Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough
Default Are we rebuilding?

The Birds are amassing more money than they can spend, and more draft picks than they can use. Is Donnie Mac next? If indeed the Birds are "going for it" this year, draft day had better be very interesting.
Eagle60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
dawkins20
Pro Bowler

dawkins20 has disabled reputation

I do think we are still in that "at what age do we get rid of players" mode that can cost us a title. But they are not really rebuilding.

what worries me is that they have known Runyan, Tra, and Dawk were all getting old and their drafting of possible replacements over the years has been pretty off. Justice sucks. Considine sucked. I have my doubts on Demps. Herremans has ability but is a clown that misses meetings.

I am worried about safety. I really do not like Leonhard. Sanders is OK and would be an upgrade over Demps. I'm kind of hoping we sign him and draft a safety on day one of the draft.

I really want Tony Gonzales on this team. IMHO he would add some of the spark and fire we just lost in Dawk. But now I worry TG will want to stay in KC
dawkins20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

The defense has been rebuilding for the past couple years. I would argue that Free Safety was probably the last of the positions that they wanted to turn over (notice I didn't say need). They want to get somebody who can cover better at the free safety position. They'll continue to add to the defense but I think you are going to go through some years now with Cole/Bunkley/Patterson/Ambraimi/Bradley/GoCong/Jordan/Samuel/Brown/Mickell/Demps as the starters with others like Laws,Smith,Hanson and such playing big roles

Offensively we are two years behind the Defense. They have started with the offensive line who pretty much overnight has went from averaging 29.5 years old to 26 years old. The five starters will most likely be Heremens,Cole,Jackson,Andrews and Andrews with Jackson being the oldest at 28. The "backups" are all players under 28 years old
The next thing on offense will be the running back position we will go from 30 year old Buchalter to a rookie that will be between 20-22 years old. Receiver will probably get younger with Lewis most likely gone probably being replaced by a younger rookie reciever. Tight End, we will go from 29 yr old Lady Jane to 25 year old Celek plus most likely a draft pick there also. Quarterback is interesting, McNabb is here and I see him here for at least two more years, will they just allow McNabb to leave like Dawkins? Will they trade him next year? They have to resign Kolb at some point if they think he is the man.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
IMK
Pro Bowler

IMK

The Eagles have been rebuilding since the Superbowl. I thought that was obvious. Last year's playoff run marked the arrival of the next Eagles team, with McNabb the only holdover.
IMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
SCREAM
Starter

SCREAM has disabled reputation

There are like 5 guys from the Superbowl team left.
SCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMK View Post
The Eagles have been rebuilding since the Superbowl. I thought that was obvious. Last year's playoff run marked the arrival of the next Eagles team, with McNabb the only holdover.

Last year's playoff run was unexpected and somewhat fluky. It reminded me a lot of the Rams NFCCG.

The problem I see is that while that team was on the rise with EVERYONE getting better, this team has 2 of (or maybe the only 2 great players) on the decline: westbrook and McNabb.

I give Westy and Dmac about 2 years left before they're through.

So if that happens, we have a young defense going into their prime in the 2011 season while our star QB and RB are done. Bad timing.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
IMK
Pro Bowler

IMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfphillyfan View Post
Last year's playoff run was unexpected and somewhat fluky. It reminded me a lot of the Rams NFCCG.

The problem I see is that while that team was on the rise with EVERYONE getting better, this team has 2 of (or maybe the only 2 great players) on the decline: westbrook and McNabb.

I give Westy and Dmac about 2 years left before they're through.

So if that happens, we have a young defense going into their prime in the 2011 season while our star QB and RB are done. Bad timing.
I won't rule out McNabb playing well for a few more years. Look at guys like Warner and even Collins this year. You can't count out aging QBs. Westbrook likely only has a couple years left, but two years is plenty of time to find a suitable replacement. 2011 is a long way off, really. The Eagles will have three drafts between now and then. That's an eternity.

Do you really consider the 2001 playoff run fluky?

Last edited by IMK; 03-01-2009 at 11:28 AM..
IMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Leonard Tose
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Leonard Tose is on a distinguished road

Not rebuilding. McNabb is still at the helm, he gives them a shot at a championship every year. The young defense should continue to improve.

With some solid moves on offense, they're back in contention next year, IMO.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Ike
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Ike has disabled reputation

Yes.. yes we are, and I agree mostly with IMK... we have been doing that for a while. Dawk, Thomas, Runyan, LJ, Lito all gone. Most of our WR's are very young. Our soon to be all new OL is fairly young. Our DL is young with the exception of Howard. Our linebackers are young... really #36, and #5 are the only holdouts on the O. Doo doo is the only holdout on the D.

I'm sure the FO won't bring in anyone for #5 this year because they want him to go, and Kolb to step in. They just don't want to cut McNabb loose, and take the wrath of the fans... kinda like they did with Dawk. I know I know it's a business yada yada...
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Vote for Kalas 
2015 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Vote for Kalas has disabled reputation

As taz and IMK state, we've been rebuilding while still being on contention every year since 2004. It is a very difficult process, but a necessary one to maintain/extend the run and work within the FA, draft & cap system the NFL has set up.

The Eagles have done overall a very good job, ST has been almost completely turned over and the defense has been allocated alot of resources to bring it back to a high level.

The offense is in the next stage of rebuilding with LJ, Runyan, possibly Thomas and Buck moving on. I expect a good chunk of the resources going here the next few years and yes replacing McNabb/Westbrook and the OL will be the primary challenges. Kolb is here and other options could be brought in in conjunction with either a trade of McNabb or a bridge situation until his contract is up. Same with Westbrook, I expect several RB to be added over the next 2 years to support him, but also to eventually step in when his effectiveness slides too much.

This is the reality of the NFL and every team is dealing with it. Why is Denver adding 9 FA this year? Because they had massive holes and the solutions they had tried before now had failed. They have missed the playoffs 3 straight seasons--something the Eagles have never done under Reid--and changes are being made. If they had managed the rebuild better, Shanny might still be the coach and so much change might not have been needed.

-Andy Reid
Vote for Kalas is offline   Reply With Quote