Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
j-bird 
2013 Contributor
Pro Bowler

j-bird has disabled reputation

Wow that didn't take long.Adios Dhani,take the bowtie& the guitar with you.I always thought the D had him playing out of position(should have been a WIL)but Takeo will RULE at that spot.The LB's have some nice competition in TC.My best guess for Opening Day: Gocong(SAM)Trot(MIKE)with Gaither in on passing downs,Spikes(WIL)every play LB.
Looks alot better than it's been fellas!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
stocknowledge 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stocknowledge has disabled reputation

One sack in three years...but he did play a mean air guitar...I mean he was friggin Eddie Van Halen with the air guitar...In fact I think he played linebacker like Eddie Van Halen.

stocknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
leifdawg
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

leifdawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to leifdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocknowledge
One sack in three years...but he did play a mean air guitar...I mean he was friggin Eddie Van Halen with the air guitar...In fact I think he played linebacker like Eddie Van Halen.
Not saying he's great, but how many sacks did Carlos Emmons ever have? JJ doesn't blitz from that position very often, the primary job of the SAM in JJ's scheme is to cover the TE.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
stocknowledge 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg
Quote:
Not saying he's great, but how many sacks did Carlos Emmons ever have? JJ doesn't blitz from that position very often, the primary job of the SAM in JJ's scheme is to cover the TE.
Emmons had 5 in four years with us. I agree that SAM isn't supposed to get a lot of sacks -- but the fact that he had only one sack in three years stood out for me.

Jones never did anything near or behind the LOS. It seemed that every tackle he made was 8-9 yards or more from the LOS.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
leifdawg
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Emmons had 4 sacks in 4 years.

Again Jones was far from great, but for a guy, who IMO was playing out of position, he wasn't the total piece of crap people seem to think he is. In fact his first year with the team, he did real well and I thought the Birds had god a steal.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #16
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

Add about $2MM more back to cap space.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
2nd and Arch
Starter

2nd and Arch has disabled reputation

It was time for him to go, and he did seem a bit overmatched the past year or so, but the way he became the #1 whipping boy on the team just seems a bit over the top.

I'm glad we're making room for the kids to step up, but I'm not going to kick his ass on the way out the door. He was a funny guy and played well his first year here. I'll never forget the telecast where the announcers played his ridiculous voicemail greeting. Funniest fucking thing I've ever heard from an NFL player.
2nd and Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #18
stocknowledge 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Again Jones was far from great, but for a guy, who IMO was playing out of position, he wasn't the total piece of crap people seem to think he is. In fact his first year with the team, he did real well and I thought the Birds had god a steal.
Don't know how you could think he was a steal. He never matched Emmons' production here.

Jones' stats never quite matched Emmons's -- either in sacks or in tackles. According to NFL.com, Emmons had 5 sacks in 4 years . In 60 games with the Eagles, Emmons had 300 total tackles (Avg 5.0 pg), 230 unassisted (3.83 pg). Jones had 227 total tackles in 48 games (4.72 pg), 160 unassisted (3.33 pg).

Granted Jones production was greater than Emmons the past three years, largely because Emmons had been injured - so in that respect we did get the better of the Emmons for Jones "trade." But, in reality, Jones was never quite the player that Emmons was for us.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #19
FRESH 
The lesser half...
Hall of Famer

FRESH is on a distinguished road

I had a good feeling about Dhani this morning when I read this in SPads piece....

"The Eagles have a lot of possibilities at linebacker, including a battle at SAM with Gocong and Bradley and, in theory, Dhani Jones and Tank Daniels. "

In theory........LOL!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #20
leifdawg
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Quote:

Don't know how you could think he was a steal. He never matched Emmons' production here.

Jones' stats never quite matched Emmons's -- either in sacks or in tackles. According to NFL.com, Emmons had 5 sacks in 4 years . In 60 games with the Eagles, Emmons had 300 total tackles (Avg 5.0 pg), 230 unassisted (3.83 pg). Jones had 227 total tackles in 48 games (4.72 pg), 160 unassisted (3.33 pg).

Granted Jones production was greater than Emmons the past three years, largely because Emmons had been injured - so in that respect we did get the better of the Emmons for Jones "trade." But, in reality, Jones was never quite the player that Emmons was for us.
I guess my main point is he doesn't deserve to be the fans whipping boy, no one is as bad as he is painted on these boards and to a lesser extent the media.