Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
stocknowledge 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stocknowledge has disabled reputation

I wouldn't put too much faith in reports from the New York Daily News and the Post. Burress has all the makings of a Washington Redskin.

stocknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
BIGPHILLY
Hall of Famer

BIGPHILLY has disabled reputation

I hate this guy. Not for his crime - he's just an ass.

NFC East Titles:
Playoff Appearances:
NFC Title Games:
Super Bowl Titles:
BIGPHILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

I'd be very surprised to see him sign here. Then again, I never thought we'd sign Vick. With our WR corps, I just don't see it.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Leonard Tose
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Leonard Tose is on a distinguished road

I'd be inclined to dismiss this report but for the utter shock of Michael Vick and the fact that Burress terrorized the Eagles for years. Didn't the Eagles make a run at him in free agency before he signed with the Giants?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Jukin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Tose View Post
Didn't the Eagles make a run at him in free agency before he signed with the Giants?
If they did I hope it was behind the wheel of a GMC Suburban. Let's hope they have better aim this time for that weasle....

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
leifdawg
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

leifdawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to leifdawg

He could really help with the Eagles redzone problems assuming he has anything left in the tank.

But seriously are the Eagles the new Raiders?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

YourPalChrisMal is an unknown quantity at this point

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/05/...o-be-an-eagle/

Plaxico Burress soon to be an Eagle? Does it make sense?
May 23rd, 2011 by Jimmy Kempski.

Quote:
Gary Myers of the New York Post reported ďIíve heard that the Eagles will eventually be first in lineĒ to sign Plaxico Burress whenever free agency resumes. Itís unclear whether Myers is purely speculating on this, or whether he actually has concrete information to support the claim. Regardless, letís take a look at how it makes sense (and doesnít make sense) for the Eagles to take a run at Burress.

Why it makes sense:

- Plaxico Burress destroyed the Eagles as a New York Giant. The Giants havenít been beaten the Eagles since Burress has been gone, which might be more than just a coincidence. When a player has the kind of success that Burress had against the Eagles, itís only natural to be intrigued by the idea of bringing that player aboard. Here are Plaxís numbers against Philly:

>CLICK THE LINK FOR THE CHART<

- Burress turns 34 years of age in August. However, being an old WR and an old RB isnít quite the same. Here is a quick list of NFL wide receivers at or around Burressí age that were starters at the beginning of the 2010 season, and how they fared last season statistically (ages are as of Sept. 12, 2010, or opening day last season). The numbers arenít spectacular, but they do at least indicate that receivers can still be productive late in their NFL careers:

>CLICK THE LINK FOR THE CHART<

- Burress brings a skill set that is currently missing from the Eaglesí offense. Due to the dynamics that Michael Vick brings to the Eaglesí offense, they were improved in the red zone in 2010, but certainly have room to get better. Burress, at 6í5, would provide Vick with a potential matchup nightmare on the outside to go along with the mix of shrimpy speedy guys.

Why it doesnít make sense:

- As noted above, Plaxico Burress will be 34 years old in August. While there are receivers still contributing at Plaxís age, there will rightfully be concerns about how much he can contribute after being away from football for the past two seasons. By comparison, Michael Vick was only moderately effective (being generous) in his limited action his first year back from two years of jail. It took him a year to get his sea legs. I would have to imagine that the difficulty level of returning to the NFL after two years is a much more difficult task as a QB than it is as a WR, but itís still a valid concern. If it takes him a year to get back to something close to what he was before he shot himself, heíll be 35 by then. The Eagles historically stay far, far away from aging vets.

- The Eagles are loaded at WR. DeSean Jackson. Jeremy Maclin. Jason Avant. Thatís an excellent trio of receivers. Add in promising second year player Riley Cooper and you have an elite group of young, talented receivers. Typically, you want your receivers that donít start to play special teams. First, Plax will not be playing special teams. Second, will he embrace a much less significant role than the one he had in New York?
- Baggage. I donít put as much stock in Plaxicoís past as others do. Frankly, I find it truly absurd that the man went to jail for this long for shooting himself in the leg. Still, the Eagles tend to shy away from locker room distraction types. I donít know if thatís what Plaxico Burress is, but itís worth noting I suppose. The other side of that coin is that the Eagles could feel that with such a strong locker room in place, they can take a calculated risk on a guy with Plaxís level of talent.

Conclusion

Plaxico Burress was a great NFL wide receiver. Perhaps even top 10 in the league in his prime. If the Eagles think heís willing to take on a smaller role, I see much more upside than downside. Iíve always sided on doing the calculated aggressive move over being over-cautious. In the end, it always comes down to money. If the money is reasonable, I think itís an aggressive move worth pursuing.
YourPalChrisMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-...-on-chad-hall/

Tommy Lawlor on Burress...

Quote:
NY Daily News writer Gary Myers opened a can of worms over the weekend with some comments about the Eagles and WR Plaxico Burress. ĒIíve heard that the Eagles will eventually be first in line, but thereís also speculation the Steelers, Chargers, Falcons and Ravens could also be interested.Ē

Gary is a solid NFL writer, but Iím not so sure about his connections to the Eagles. Iím betting this ďinfoĒ came from Burress or someone in NY. I donít know if that person believes the info or is just trying to drum up interest in Plaxico. Regardless, Iím not buying it.

