• Show
Clear All

• Tre Sullivan released to give him time to catch on

Eagles cut Tre Sullivan, sign a safety
    The end of an era.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Aug 27, 2019, 6:00pm EDT

NFL: JUL 25 Eagles Training Camp
    Photo by John Jones/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
    The Philadelphia Eagles made a safety switcheroo on Tuesday evening by waiving Tre Sullivan and signing free agent Jason Thompson (not to be confused with the former NBA player with the same name), according to an official announcement from the team.

The Eagles cutting Sullivan is noteworthy. It once looked like the 2017 undrafted rookie free agent signing out of Division II Shepherd might have some kind of future with the team. Sullivan spent a portion of the 2017 season on the Eagles’ practice squad, including when Philadelphia won the Super Bowl. Sullivan was on the Eagles’ roster for 12 regular season games in 2018 and even made one start before then also starting one of the team’s two playoff games.

Back when Malcolm Jenkins (holdout) and Rodney McLeod (injury) weren’t participating in OTAs earlier this year, Sullivan was taking first team reps across from Andrew Sendejo. Now the 24-year-old defensive back is gone.

It’s not a shock that the Eagles decided to move on from Sullivan. He’s noticeably struggled in the Eagles’ first three preseason games. With that said, there was some thought the team would waive him during final cuts and try to keep him on the practice squad. It looks like that won’t be happening now as the Eagles give Sullivan a chance to log some snaps during another team’s final preseason game. Perhaps former Eagles vice president of player personnel and current Jets general manager Joe Douglas will put a claim in on Sullivan.

As for the new guy the Eagles signed, Thompson is a 25-year-old who entered the league as an undrafted rookie free agent back in 2017. He’s bounced around on some offseason rosters but has never played a regular season game. The Eagles likely signed Thompson just to help them fill some snaps in Thursday’s meaningless preseason finale.

Thompson is the 16th player the Eagles have added to their roster since training camp began in late July.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

And the takeaway is -- "The Eagles likely signed Thompson just to help them fill some snaps in Thursday’s meaningless preseason finale."

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      And the takeaway is -- "The Eagles likely signed Thompson just to help them fill some snaps in Thursday’s meaningless preseason finale."
      I get it but he was in contention for a roster spot. After all he started at the end of the year and played well in the playoffs. The Jets are hurting in their defensive backfield so he could end up there but I understand that they very weak on the corners. Some cb on our roster should be headed the Jets way I imagine.

Comment

Sullivan has been around the team for a few years and he was a bit of a long shot to make the roster. I really wouldn't be surprised the birds sent him packing to let him get a bit of a jump on all the others who are going to be cut this week. That would mean the Eagles have a bit of a soft spot which would go against conventional wisdom.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Sullivan got better last year as the season went along but better after being terrible still doesn't land him on the team. The fact that the Eagles continue to move around their safeties mean after the starters and maybe Sendjo they are not happy with what they have.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

This guy sounds pretty darned good to me!

Johnathan Cyprien was signed by the Eagles during training camp in 2019 after spending the previous two seasons with the Titans (2017-1. Originally a second-round draft choice (33rd overall) by the Jaguars in 2013, Cyprien has amassed 499 tackles (369 solo), 3.0 sacks, 2 INTs, 16 PDs, 4 FFs and 2 FRs in 70 career games (all starts). The Florida native also led all NFL defensive backs with 499 tackles from 2013-17 (missed 2018 due to injury).

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Johnathan Cyprien was signed by the Eagles during training camp in 2019 after spending the previous two seasons with the Titans (2017-1. Originally a second-round draft choice (33rd overall) by the Jaguars in 2013, Cyprien has amassed 499 tackles (369 solo), 3.0 sacks, 2 INTs, 16 PDs, 4 FFs and 2 FRs in 70 career games (all starts). The Florida native also led all NFL defensive backs with 499 tackles from 2013-17 (missed 2018 due to injury).
              I like Cyprien but he seemed to be running 5th or 6th on the depth chart. Funny thing is Thompson who was just signed is ahead of him on the chart.

I feel like they are not done there, they are looking for something beyond the top 3 and I am not sure what it is.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I'm sure the coaches know more than we do but he really has been looking pretty good so far.

Comment

I also liked Cyprien over Sullivan and see an outside chance he makes the team. This game will probably make the difference. There are a handful of guys who are competing for that last one or two spots on the team and I think Cyprien is one of them. As are the DEs.
                  Actually I don't think there is anything settled as to how many DEs or Safeties or OLinemen they are going to carry. I don't think they are locked in that you have to carry 9 OL or 10 OL, 9 DL or 10 DL. Certainly special teams play will make a difference but I also think it will make a difference if they find a trading partner.
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    I also liked Cyprien over Sullivan and see an outside chance he makes the team. This game will probably make the difference. There are a handful of guys who are competing for that last one or two spots on the team and I think Cyprien is one of them. As are the DEs.
                    Actually I don't think there is anything settled as to how many DEs or Safeties or OLinemen they are going to carry. I don't think they are locked in that you have to carry 9 OL or 10 OL, 9 DL or 10 DL. Certainly special teams play will make a difference but I also think it will make a difference if they find a trading partner.
                    With Peters, V and Kelce moving on the next 2 years the Eagles may go heavy in the O line with youngsters.

Comment

Working...
                    X