How do you get up for next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get up for next season?

Regardless of whether the front office made the right move and handled things correctly, I now realize why I was so insane during the playoff run last year. I really wanted this team (Dawk, Reid, McNabb, Westbrook, Runyan, Tra, . . . ) to get their ring. But more than anything, I wanted to see Dawkins raise the Lombardi trophy for this team and for this city. There would be nothing else like it.

Now that is gone, and it really, really sucks.

The Eagles might very well win a Super Bowl some day but to me the sense of urgency is gone.

Maybe their will be another Eagle that will give his heart and soul for 13 years and represent everything that is good about the game. Westbrook? Stewart Bradley? Trent Cole? Sheldon Brown? Who will be the next Dawk?

The thought of Shawn Springs replacing Dawkins in our secondary makes me want to puke.

So, what will it take to get me excited for next year?
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Can't answer for you since you're still stuck on the emotional side of things, only you can decide that.

For me, I'm ready to go already, looking forward to the rest of F/A, the draft then TC.

Looking forward to seeing the Andrews Bros on the OL, looking to see how much better DJ can get, watching the young LB's learn more and more.

It's all perspective I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
      So, what will it take to get me excited for next year?
      A good product on the field. I know it doesn't make sense now but aside from Burrell - there weren't that many long term Phillies on the squad that won it last year. They were a group you pulled for especially as the year went on. Same thing goes for the Birds. Right now though - it's hard to envision success for the organization and not have Dawkins a part of it.

Comment

I can see the logic of not signing Dawkins. However, if they sign Springs, the logic goes out the window. It would be like trading Dawkins for Springs. WTF???? No one in their right mind would make that trade.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

It's simple: If you're at a chat site talking about Eagles football in early March, you'll be up when September arrives.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

stock nailed it

right now I believe this current team today is a last place team in the NFC East. The FACT is the rest of the division got better and we got worse. But so much can change. There is so much still to go. Maybe we nab an actual freakin FB? Maybe we finally draft a HB who can back up Westy and challenge him as he is seemingly wearing down? Maybe we can nab a vet WR to add to what is already a decent WR corps? Maybe we can draft a second TE that can have impact?

Safety sucks in this draft IMHO. That does worry me. Quite honestly that is a big reason I wanted Dawk signed (instead of the "emotional" angle of being a Dawk fan that some believe). We need to find a safety out there in a trade. I don't think Springs is the answer.

we have some work to do. But things do change and maybe this roster will get us pumped up before training camp arrives?

I'm always up for Eagles football. Right now it's the expectations that are way down than where it was at the end of last years run

Comment

On the positive side, we don't have to worry about Considine filling in at safety.
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                On the positive side, we don't have to worry about Considine filling in at safety.
                Amen! Plus, there's always the cheerleader threads

Comment

March is usually a down period for football involvement for me, but FA does liven things up and then the draft adds another spark...the Phils are starting up soon and I cannot wait to see how they do.

Like MD, for me its about perspective. The Eagles lost the 2004 SB and have been re-vamping the roster since trying to find the right pieces to get the ring while staying in the hunt every season. We got real close last season and had every chance to win it, but the team did not get it done.

I sense the Eagles realized this year the defense, while almost completely back to form, needed some more tweaks (Dawk gone, Considine gone) and that the offense (especially the OL, TE, FB, RB) needed some major renovations. LJ gone, Buck gone, Runyan probably gone and Thomas only if he would sign on their terms.

They signed Andrews and now have various options for re-configuring the OL. More will come via the draft or FA in this regard IMV. RB, TE and FB will probably be draft targets and they may even grab a WR too. I expect an offense-heavy draft overall besides DE, CB and Safeties who interest them.

I do not think McNabb will be extended this off-season. They invested in Kolb and I expect them to keep the leash tight on D-Mac while getting Kolb involved more over the time he has left under contract. I do not see how they let Kolb go without seeing what they have. McNabb is the final holdover if Thomas/Runyan leave, but also mans the most important position and has shown he can still play at a high level.

We have alot to look forward to IMO. See if the Eagles can pull this off is one part, but we also have alot of young talent that stepped forward last season and should continue to do so. We may never see the next Dawk, but that is what many of us said when other legends left or retired in this town. There will always be someone to fill those shoes eventually - think back to Dawk in his 1st couple of seasons - I doubt many of us expected he would become what he did.
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

We all thought the same thing when Eric Allen left, or when Byron Evans left, or Seth Joyner, or Reggie White... and we still came back.

