Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins20 View Post
so hard to tell on Foles right now. The kid is playing with 4 backup O-Lineman, a 7th round HB who barely even played college ball, no DJax, no McCoy, and last week he was without Celek as well.

put that all together and mix in a defense that has struggled all year, and any QB is going to look like crap

He's made the rookie mistakes like staring down receivers or panicking and not going through his progressions. But all of that is rookie mistakes possibly compounded by what's around him.

I do worry about the long ball. I thought he was said to have a big arm, but he has well underthrown some. A couple that were miraculously caught and a couple nearly or actually picked off.

I think I'd cut Vick, keep Edwards, and wither add someone else in FA or the draft
Dawk he does have a big arm, the thing is his mechanics on the deep ball need work, thus he was a 3rd round pick vs a 1st round pick. . Just go back and look at some of the throws from the Tampa game in particular the last one to Avant that is a big time throw that you need arm strength for. Remember Donovan who I think had a very good long ball he struggled mightly at the begining with it (I think his recievers also had something to do with it)
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
CHIP72 
2013 Contributor
Pro Bowler

CHIP72 is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW, I thought Nick Foles played pretty solidly against Cincinnati excluding that badly underthrown ball that was intercepted, though he needs to lead the offense to touchdowns on a couple of those 2nd quarter possessions that started in Bengals territory. It was most of the rest of the offense (with an assist from the special teams) that was the primary culprit in the loss.

How a team can turn the ball over 4 times in 5 plays is way, way beyond me.
CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
CHIP72 
2013 Contributor
Pro Bowler

CHIP72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
you had me til this part. You do know Wilson is likely to break the rookie passing TD record this year? That kid has been amazing and by far the best rookie QB

Luck gets all the pub. but a closer look at his stats and it's not too impressive
Wilson gets a lot of help from Marshawn Lynch, but anyone who saw the Seahawks/Bears game a few weeks ago (as I did via RedZone) and some of his less spectacular but still numerous very solid performances this year knows Russell Wilson has been the real deal.
CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road

Foles has been spectacular under the circumstances . He is playing behind a line of makeshift parts,rookies,practice squaders and guys playing out of position. Add a 7th rd pick @ RB with little experience in the past 4 years,a new FB and probably one of the most assinine playcalling coordinators in football to the mix and I would say that heading forward we will be just fine with Foles as our field general. Immagine the depth we will have when the healthy linemen return. This O is not that far away. Build the D!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Pliny
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Pliny has disabled reputation

Quote:
you had me til this part. You do know Wilson is likely to break the rookie passing TD record this year? That kid has been amazing and by far the best rookie QB

Luck gets all the pub. but a closer look at his stats and it's not too impressive
I have seen him play in 2 games and was only moderately impressed. But, I looked at his stats for the year and you are right. They are very impressive.
Pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
QuitoPhan
Starter

QuitoPhan has disabled reputation

Luck, RG 3, Weedon, Tannehill and Wilson were all given first team reps in spring and summer. Foles working with less talent and less reps to this point. Considering the other options in 2013 Foles should go to camp as the starter. I would like to see the eagles get the highest pick possible and then trade back for an extra number one for 2014. Bumper crop of qbs coming out that year. So either Foles is the man and we use two picks on other needs. Or Foles sucks in 2013 and we have ammunition to move up in 2014 and grab a stud. Only a new coach with a long term contract can take that kind of long view.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

Hell Wilson may be rook of the year. Echo what others are saying. All of the others have had all season to be #1 QB and get playing time. Foles is in start 4 or something. Gotta give him some time. Get Luuuuuukkkkkeeee and pair him with Peters as the OTs and let's see what happens