Observations from yesterdays game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from yesterdays game

Bad calls, Bad play, overall bad day for our Birds. I would like to Thank the NFL and Tony Corrente for making the game unwatchable. Its very tough to win games when you make a few mistakes and the other team is basically allowed to violate the rules of the game at will. I think Seattle is a bad football team that has one good player, they play dirty and cheap and I hope against all hope we play them here in the playoffs with a fairly officated game.

1. Wentz - Stats look good, however he didn't play good, he was OK, he showed a ton of grit in this game, consistently getting hit late, in the head, he fumbled (first turnover in the Red zone all year), he did miss some throws but he also did his thing,he made some hudani type throws, he extended drives with his legs. Overall a C type performance and in a game where the officals clearly bet for the other side that is not going to win it. Wentz clearly was affected from the cheap shot (which was called) early in the game.

2. Nelson Agholor was a man possessed in this game. He probably could have went for 200 yards had it not been for a missed pass by Wentz.

3. I am gravely concerned about Zach Ertz, two concussions in three weeks does look good for the future. Resigning Burton may be more of a priority than we think.

4. Pederson was conservative in the first half, I wonder how much of that was Wentz, how much of it was the officials and how much of that was bad execution. I don't blame him for not challenging the lateral, I blame the officals for not getting a clear forward pass correct on the field, especially after they clearly should have won the earlier challenge. I think Doug knew at that point that Rodger and his band of idiots in the front office were going to make sure they lose this one.

5. Kelce and Wisnewski had their worst games of the year. Vaiti had his moments of not playing well too.

6. Russell Wilson is a school yard QB who got lucky last night. The officials played a role in every drive in which they scored. A better officated game and he looks very human.

7. I know this will be controversial but I am not real happy with Jenkins right now. I like the fact that he is standing for something with the Players collation but lets face it, he is not playing his best ball right now and I wonder how much of this is the outside issues?

8. Kendricks looked like garbage yesterday. Bit hard on the last TD that Seattle scored (after the illegal pitch). Was out of place several times.

Finally the officials. I heard the talk of the Eagles didn't play well didn't deserve to win. I say hog wash to that. All three TD's that Seattle scored came when the officials decided they wanted to re write the rules for holding major missed calls and generally just a horribly bad crew.
    1. Defensive holding called when Jimmy Graham tripped over his own feet, drive extended TD. No contact. Same type of play later in the game that Smith gets his feet tangled and they pick of the flag. Its one thing to miss a call but its another to not be consistent.

2. Another play where Darby got called for pass interference when he never touched the player in fact he was looking for the ball, never impeded the receiver. In other words good coverage. PI called, drive extended TD.

3. Clear forward lateral not called, its called all the time in those situations. Instead of blasting the officials for MISSING THE CALL, they blast Doug for not challenging it. Sorry its the Officials fault for missing the call. Honestly after they blew the challenge before I can't blame Doug for not challenging it. Its a crap shoot at the league office as to whether you win these any more.

4. Earlier on the 2nd TD Beau Allen is being held around the neck on a 3rd down, forces Wilson out of the pocket and he completes the pass. The Eagles are called for a hold on a drive that they wind up punting, that Wis pancaked the guy.

5. Officials correctly call an off sides on Frank Clark, However he was unabated to the QB the play should have been blown dead, Not only did he get a clean shot on Wentz, He launched at him and hit him in the head. NO CALL except for the off sides. That is DANGEROUS and this officiating crew should be put out to pasture along with Pete Fucking Morrelli.

6. The Eagles are down at the goal line right before Wentz fumbled. Michael Bennett grabs Johnson's facemask, pulls down on it and continued to after the play was over. That should have been called, BTW that may have changed the next play call, as it would have been first down on the 1.

One other observation, Doug needs to think about this, when a team is taking cheap shots at your QB you need to retaliate. The shot to Wentz head after he slid was DIRTY and the DB knew what he was doing. Then the launching, then the shots on Wentz after he threw the ball when the DE were taking 3 and 4 steps. I would not have cared if the Eagles got a 15 yarder for taking a shot at Wilson. Maybe then Seattle would have stopped their CHEAP play. Because if Wilson gets hurt Seattle is a 2 win team.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Agree with a lot of what you said.
    On the off sides when Wentz got hot I thought he was grimacing after he got up. That was a clear path and hit to the QB that should have been flagged. Looked to me like Kendricks was a little slow last night and it actually looks to me like he is putting on weight. Might be me but he looks heavy.
    I think Burton is a shoe in to be signed if he is at all reasonable. They look to lose Celek for certain so he will be #2. They have been looking at TEs so maybe Burton's agent is putting high end numbers out there.
    Kelce is okay. Not sure he is the best center in the league (as cited by Collinsworth) but he is surely mid pack or better. The whole line played as the team did--mediocre and uninspired
    The birds got beat up with penalties--whether it was blocking in the back or DBs holding or whatever. It is hard to beat both the other team and the refs but the birds had the opportunities to win unfortunately the O couldn't get in a groove. Big play here or there but that was followed up by a missed pass or something. Seattle is a dirty team IMO but this game was there for the birds if they played aggressively. And officials get calls wrong. That is why the coach gets a challenge. Doug missed on his challenges yesterday
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Two other things. I think Doug should have gone for it on 4th down early in the game. Then later it didn't look like such a good time to go for it. The later 4th down plays aren't really an issue for me. The first one though I think set the tone for the team.
      Blount continues to do nothing for me. He gets good runs when there is a good hole but all the backs get good yards when there is a big hole. Blount hits guys hard and maybe wears on them a little but he has no moves. I really believe Ajayi and Clement are the best backs
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