This is our team... not Dawks... I love the man, but the Eagles are more our team than any player. People say fans shouldn't say we... oh yeah, the players shouldn't say we because they are only rented. We are permanent.
                    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                      I can see the logic of not signing Dawkins. However, if they sign Springs, the logic goes out the window. It would be like trading Dawkins for Springs. WTF???? No one in their right mind would make that trade.

exactly. i see their logic, but don't agree with it. based on what I've heard on the radio the past couple days, it seems more and more that this was quite literally a $$ decision.

The Eagles wanted Dawk back. They offered him a contract. I take that offer to mean that they felt it would be best for the defense to have Dawk a part of it. Do people disagree with that? So Dawk gets a better offer and now we're looking at Shawn Springs, an injured washed up corner to take place of Dawk. Brilliant! I suppose the one bright side is that the Eagles saved another 5 million in cash and cap space.

So the question is this .... are the Eagles really trying to put the best team on the field, or are they trying to put the most efficient (production/$) team on the field. Because the Eagles can blow efficiency right out of the water and still be 15MM under the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                        We all thought the same thing when Eric Allen left, or when Byron Evans left, or Seth Joyner, or Reggie White... and we still came back.
                        And we came back after losing the Super Bowl, and the NFC championship game the first time, and the second time, and the third time.......

You just keep coming back and hope for the best.

Hey, look at Red Sox fans, how many times did they have to say maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
                          exactly. i see their logic, but don't agree with it. based on what I've heard on the radio the past couple days, it seems more and more that this was quite literally a $$ decision.

The Eagles wanted Dawk back. They offered him a contract. I take that offer to mean that they felt it would be best for the defense to have Dawk a part of it. Do people disagree with that? So Dawk gets a better offer and now we're looking at Shawn Springs, an injured washed up corner to take place of Dawk. Brilliant! I suppose the one bright side is that the Eagles saved another 5 million in cash and cap space.

So the question is this .... are the Eagles really trying to put the best team on the field, or are they trying to put the most efficient (production/$) team on the field. Because the Eagles can blow efficiency right out of the water and still be 15MM under the cap.
                          There is nothing more than rabble rousing on radio so I rarely bother to waste my time on self-serving media idiots.

I don't think the Eagles wanted Dawk back at all. I don't blame them, I wanted him gone last year and his poor performance at FS verified that he was already toast. He excelled only when moved up into a quasi SS role which covered his lack of speed and emphasized his experience and hitting skills. Dawk got a better offer, yes, from a desperate team planning to use him at SS NOT at FS. He got the better offer because he could then stay a full time player and not a bench warming part-timer. Something similar may be happening with Springs who despite his earlier 3.8 speed now must drop back and play FS because he can no longer cover that well. Their is a real parralell betwee the regression with the 36 yr old Dawk moving to SS and the much younger Springs now being forced to move to FS. This is some pretty smart player analysis and management going on. Anyone who wanted Dawk to stay thereby wanted the Eagle to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post

This is our team... not Dawks... I love the man, but the Eagles are more our team than any player. People say fans shouldn't say we... oh yeah, the players shouldn't say we because they are only rented. We are permanent.

I agree with your logic that its the team, not the player. I'll be back rooting as hard as ever.

However, this is not the same as Eric Allen or Byron Evans or Joyner or Reggie. This is Brian Dawkins, one of the all-time greats of this organization, the beating heart and soul of the Philadelphia Eagles. It's more than all that.
                            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
                              There is nothing more than rabble rousing on radio so I rarely bother to waste my time on self-serving media idiots.

I don't think the Eagles wanted Dawk back at all. I don't blame them, I wanted him gone last year and his poor performance at FS verified that he was already toast. He excelled only when moved up into a quasi SS role which covered his lack of speed and emphasized his experience and hitting skills. Dawk got a better offer, yes, from a desperate team planning to use him at SS NOT at FS. He got the better offer because he could then stay a full time player and not a bench warming part-timer. Something similar may be happening with Springs who despite his earlier 3.8 speed now must drop back and play FS because he can no longer cover that well. Their is a real parralell betwee the regression with the 36 yr old Dawk moving to SS and the much younger Springs now being forced to move to FS. This is some pretty smart player analysis and management going on. Anyone who wanted Dawk to stay thereby wanted the Eagle to fail.
                              Shawn Springs: Birth Date - March 11, 1975
                              Brian Dawkings: Birth Date - October 13, 1973

Springs is 18 months younger.

I can tell you this with, I think, pretty high confidence that I wanted Dawk to stay and did not want the Eagles to fail. Seriously. In fact, I wanted him to stay so the Eagles would succeed.
                              Last edited by fly; 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X