Speed Tracking Tech and Senior Bowl Info On Eagles Rooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Tracking Tech and Senior Bowl Info On Eagles Rooks

I've lost my somewhat lengthy post twice while typing, so I won't type it again. I'll just post the link.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagl...-20200511.html

Those stats are somewhat misleading. The article said that Sanders hit 20.9 MPH last year. If he ran that during the combine his 40 time would be in the 3.90 range (21 MPH equals 30.801 feet per second) Granted there is a difference between reaching a speed and maintaining it plus the 'off the line' delay that comes from a 40 yard dash type of measurement. I guess what I'm getting at is that there should be a hybrid stat between a 40 time and a playing speed time that would be a better indicator of an athlete's true speed. But regardless the athleticism the Eagles selected is impressive - of course it was also impressive when they drafted Mamula and we know how that worked out. Speed plus 'on-the-field-effectiveness' is the formula they should ber using, not just pure speed. A fast wide receiver who can't catch the ball is not very useful and will quickly become detrimental as defenses roll coverage away from that player daring the QB to throw to him.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

The best way to measure speed is still the game film IMO. I've never seen anybody with a 2nd gear like DJAX who looks like he's been overthrown and kicks it up a notch to catch it.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        The best way to measure speed is still the game film IMO. I've never seen anybody with a 2nd gear like DJAX who looks like he's been overthrown and kicks it up a notch to catch it.
        I totally agree. I compared college videos of DJax to J Reagor. Both of them are good punt returners and have speed (Reagor needs to stop fumbling). But, DJ just has something extra. When DJ gets behind you, he is gone. Reagor just does not seem quite as fast and really doesn't leave the secondary in the dust like DJ.

I wish DJ could stay healthy. The man is something special when he is on the field.

Comment

My thoughts were leaning in the same direction generally speaking. I had a lengthy commentary regarding the stats, but I lost the post twice. In my disgust, I decided against trying a third time.

I did note that the author discussed the stats in a compare/contrast to the Combine evaluation methods. Surely, league FOs crunch all of this information in addition to what is gleaned from game film. An 'all-of-the-above' approach, rather than an 'either/or' approach. Multiple data sources/data points may provide nuance to what is seen on game film....or maybe not.

Comment

The best way to measure speed is still the game film IMO.
            Says you, and everyone who passed on Jerry Rice in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
              Says you, and everyone who passed on Jerry Rice in the draft.
              I have no idea what that means EB.

Comment

I have no idea what that means EB.
                Teams passed on Rice because he ran a slower 40. Shoulda gone by his game film. I'm guessing they should have learned a lesson there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                  Teams passed on Rice because he ran a slower 40. Shoulda gone by his game film. I'm guessing they should have learned a lesson there.
                  That might have been before the combine and teams used to hire scouting firms. I think that most teams used BLESTO and seeing as though Rice was from a smaller school they probably didn't spend much time on him.

Comment

I'll take instincts and agility and average + speed. Sometimes that 1 step in a break or after a catch is worth a couple of tenths of a second. However, DJAX doesn't get caught. That is a special trait
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                    X