Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback 1999: Donovan McNabb or...

...the guy I wanted...

"I'll have to talk with my family and Coach (Nick) Saban to really see what the best decision is for me," Ricky Williams told USA Today. "As of right now, it doesn't exist. Nothing does, except today. I could die tonight."

Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

I'm proud to say that i was content w/ Duce and wanted McNabb.

Then again, i was a big fan of trading up for McDougle.

Comment

I liked Cade McNown, Daunte Culpepper and Ricky Williams.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I was 50/50 on Donovan. I knew for a fact that I didn't want Akili Smith.

Comment

I really wanted a QB and was 100% on the McNabb pick over Ricky Williams. And, I got really pissed off watching the stupid dirty 30 boo him.

That being said, McNabb was not my #1 QB choice. I wanted a QB in the following order:

1) Couch
          2) McNabb
          3) Culpepper

I thought for sure that Couch was going to be a terrific NFL QB. And, I wanted no part of Smith or McNown.

Comment

Oh I hated HATED Akili Smith...

...I also though Couch was going to be freaking sweet.
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

yaknow, im fairly certain that none of those other qbs - MAYBE daunte - could have survived on this team. our o line used to suck and so did our wrs.
              Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

I wanted Couch over McNabb too but never even factored into the equation cause he was absolutely going #1.

So I wasn't 100% on McNabb but I just prayed we wouldnt do something dumb like take Smith. Remember how much hype Smith got?

Comment

I was right there with you Vin. I wanted Couch first then McNabb although towards the end of the week prior to the draft Jaws was telling everyone who would listen how great Akili Smith was going to be. I still remember watching a 10 segment on ESPN where Jaws talked about Smiths mechanics and how great his release was. He must have said 10 times how impressed he was with the spiral Smith could put on the ball. When it was over I remember thinking I was probably wrong about him and maybe it would be a good idea to trade down and take him later in the first. I never thought Smith would really end up going 3rd. I was also hoping that they would find a way to get Torry Holt - when he went at 5 (?) I was shocked. I though he'd be a mid to late round pick. Shows what I know.....
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I wanted Couch

primarily because we spent so many years with a mobile QB who couldn't play under any sort of gameplan.

I labelled McNabb as a mobile QB that couldn't play from the pocket.

boy was I wrong.

then again I wasn't so happy with that no name coach Andy Reid. Who the fuck was he?

Comment

that draft is what brought me to the old philly.com boards....

I think I was the only one who wanted Akili Smith. What a fucking idiot I was! I did not want Ricky Williams, though, so maybe I did know something...

Comment

I wanted to take Ditka's deal - swap our pick for the Saints' entire draft, then take Cade McNown. Shows what I know...
                        The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy like the monkey
                          I wanted to take Ditka's deal - swap our pick for the Saints' entire draft, then take Cade McNown. Shows what I know...
                          I don't know. We might have been able to make that work. Minus the Cade McNown part. I mean McNabb might or might not be any more physically gifted than Akili Smith or Culpepper. He just had the right coach. Not saying Culpepper or Smith might have been just as good.. i'm just saying they had shitty shitty coaches. And the right coach and situation makes all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
                            I'm proud to say that i was content w/ Duce and wanted McNabb.

Then again, i was a big fan of trading up for McDougle.
                            Me too. On all accounts.

I was in Texas at the time and despite being a Longhorn fan I did not want Ricky. I was a huge Duce fan and loved McNabb from watching SYR play a lot on TV.

Me and my boy got into an argument on draft day because he wanted Ricky.

Comment

UPDATE

Ricky Williams, RB MIA

News: The Miami Herald reports that Ricky Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, said that his client is contractually obligated to return to the Dolphins after the 2006 season and cannot return to the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. "He's had a wonderful experience, and it really is a good organization," Steinberg said, "but his respect for coach Saban is extremely strong."

* So strong in fact that Ricky lit up a giant blunt after the press conference so he could get suspended again and be kicked off Saban's team for good.
                              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                              Playoff Appearances:
                              NFC Title Games:
                              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                              X