NFP Draft Stuff: Sleeper Pick DT Hicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFP Draft Stuff: Sleeper Pick DT Hicks

Think I read Lawlor's blog that said that his wingspan is about 84", and opined that he could wrap his arms around Reid's waist and touch his hands together. Raw prospect, needs to refine technique. And yes, Regina, Canada

Akiem Hicks, Regina defensive lineman. He was a virtual unknown before the game even though he began his college career at Louisiana State. Hicks, who is huge at 6-4, 324, and has exceptional power, looked a little like a man among boys. He also showed he is raw and needs work on keeping his pads down, using his hands and creating separation. But with his measurables, he could be a fourth round pick.

a project but at least he's not undersized. i'm interested.

Comment

More on Hicks from CBSSports:

Well-traveled defensive lineman Akiem Hicks was impressive for a second successive day. Hicks played high school and junior college football in Sacramento, Calif., area. But after being at the center of a LSU recruiting controversy in 2010, he wound up playing for the University of Regina in Canada the past two seasons.
      Hicks (6-5, 324 pounds) is one of the largest players on the field, but the most surprising aspect of his game is his impressive movement, showing nimble feet and fast hands. He definitely has some work to do before he is NFL-ready, but he has raw ability. Hicks isn't a natural bender and has very ordinary initial explosion out of his stance. But he does have an 84-inch wingspan and used those long limbs to dominate blockers and prove to pro teams he should be drafted in April.
      NFLDraftScout.com has considered Hicks as a seventh-round or free-agent projection, but if he continues to impress, he certainly could climb on some charts.

Comment

I think our 1st round pick will be a DT. Jenkins just completed only the 2nd healthy season of his career and Patterson has the brain thing. Too much risk at a critical position that the Eagles value. I think they resign Landri, get Dixon back and let Thornton compete for a job in camp, but another stud at DT would not be a surprise. I'm assuming they sign at least one veteran LB (London Fletcher, Brady James - someone like that) and add others in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
        Long Live Section 736

Comment

Originally posted by QuitoPhan View Post
          I think our 1st round pick will be a DT. Jenkins just completed only the 2nd healthy season of his career and Patterson has the brain thing. Too much risk at a critical position that the Eagles value. I think they resign Landri, get Dixon back and let Thornton compete for a job in camp, but another stud at DT would not be a surprise. I'm assuming they sign at least one veteran LB (London Fletcher, Brady James - someone like that) and add others in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
          As a two-down LB, James might be serviceable. But recall how he and Brooking looked after Sean Lee went out against the Eagles. This Hicks kid won't go in Rd one, but may be worth a look in the 5-7rd range from the sounds of it. That's if they're even interested in him.

Comment

LB is a much more glaring need than DT. Hope we keep things simple and just select Kuechly as everyone expects. We don't need Howie to get inventive and think he is discovering some hidden talent.
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
              LB is a much more glaring need than DT. Hope we keep things simple and just select Kuechly as everyone expects. We don't need Howie to get inventive and think he is discovering some hidden talent.
              Agreed. But this guy will not be selected in Rd 1. He's definitely a project. A flyer on him late in the draft may be acceptable.

Comment

DT is a need, but not like LB. I still think the wide 9 allows lineman to get to LB's more and are LB play may have been better with a different front configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
                  DT is a need, but not like LB. I still think the wide 9 allows lineman to get to LB's more and are LB play may have been better with a different front configuration.
                  True. But the Titans before and the Lions this year also used or use the wide nine, with more success. Better LBs and better LB play is why, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X