it's the "in thing" right now to pile on Castillo but remember who buys the groceries for this team.
                      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                        they were kinda meaningless and "quiet" sacks. His fourth sack I think was one of those Michael Strahan on Brett Favre to break the record sacks and then he helped Vick up afterward.
                        They weren't meaningless originally but they ultimately didn't affect much. The first sack was on first and goal I think but Vick got the TD pass to Maclin on 3rd down and 9 (after backing up more on the second down play). Sack could have been big if it prevented a TD, but it didn't. Third sack was a forced fumble (could have been very big though the lead was already large), but the Eagles recovered for an eight yard loss. On second and 18, McCoy ran for 22 yards (helped by Ware being out of position trying to get around Herremans again). Eagles scored later in that drive. Sacks don't matter much when you give up 20+ the next play. Ware is a beast -- he manhandled Herremans on a couple of plays including one sack -- but it didn't matter in the end.

Comment

The most impressive thing I notice about this group is defensive players are on the ground.They are not only being blocked,but destroyed.Teams tend to lose interest when they are being pounded,I like where this group is headed. Don't want to say I told you so,but early in the year they showed that potential ,by laying people out.Can't wait to see them at seasons end,they are rounding into something special.Also, Mudd seems to have quite an effect on people. Another great coaching staff hire by AR.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                            Castillo and Mudd work with the players that are brought in. Let's also not forget that the Eagles made it to the SB with the line that Castillo coached.

I know it's the "in thing" right now to pile on Castillo but remember who buys the groceries for this team.

The guys in charge of the draft know what kind of player the coaches want and will tailor their picks accordingly. And the coaches have some say as well -- not the final say, but they have input.

Do you really think Howard Mudd had no say in drafting Kelce or Watkins -- or bringing in DeVan? It's been reported that Mudd, in particular, lobbied strongly for Kelce.

By the same token, Castillo's love for big fat uglies almost certainly influenced the drafting of say, the big fat turd MJG instead of Pro Bowler Jahri Evans.

These decisions aren't being made in a vacuum. I'm not a big fan of Howie and his manic draft day strategies, but it's not all on him.
                            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                              The guys in charge of the draft know what kind of player the coaches want and will tailor their picks accordingly. And the coaches have some say as well -- not the final say, but they have input.

Do you really think Howard Mudd had no say in drafting Kelce or Watkins -- or bringing in DeVan? It's been reported that Mudd, in particular, lobbied strongly for Kelce.

By the same token, Castillo's love for big fat uglies almost certainly influenced the drafting of say, the big fat turd MJG instead of Pro Bowler Jahri Evans.

These decisions aren't being made in a vacuum. I'm not a big fan of Howie and his manic draft day strategies, but it's not all on him.
                              Those were my points exactly. If Castillo were still the OL coach, we wouldn't have Kelce at C, Mathis at G, or Herremans at RT. We would have Jackson at C, Herremans at LG, and Justice at RT.
                              Castillo was the OL coach for at least one Senior Bowl and also coached at one of the combines. He must have had some input into the offensive linemen that were drafted during his watch. If he didn't, then either he wasn't doing his job or they didn't want to listen to him.
                              Last edited by stocknowledge; 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X