OT: TDK-related ads in away cities getting publicity for animal shelters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: TDK-related ads in away cities getting publicity for animal shelters

I don't like that anybody on the Eagles has to answer a question about this -- they don't need the distractions -- but I've gotta admit, I thought the ad was funny, and if it leads to donations to animal rescue or something, hey why not:

Newspaper ads to follow Vick and the Eagles

By MARCUS HAYES
    Philadelphia Daily News
    [email protected]

They're still dogging him.
    Just not the way they planned.

Main Line Animal Rescue has backed off its idea to use billboard space to further excoriate Michael Vick. Instead, it is buying ad space in newspapers that operate in cities the Eagles and Vick will visit.

The ads will encourage local animal lovers to visit shelters to pamper pit bulls on the day the Eagles and Vick play in that city. The shelter also pledges five bags of dog food for every time Vick gets tackled that day.
    "Rather than slamming the guy for the next couple of years, we thought, 'Why not come up with something funny?' " explained Bill Smith, founder of Main Line Animal Rescue.

The Eagles are not amused.

The ad ran in the special football section of today's Washington Post. It ran a day after Vick spoke to local students about his misdeeds, the latest of several such scheduled appearances by Vick coordinated by the team and local and national animal interests.

Vick was not made available for comment. The Eagles declined to comment.

Relax, Smith said: "We're not thinking about attacking Michael Vick."

They hope opponents will, though. All of which sounds like a pretty clear shot at the Birds and their newest ex-con, from one of the organizations that reacted most violently to Vick's signing.

Vick served 18 months of a 23-month prison sentence for running a dogfighting and gambling operation in Virginia. Upon his release and conditional reinstatement to the league last month, the Birds signed him to a 2-year contract.

Immediately after the signing, Smith and Co. pledged to rent billboard space near Lincoln Financial Field to protest Vick's presence inside it.

And now?

"We're all really tired of it," Smith said. Besides, he said, Vick has served his prison term: "He has a right to have a job."

Full participation in that job will wait until Sept. 27. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week suspended Vick for the first two games of the season.

Smith anticipated a 6-week suspension, which is what Goodell hinted at in August. That's why the first ad ran in the Post, said Smith; it is a Week 7 opponent. He said he would not seek to buy ad space in Bay-area papers when the Birds visit Oakland the week before the Redskins game.

Smith said he already has contacted newspapers in San Diego and Chicago, where the Eagles visit in November. He said he would consider placing ads later in the season, too. The Eagles play in Atlanta against Vick's previous team, then in New York and Dallas.

The ad itself might change, Smith said. He plans for one version to note that Vick received a second chance, and so do animals, especially pit bulls, whose image as dangerous killers was further harmed by Vick's crimes.

Smith realizes that the program might not generate much puppy chow. Vick is slated to be a backup quarterback whom the Eagles plan to use as an X-factor, included in specialty plays on which he might act as a decoy.

So, Vick might not get tackled much, if at all. Smith said the Rescue would donate a minimum amount of food regardless of how much Vick gets hit.

The humor level of the ad is a subjective matter. The subject matter - especially the inclusion of Vick and the reward to animals when Vick gets punished - is not.

"We're not stupid," Smith said. "We're using Michael Vick to get attention."

It's working.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Has there ever been such a broo-ha-ha over a player who sucks this bad?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Should we get up big on the Skins, Andy should put TDK in to be a tackling dummy the last quarter.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

If this guy wants to do this, fine. It is hard however to get much more aggressive since TDK is (so far) doing the right things and saying the right things.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Has there ever been such a broo-ha-ha over a player who sucks this bad?
          Brian Bosworth?
          Long Live Section 736

Comment

Originally posted by QuitoPhan View Post
            Brian Bosworth?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

He hardly sucks...and has never sucked his entire career

The guy has undenieable talent and a unique set of skills...we'll see if he and the Eagles can take advantage of it

As for the ad, it was funny and as long as the guy is honest in saying he is using Vick to get publicity and steps down from the high horse alot of these other organizations are on, I am fine with it...
              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                He hardly sucks...and has never sucked his entire career

The guy has undenieable talent and a unique set of skills...we'll see if he and the Eagles can take advantage of it

As for the ad, it was funny and as long as the guy is honest in saying he is using Vick to get publicity and steps down from the high horse alot of these other organizations are on, I am fine with it...
                The guy has a unique talent set, but he has definitely sucked at being an NFL QB, which is the position he plays.
                Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Disagree...sucks means he could never do anything right and stunk every time out...that is plainly wrong to be applied to Vick.

He led his team to the NFCCG, won the only playoff game ever lost by the Pack at Lambeau and had his team pretty consistently in the hunt during his tenure despite a poor defense most of the time, poor coaching most of the time and limited talent on O to help him...