The officials do get way too many calls wrong, however the way the challenge system is I don't blame Doug for not challenging that play. The call on the field was a lateral, it would have taken an act of god for Riveron and his bumbling stumbling bunch of crappy officials to change that. Officiating in the NFL is both bad and the League office is using that to effect games. When you start hearing things like the line judge the Eagles are 0-8 when he calls their games. He threw 4 penalties on the Eagles last night all of which resulted in first downs and converted 3rd downs and were on the 14 points, He also "" missed the lateral play and one were the Seahags scored points. All were not penalties. The league knows these stats, they know that by putting a guy like this out there it gives them the desired effect of keeping the Eagles from running away with things. Look the Eagles would beat Seattle 9 out of 10 games they are the better team. Let the teams on the field decide not the officials. Funny thing is if they would have let them play it would have been a highly entertaining game as the Eagles did miss on a few plays. Seattle may have still won doubt it though.

Comment

I actually don’t think the lateral would have been overturned. Think they would have said not clear an upheld it.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

toss this one in the garbage and on to the next game. a loss in week 13 beats dropping the last game of the year. On to a new streak.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

How did they not overturn that first challenge? He clearly caught the ball beyond the marker and was contacted immediately at that point.
              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                How did they not overturn that first challenge? He clearly caught the ball beyond the marker and was contacted immediately at that point.
                Exactly cause and effect. Blame Doug all you want but the fact is the way the game was officiated effected how Doug coached and the team played. Its clear as day. I am not sure why writers in this town, announcers etc don't get that. If you criticize the officials then you are a crybaby. No not the case at all, One missed call is one thing, two missed calls is another , missed call after missed call phantom penalties etc is a pattern and one that most teams even the best team in the league find hard to overcome. Its makes the corners play timid as they are not sure what a penalty is or not, it makes the QB play too fast as they are not sure if they are going to get hit when a player is unabated to the QB or cheap shotted after he gets rid of the ball, it makes a coach coach differently if they know that even when the video evidence is clear that they know they will not win the challenge. The officials need to do their job period. They are suppose to be neutral observers, in this game it was very obvious that they were not neutral.

Comment

For whatever reason, this was not to be the Eagles night. Whether it was through obvious officiating bias / inconsistency or the fact that the birds were just slightly off.

Comment

Sure there were so questionable calls but Seattle deserved to win. Russell has been doing this all year and he was sensational last night. Wentz came out tight and missed or not accurate enough on some plays and it cost us. It's no disgrace to lose to that team on a Sunday night when they are playing for their lives. Tip your cap because they kicked our ass. The game next Sunday is even bigger than this one. We've got to play better.

Blaming Goodell for this loss is the most ridiculous thing that I've read here for awhile. Come on, that's just sour grapes. The one thing that I just don't understand is the league's stance on challenging spotting of the ball. It's like some unwritten rule that the spot is always right. WTF? That challenge wasn't even close it was so obvious. Maybe they should just have a rule that you can't challenge a spot because the rulings are never reversed.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Agree with you guys on the lousy officiating but if there is such a thing called a "good loss" that game was one. Stay on the West Coast, clean up a few things, and beat the hell out of the Lambs next Sunday.
                      GO BIRDS!!!
                      Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Formme this was a game the Eagles gave away. Wentz missed a wide open Agholor in the first quarter. There was no one between him and a TD from the Seattle 45. Wetnz fumbles at the 1 and then over throws Clements late in the game for what could ha e been another TD or at he very least a big gain. The lateral challenge would negate the last Seahag score and this game should have been a solid Eagles win 31-17.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                          Formme this was a game the Eagles gave away. Wentz missed a wide open Agholor in the first quarter. There was no one between him and a TD from the Seattle 45. Wetnz fumbles at the 1 and then over throws Clements late in the game for what could ha e been another TD or at he very least a big gain. The lateral challenge would negate the last Seahag score and this game should have been a solid Eagles win 31-17.
                          I'd change should to could Juk. It was disappointing but not the end to the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post

Teams are rarely perfect, QB's are rarely perfect. What you are saying is that if Wentz was perfect the Eagles would have won. Maybe, the way the officials were calling this one it would have still been a tough road to haul.

The one play that really got me was the screen to Barner, if he doesn't slip he catches that probably scores. It looked like an overthrow due to the pressure on Wentz, upon review you could see Barner slip which threw off the timing of the play.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                              Teams are rarely perfect, QB's are rarely perfect. What you are saying is that if Wentz was perfect the Eagles would have won. Maybe, the way the officials were calling this one it would have still been a tough road to haul.

The one play that really got me was the screen to Barner, if he doesn't slip he catches that probably scores. It looked like an overthrow due to the pressure on Wentz, upon review you could see Barner slip which threw off the timing of the play.
                              When nothing is going right that crap happens I guess. We've just got to play better this week in such a huge game. We'll find out what we're made of. I think that we'll come out smoking but the Rams will be ready for us. At least the crowd won't be as bad and we might be able to use our regular snap count. Maybe Wentz won't be running for his life again too.

Comment

Working...
                              X