Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #31
Eaglebreath
Pro Bowler

Eaglebreath has disabled reputation

I'm not going to make any judgement on the guy, because I don't see him in practice every day. I don't have any way to gauge his improvement, or lack thereof, since they signed him. I don't know what the Eagles have in mind. But, what I do know is this: I trust the coaching staff, and the scouts. If they feel the guy should remain on the team, I trust them. It really is that simple.

So, the simple answer to the question, how long do we screw around with Mailata, is as long as the coaches want to. How about that?

I will say that he should get a lot of reps in the preseason, so maybe after those games, we, as fans, might have a bit better of an idea as to whether or not he's learning to play.
Eaglebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #32
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

I agree with you for the most part EB. The purpose of the thread was really to ask "how long do we proceed with the experiment?". I'm really just saying that if the guy can't contribute this year why waste a spot? If he can fine. He's no different than any other guy on the roster. As far as how good he is nobody else wanted him and we got him at the end of the 7th round so I think that he'll last longer than 5 minutes if we cut him LOL.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #33
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Default Now here's a guy who wouldn't last 5 minutes.........

Tommy Lawler:

I mentioned Matt Pryor earlier. Hes having another good camp and the coaches are moving him around. Here is a good note from Ben Fennell.

2018 sixth-round pick Matt Pryor is getting reps with the second team at left tackle, and as I think about it, hes the only player being cross-trained right now at both guard and tackle. Not only that, but hes the only player being cross-trained as a right-side and left-side player (most of his reps this summer have come at right guard). That versatility is hard to find. Ben

Jeff Stoutland is a big fan of Pryors but this isnt just coach love. Everyone at practice raves about Pryor. Can he get the job done in the games? The Eagles have a lot of depth on the OL so Pryor is fighting for a job.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #34
FairOaks
Pro Bowler

FairOaks is on a distinguished road

He's on the roster this year for sure. It was always going to be a two-year project, most likely. With Dillard unexpectedly becoming available, Mailata is now being cross-trained at RT. In other words, all the muscle memory he'd built up at LT now needs to be reversed, for a guy who never played football before last year. Of course he was not going to look as good. It really would have been best for him to learn one position for now, but things happen. If he had regressed at LT, it would have been more of a concern, but they likely now would want him to be a backup swing tackle in 2020 when Vaitai more than likely gets an offer elsewhere too high for the Eagles to match.

He was poor in training camp last year too (also unsurprisingly), and got better in the games. We'll see.
FairOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #35
andrewaters 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

andrewaters will become famous soon enough

I think they have 9 guys that will clearly be on the roster and they might keep 10.

If they keep 10 it would be:

T - Peters, Johnson
G - Saumalo, Brooks
C - Kelce

Pryor, Dillard, Wiz - no brainers
Mailata - I think he has too much talent to cut
Big V - could be the odd man out but I think they keep 10

That means that:
Fabiano, Render, Herbig, Bates, and Opeta are competing for practice squad or to get signed by somebody else.

I do think they keep 10 OL... that seems like what they normally do.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #36
FairOaks
Pro Bowler

FairOaks is on a distinguished road

They are keeping Big V. If they keep nine, I think it would be Pryor (and an indication he did not improve from last year). Otherwise, keeping ten is a near lock barring injury, I think.
FairOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #37
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road

I'm hearing Wiz is not playing well at all, he's my surprise cut
Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #38
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

I agree on the wiz as surprise cut. He and Pryor have been the best bets to leave in my mind.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #39
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakIggle View Post
I agree on the wiz as surprise cut. He and Pryor have been the best bets to leave in my mind.
Watch Pryor tonight ND. He's not going anywhere
Old 08-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #40
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

I can't imagine they'll cut anyone. If they do anything, they'll make a trade. Douglas knows who Pryor is so I could see them making a deal. Wiz would be a great addition for a team that loses offensive line depth over the preseason.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote