The Fact that Jackson is #1 Ahead of Fraley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fact that Jackson is #1 Ahead of Fraley

Almost all of us are happy that Jackson is the #1 center. Everyone can notice the difference between the two and that Jackson looks better and is a better run blocker. This is the main problem I have. Jackson was on the team before Fraley got hurt. If it was so obvious that Jackson was better then why couldn't the coaches notice that in practice. They see these guys everyday and are supposed to put the best players on the field. There is obviously some type of reason that I do not like that Jackson wasn't playing earlier. The coaches do a good job, but sometime they have me scratching my head on some decisions they make. This is one of them. There was no excuse for Jackson not playing earlier when they see these two in practice everday. This was totally unacceptable.

L$ - Jackson's 1st year in the league - he was undrafted and on the practice squad ('03).

In '04 - he was on injured reserve. So I assume your beef is with him not starting the '05 season from the get-go? Perhaps Jackson needed time to get up to speed. My guess is that he was developing over the course of the 8 weeks up to Fraley's injury last year. I wouldn't get so worked up about this. They turned around, acknowledged Jackson's talents and signed him long term.

Comment

Whenever it seems like the better PLAYER is being sat for a guy who's less talented, i'll wager that it's always because the more talented guy hasn't proven that he knows his playbook and all of his assignments to AR's satisfaction.

Comment

It's a good point. I'd say though that perhaps it's taken a while to get Jackson READY to play. Last year when he came in there was a drastic increase in false starts and some bad exchanges between him and the QB. Perhaps this had something to do with it, and with time he's gotten better.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
          L$ - Jackson's 1st year in the league - he was undrafted and on the practice squad ('03).

In '04 - he was on injured reserve. So I assume your beef is with him not starting the '05 season from the get-go? Perhaps Jackson needed time to get up to speed. My guess is that he was developing over the course of the 8 weeks up to Fraley's injury last year. I wouldn't get so worked up about this. They turned around, acknowledged Jackson's talents and signed him long term.
          That could be a good point. That may be true, but I still think there was enough time to start Jackson before Fraley got hurt. Let's say Fraley didn't get hurt. Do you think Jackson would still be the #1 center right now? The same thing happened when we got our asses handed to us against Tampa Bay in the NFCC game. Blaine Bishop clearly wasn't anywhere close to 100%, but he started ahead of Lewis. If Lewis would have played then that long run by Jurivisious wouldn't have happened because Lewis would have tackled him for about a 20 yard gain instead of about 70 yards. Bishop hurt us severely in that game.

Comment

That one will be a "What were they thinking?" for the next two generations.
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

L-Money, I think the disaster of last season has warped your perceptions a bit. First off, as mentioned earlier, Jackson wasn't an option until 2005, and besides, Fraley was a very good center up until last season. Second, by the time Jackson stepped in to the starting lineup the season had already fallen apart (I think his first start was McNabb's last game). So all the mistakes and inexperience he showed were acceptable, because we were in developmental mode. But Jackson making three false starts a game would have looked a whole lot worse at the beginning of the season when the Eagles were still contenders. We would have been calling for his head.

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
                Whenever it seems like the better PLAYER is being sat for a guy who's less talented, i'll wager that it's always because the more talented guy hasn't proven that he knows his playbook and all of his assignments to AR's satisfaction.
                Or perhaps that the fans are wrong....and do not have all the facts...
                Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Umm, wouldn't this theory apply to any player that replaces another player at some point in time?

I mean not every player shows how good they are in week one of TC?

Did TO(back in the day)?

Chris Carter?

Jimmy Smith?

Sorry, but I don't think it's as black and white as L$ makes it seem.

Many times, in many sports, it does take an injury for another player to shine and maybe it's that opportunity itself that allows the "new" player to shine, maybe that is when the light comes on.

Comment

Originally posted by L-Money
                    Originally posted by stevemc

That could be a good point. That may be true, but I still think there was enough time to start Jackson before Fraley got hurt. Let's say Fraley didn't get hurt. Do you think Jackson would still be the #1 center right now? The same thing happened when we got our asses handed to us against Tampa Bay in the NFCC game. Blaine Bishop clearly wasn't anywhere close to 100%, but he started ahead of Lewis. If Lewis would have played then that long run by Jurivisious wouldn't have happened because Lewis would have tackled him for about a 20 yard gain instead of about 70 yards. Bishop hurt us severely in that game.
                    We have no idea what Lewis would have or not have done in that game...pure speculation and reaching IMO to support your weak case...

Steve lays out the facts well...Fraley was the captain of a SB OL...there was very little reason to suddenly the next season push the starter out and put in Jackson who had never proven anything...

Fraley got his job when Bubba Miller got injured and kept it...looks like the same thing happened to Fraley...Jackson took advantage of his chance just like Fraley did...Jackson still has to prove he can eliminate the mistakes and captain the OL like Fraley did along with all the other OC duties in this system...I am confident he can and will, but this camp is really the first evidence IMO...
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I think there might be a bit of a catch-22 involved. Some players don't show it until they get on the field on gameday. They don't really show it in practice. But, because they don't show it in practice, they don't get a chance on gameday. Just think Darwin Walker.

Comment

The same thing could be asked about JJ's reticence to play Trotter over Simoneau in the first few games of 2004. Trotter obviously knew the defense (He had been here before) and everybody and his brother knew he was a better player than Simy.
                        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge
                          The same thing could be asked about JJ's reticence to play Trotter over Simoneau in the first few games of 2004. Trotter obviously knew the defense (He had been here before) and everybody and his brother knew he was a better player than Simy.
                          exactly!

and this happens all over the NFL. Plenty of guys have more ability than the guy starting ahead of them. They often don't get the chance until there is an injury

Though Belichek is an idiot for not starting Brady over Bledsoe

Comment

Originally posted by L-Money
                            If Lewis would have played then that long run by Jurivisious wouldn't have happened because Lewis would have tackled him for about a 20 yard gain instead of about 70 yards. Bishop hurt us severely in that game.
                            After watching Lewis get burned last year, you want to make such a statement? Lewis WAS NOT ready.....in my opinion.

Money, you have to play to prove yourself. Jackson had ZERO playing time to Fraley's 3 years.........each year the team made it to the NFCCG. The position is NOT just about playing. It requires the starter to captain the line. He has to KNOW the plays, know the defenses, know the abilities of the players on obth sides and know the right call to defend against the defense. On top of that, he has to snap to DM.

You just don't turn that over to a guy because of his playing ability. He has to have the whole package. You don't know if he has it until he plays. At times, he showed last year that he was not the complete package, but he showed enough pop in the run game for us to hope he could improve in those weak areas (snapping and calls). That experince and a ful summer as a starter just may do it.

PS. Being the starter at the beginning of camp did not mean he was going to be the starter, but evidently, he showed up and proved in such a short time he was better at snapping and play calling, so, the new contract.
                            Pedro

Comment

i always blamed the jurevicious play on the failure to keep trotter.
                              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                              X