Burress would come here to be the #3 or #4 WR. If we use him as #3, then is he working the slot or are we moving Jeremy Maclin in there? Mac didnít come across as the most physical guy last year. Iím not thinking heíd aggressively embrace regularly working the slot. Would Burress?
Our backup WRs play on STs. Jason Avant had 4 solo tackles last year. Riley Cooper had 3. Would we bring in a guy like Burress to be a role player, knowing he wouldnít contribute on STs? Doesnít make sense.

It would be nice to have Plaxico as a Red Zone target, but Reid has never fully embraced the fade pass. He said Donovan wasnít real good at it, but I donít recall our other 37 QBs throwing it much either. Reid would rather run the sprint right so the QB can have no one open and throw the ball into the 8th row. Seriously, isnít that the worst RZ play in the NFL, at least as run by us?

I seriously doubt Plax is a target for the Eagles. Now, if this turns out to be true, it will be a sign that Reid is going all-in on the Eagles being a Super Bowl team in 2011. You donít add Plax unless you expect to compete for a title or if you need a WR. We no longer need WRs.

Final noteÖback in 2005 when Plax left the Steelers and was a free agent, there were consistent rumors that the Eagles were interested. I have never confirmed from any of my sources if that was true or not. It makes you wonder if this is all Plaxís agent just stirring up the market, just like he might have been doing back then.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...e-offense.html

Would Burress fit with the Eagles?

Quote:
I covered the Plaxico Burress nugget yesterday, but after checking out your comments and hearing some different opinions on the matter, I thought I'd expand on my thoughts a little bit today.

In case you missed it, Gary Myers of the New York Daily News wrote that he's heard the Eagles will be "first in line" as a suitor for Burress when he's released from prison next month.

Let's take this point-by-point to determine whether such a move would make sense.

And if you're wondering whether we've reached a new low in lockout-induced writing, well, yes, we have. Butthis beats helmet power rankings, right?

Anyway...

Argument: The Eagles need red-zone help

My take: The Eagles' defense was historically bad in the red zone last year, but the offense was not. The Birds were in the middle of the pack (15th), scoring touchdowns on 52.83 percent of their red-zone chances (not including Week 17 against the Cowboys). Michael Vick was a weapon in the red zone. He threw 13 touchdowns and one interception, but maybe more importantly, ran for nine touchdowns. In other words, he was responsible for 22 red-zone scores.

Jeremy Maclin was the Eagles' best red-zone receiver (see next point), but the Birds have other options on their roster too. In 2009, Brent Celek had 10 catches for 86 yards and six touchdowns in the red zone. And LeSean McCoy ranked second in the NFL with 14 red-zone catches in 2010, accounting for six red-zone scores total (rushing and receiving combined).

Argument: The Eagles need size in the red zone

My take: As I mentioned, the Eagles' best red-zone receiver last season was Maclin. He had 11 catches for 104 yards and seven touchdowns inside the opponents' 20-yard line. Only eight players in the NFL had more red-zone catches than Maclin, who is listed at 6 feet, 198 pounds.
Looking at the numbers league-wide, big receivers no longer dominate in the red zone. The top three wide receivers in terms of red-zone receptions last season were Danny Amendola (5-11), Wes Welker (5-9) and Lance Moore (5-9). That's not to say that height doesn't help. Guys like Marques Colston (6-4) were also effective, but it's not as big a factor as you might think.

Plus, don't forget about Riley Cooper. No one's arguing that he has the ceiling of Burress in his prime, but the Eagles spent a fifth-round pick on him and like Cooper's blend of size (6-3) and speed.

Argument: The situation resembles the Vick signing a couple years ago

My take: OK, this one has some merit. After the Eagles signed Vick, I stopped using phrases like There's no way... or I'd be shocked if... . In other words, I won't rule anything out with this franchise. They have become rather unpredictable in recent years.

When the Eagles signed Vick, they already had Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb at quarterback, so it's not as if they were filling a need. And they made sure to sign Vick to a two-year deal, knowing that he would likely need a year to re-adjust to the NFL. Burress is obviously not a quarterback, but he's never relied on his speed, and we see receivers in their 30s contributing to teams every year.

With that being said, I don't think the Eagles are going to make it their mission to sign every player who gets released from prison. The main factor is still if they think the player can help them win games.

Argument: Any time you can add a player like Burress, you have to explore the option

My take: That would probably be true if we were talking about the Burress that had 12 touchdown catches in 2007 or the Burress who piled up 1,214 yards in 2005. But we're talking about a Burress who was last on the field on Nov. 16, 2008. He'll turn 34 in August. If you figure he takes a year to get adjusted (maybe more considering the potential for limited practice time with the lockout), you're talking about a 35-year-old receiver by the time he's able to really contribute.

Also, while Burress certainly had a lot of success league-wide before going to jail, our view of him is probably a little inflated because of how much success he had against the Eagles. In eight games against the Birds (as a member of the Giants), Burress scored seven touchdowns and had four 100-yard games. The Eagles kept him out of the end zone just twice.

And finally...

I don't buy the idea that signing Burress would send a message to Jackson, who is entering the final year of his contract. Much of what the Eagles do offensively is based on Jackson's speed, and he's only 24 years old. The thought that Burress could somehow make Jackson expendable is just silly.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Per RotoWorld...

Quote:
Both Brandon Jacobs and David Diehl have said publicly that they don't believe free agent Plaxico Burress will re-sign with the Giants.

Jacobs and Diehl both made their comments to NFL Network. Jacobs' reasoning wasn't clear, but Diehl hinted that there are still anti-Burress dynamics in the Giants' locker room. The Giants don't have a need at receiver, either. Teams that make sense for Plax include the Jets, Bucs, Bears, and Redskins.

Tags
burress , plaxico