Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officiating is so bad I turned off the Carolina GB game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officiating is so bad I turned off the Carolina GB game.

The absolutely obscene homer roughing call on Panthers McCoy was the final straw. As bad as the general state of NFL officiating has been the last several years, IMO it is noticeably worse this season. I believe the new and very fucked up approach to calling PI is a factor in the decline. But beyond the PI nonsense, I think that there are simply too many arrogant officials who just plain suck at their very important job.

The NFL is a multi billion dollar business that can certainly afford to pay well trained, athletic officials who's only job is officiating NFL games. They owe nothing less to the teams and the fans.

BTW, Dallas sucks ass and Roger Goodell is a soulless, greedy whore.

It's really bad this year Tino. I am watching about 50% less football this year (even Eagles games). I just can't take all the inconsistency from the refs.

I don't blame it entirely on the refs. All the rule changes and inconsistency from the NFL front offices make it hard for them to do their job also.

PS-Yes, Dallas sucks. Go Vikes !

Comment

McCoy got his payback later but that was a terrible call that might not have been a 'points thing' but certainly changed the game and impacted the result. I may have called it wrong but I would've thought it intentional grounding
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Too many rules, interrupted to many different ways by the officials. It is costing too many teams games. I don't know what the answer is, have another official in the booth that reviews every call? Even that there is too much gray area in calls.

Whatever they do they have to do something because this game is being ruined. And BTW its not just at the pro level its happening at the college level too.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          Too many rules, interrupted to many different ways by the officials. It is costing too many teams games. I don't know what the answer is, have another official in the booth that reviews every call? Even that there is too much gray area in calls.

Whatever they do they have to do something because this game is being ruined. And BTW its not just at the pro level its happening at the college level too.
          Like you said taz I'm sure that nobody has an answer. Maybe if a player was disqualified or went into the penalty box it would help. That definitely should be the rule for blocks in the back. How stupid are you to do do that anyway? Do they have to label guys front and back to figure it out? Unreal.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

All PF, late hits, roughing etc., should be able to be IMMEDIATELY REVIEWED onsite by the booth and the flag immediately picked up. It should just be happening and we shouldn't even notice it. That's how fast it should be actually with all penalties.

I have no idea why in the age of replay why there are not 2 or 3 review officials running back the play within 5 seconds of it being over talking to the white cap saying pick that flag up or that was clearly a face mask or that was clearly OPI or DPI.

We would eventually get used to it.

And the replays would convince the fans.

Don't spend a lot of time on it just take a quick look from a few angles in realtime right after the play is over and make a call and move on.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              All PF, late hits, roughing etc., should be able to be IMMEDIATELY REVIEWED onsite by the booth and the flag immediately picked up. It should just be happening and we shouldn't even notice it. That's how fast it should be actually with all penalties.

I have no idea why in the age of replay why there are not 2 or 3 review officials running back the play within 5 seconds of it being over talking to the white cap saying pick that flag up or that was clearly a face mask or that was clearly OPI or DPI.

We would eventually get used to it.

And the replays would convince the fans.

Don't spend a lot of time on it just take a quick look from a few angles in realtime right after the play is over and make a call and move on.
              Fully and totally agree --- best way to use the technology of todays game. Great post AW!!

Comment

Great post AW!!!

Comment

The question is AW your plan would slow down the amount of bad calls, but how about the calls that are missed? That is the ones that really effect games. I keep going back to the Atlanta game this year we lost the game at the end because Jones went for a TD while both of our defenders where being blocked in the back. No flag was called but that should have been.

The other thing is they review every scoring play but do they review it for penalties not called?
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                    The question is AW your plan would slow down the amount of bad calls, but how about the calls that are missed? That is the ones that really effect games. I keep going back to the Atlanta game this year we lost the game at the end because Jones went for a TD while both of our defenders where being blocked in the back. No flag was called but that should have been.

The other thing is they review every scoring play but do they review it for penalties not called?
                    Better than we have it today---- let's fix as many problems as we can,,, No?

Comment

Taz... I think they can add a flag too actually.

Best examples of this would be clearly missed face masks or personal fouls where when they show them on the replay board everyone can plainly see what happened.

Miles Sanders against the Lions type of stuff.

But I would NOT go into some super duper slow mo where you blow up the sideline or something like that to see if his foot is inbounds.

Use a few different angles and slow mo and if after a few views you don't see a need to change it then don't. Move on.

the problem with replay is not that they use it but that they agonize over it. Just look at it and be practical. Is it reasonably clear that that was a facemask that was missed or that it was called a DPI but both players were really shoving each other.

I'll give you a great example... last night Cooper caught that ball and sort of pushed off but to be honest both players were all over each other really. I'd let that go. Not a DPI or OPI. And then when they called the DPI or whatever on the Witten play just look at that and say no way. Pick that up.
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

What really slows these games down are the 45 second penalty huddles after each flag. Just signal the head official and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                          Taz... I think they can add a flag too actually.

But I would NOT go into some super duper slow mo where you blow up the sideline or something like that to see if his foot is inbounds.

Use a few different angles and slow mo and if after a few views you don't see a need to change it then don't. Move on.

the problem with replay is not that they use it but that they agonize over it. Just look at it and be practical. Is it reasonably clear that that was a facemask that was missed or that it was called a DPI but both players were really shoving each other.
                          Abso F'n lutely. A guy in the booth who can quickly see what appears to be mistakes. Look at it in real time and make a call. If it is obvious you should be able to make the call. He should probably be able to do it before the paly clock begins. If it is sooooo damn hard to tell let it go. Said it from day one.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                            Abso F'n lutely. A guy in the booth who can quickly see what appears to be mistakes. Look at it in real time and make a call. If it is obvious you should be able to make the call. He should probably be able to do it before the paly clock begins. If it is sooooo damn hard to tell let it go. Said it from day one.
                            The ones that get me are when an official is 5 feet away and calls a guy in bounds on the sideline and after 5 minutes of watching they overturn the call. It seems to me that the official right there on the spot trailing the runner by 10 feet has the best view!!

Comment

Officiating is terrible this year. The OPI DPI rule is the dumbest thing to hit the NFL. Plus the freaking guy in NY reviewing calls is an absolute moron and an egotistical jerk. The Cards/Bucs game had an obvious DPI at the end of the game with no booth review. Even the announcers were waiting to see if the booth would review and nope! Funny thing is college reviews targeting catch or not catch and so many other things without using a coaches challenge and the game still flows.

Comment

Working...
                              X