If you think he sucks, you're a blind hater...what he is is flawed as a POCKET QB focused on reading defenses, going thru his progressions and hitting the right guy without taking off running or ad-libbing so the play breaks down...

This was the progress McNabb was able to make (which some killed him for) but Vick has not been able to yet...one of the reasons he is here is to help get him to that point with better coaching, mentoring by McNabb, better weapons and OL etc.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I have to agree that as a passing QB, Vick has stunk. As a runner, he's got jets. But a QBneeds to be a great passer, FIRST. It's like the old argument about corners that can smack someone, vs ones that cover well. Cover first, and you don't need to be a great hitter.

Pass the ball and command the pocket well, and you won't have to be a great runner.

TDK can't. Or hasn't.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                      I have to agree that as a passing QB, Vick has stunk. As a runner, he's got jets. But a QBneeds to be a great passer, FIRST. It's like the old argument about corners that can smack someone, vs ones that cover well. Cover first, and you don't need to be a great hitter.

Pass the ball and command the pocket well, and you won't have to be a great runner.

TDK can't. Or hasn't.
                      Wow...pretty shocking considering your stance on McNabb over the years as he made that transition.

Great passer first? When was McNabb a great passer first? When was McNair? Culpepper? Any of the good running QB?

McNabb ran (and Vick and the rest) because they did not yet master the pocket, reading D, running the O etc. and thus had to do what they could to help the team win...once McNabb learned those skills and made the transition, he did not need to run as much and stayed in the pocket running the O fully...

Vick needs to make that same transition...can he is an open question, but until now I would argue he was never really given the full chance. Here he might get that chance finally and then we can see what he'll do with it.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Disagree...sucks means he could never do anything right and stunk every time out...that is plainly wrong to be applied to Vick.

He led his team to the NFCCG, won the only playoff game ever lost by the Pack at Lambeau and had his team pretty consistently in the hunt during his tenure despite a poor defense most of the time, poor coaching most of the time and limited talent on O to help him...
                        -NFCCG - That year they had a pretty good defense and and a good double team of Dunn/Duckett at RB. Not to mention the NFC was putrid that year.
                        -I actually missed the Lambeau game, so I can't really comment on that.

If you think he sucks, you're a blind hater...what he is is flawed as a
                        POCKET QB focused on reading defenses, going thru his progressions and hitting the right guy without taking off running or ad-libbing so the play breaks down...
                        Like I said he doesn't know how to play the QB position. His ad-libbing was mostly successful against crappy NFC defenses like the Saints 2 times a year. Whenever he has faced a good defense with speed (Tampa, Philly) he has been shut down for the most part. And I'm not a blind hater, go back and read the "should Vick be reinstated thread", I was a strong supporter of letting him back in the league, I've just always thought he was a subpar player at the position he was playing.

This was the progress McNabb was able to make (which some killed him for) but Vick has not been able to yet...one of the reasons he is here is to help get him to that point with better coaching, mentoring by McNabb, better weapons and OL etc.
                        By the end of his first year McNabb was already better at the basic fundamentals of being a QB than Vick is now. You want to know why? Because McNabb actually puts in the time off the field.

Great passer first? When was McNabb a great passer first? When was McNair? Culpepper? Any of the good running QB?
                        McNabb and McNair were never "great" passers, but they've always been better than Vick. Culpepper had the benefit of playing with 2 of the top 5-10 best WRs to ever play the game. So while his skill level was probably never much higher than mediocre, he was still able to find success playing in the pocket be cause he could just use his strong arm to throw it as far as he could and Moss/Carter would just go get it.

McNabb ran (and Vick and the rest) because they did not yet master the pocket, reading D, running the O etc. and thus had to do what they could to help the team win...once McNabb learned those skills and made the transition, he did not need to run as much and stayed in the pocket running the O fully...

Vick needs to make that same transition...can he is an open question, but until now I would argue he was never really given the full chance. Here he might get that chance finally and then we can see what he'll do with it.
                        I've seen several quotes throughout the years from former teammates and coaches that Vick never liked to put in the necessary work off the field. So unless he has changed his work ethic I wouldn't count on much of a change. He needs to just bite the bullet and change is number and be listed as a WR.
                        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Main Line Animal Rescue would do better to use the funds people have donated for the animals in their care... not advertisements.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyJack View Post
                            Main Line Animal Rescue would do better to use the funds people have donated for the animals in their care... not advertisements.
                            No shit PJ. If I had donated to the place I'd be BS, and I really can't stand Vick.

Comment

Wow...pretty shocking considering your stance on McNabb over the years as he made that transition.

Every QB that you named here was a passer first. Jim Mora said Vick was a coach killer when his son coached Atlanta, and I believed him. I'm not sure what your stance is here VFK.

Comment

Working...
                              X