Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Surprise Luck Retirement/Sudfeld...Didn't take long...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Surprise Luck Retirement/Sudfeld...Didn't take long...

...for this suggestion to pop up. I don't know if I'd do it were I Howie, but I guess it bears consideration IF the Colts are going to ask...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...ent-make-sense

EXCERPT --

• Sure, Sudfeld is injured right now, but he’s been healing from that broken left wrist and is already out of the hard cast. He could return by as early as late September, although October is likely be more realistic. So if the Colts can hang tight until then with Kelly as their backup, Sudfeld could still be the No. 2 in Indy for most of the season. Sudfeld’s injury isn’t the type that will linger. It’s not like this is a soft-tissue injury; once he’s cleared, he’ll be good to go.
    And the Colts have a good enough roster that they should still be in win-now mode even after Luck’s retirement.
    • Sudfeld has plenty of familiarity with Colts head coach Frank Reich, who was previously the Eagles’ offensive coordinator. Sudfeld and Reich were together during the Super Bowl season in 2017, when the Eagles stuck with Sudfeld as their backup into the playoffs after Carson Wentz’s injury despite Sudfeld’s lack of experience. Reich and Sudfeld have a very good relationship.
    • Even before Reich became the head coach in Indy, the Colts were interested in Sudfeld. Remember, they were the team that tried to sign him off the Eagles’ practice squad during the 2017 season. The Eagles reacted and added Sudfeld to their 53-man roster to avoid losing him.
    • After bringing Josh McCown out of retirement, the Eagles are pretty set at their backup quarterback spot. Moving Sudfeld would even eliminate the eventual decision of what to do with that spot when he’s healthy.
    • The Eagles just drafted Clayton Thorson in the fifth round out of Northwestern. Thorson has looked good at times this preseason and could possibly take over for McCown as the Eagles’ backup QB in 2020.
    • Sudfeld is 25 and is getting paid just over $3 million this season after the Eagles used a second-round RFA tender on him this offseason. There’s a good chance Sudfeld gets a contract elsewhere after this season and would be gone anyway. This would give Howie Roseman a chance to recoup something for him before he leaves.
    • This isn’t the best reason to pull off a trade, but Sudfeld probably has plenty of fans in Indiana. He played his college ball for the Hoosiers about an hour drive away from Indianapolis.
    Ever since the Eagles signed Sudfeld to their practice squad in 2017, they’ve really liked him. At every turn, they’ve shown confidence in him. So maybe it would be tough to trade him away. But this type of deal would make sense for both sides if they could agree on the right price.
    Roseman should be on the phone before the shock wears off in Indy.

Going to be interesting to see what Howie is looking for to send Suds to Indy. Maybe a 2nd rder? Would make sense for both sides IMO.
    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

I would say a 3rd at best, and I would be happy with that. Suds had a 2nd round tender, so anyone could have had him for that. Obviously Indy is desperate, but I think the offseason proved that Suds does not have 2nd rd value. The other benefit to the Eagles is that they could keep Thorson.
      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

They are paying him at second round value.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Ain't going to happen Kremski. Who is going to trade for a mediocre at best backup QB with virtually no experience who won't be ready to play until October? Sorry guys but this is so out there. They might give Bethard a shot. He's fallen to number 3 for Frisco. He's behind the kid who played pretty well for them last year. I think his name is Mueller?? Bethard might make sense for both teams.
          Last edited by Eagle60; 08-25-2019, 03:25 PM.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I agree with 60. Suds has very little worth even to a desperate team like the colts.
            In fact I’m not sure tight now he zero value, imm.

Comment

Not sure since I don't know Indy's (or any other team's) backup QB situation. My guess is the league knows a little more about Sudfeld since all teams do recon work. Reich would know even more than others since he was with him. On the face of it he is just another backup QB but the birds think pretty highly since they tendered him well.
              IMO the question is whether or not you make the move if it is there. I think I would easily do it considering you have McCown and Thorson or some other arm this year. But I don't think you have McCown next year and I don't think Thorson is ready for next year so I'd have to have a little bit of a feel for Sudfeld's mindset but I think he is going to leave as soon as he can because he doesn't want to sit behind Wentz. So, I would probably do it for a 4th but I wouldn't be happy with a 4th. Third would be better. Then, I sit here happy this year but have a concern for next year. If my biggest concern is a backup QB next year I am sitting pretty
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

The backup qb I think is suspended for the first two games too. If Suds isn't available then, Indy would be expecting a 0-2 start. I just don't see the fit. A RB to Houston, however, makes much more sense.

Comment

I couldn't believe all those Eagles fans happened to be in Indy to boo the guy for retiring.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Sudfeld has 5th maybe 4th round value at best and that is to a team like the Colts who are desperate. I could see a player for player type deal though, like a LB or interior offensive lineman coming back.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                    X