Moises Alou to the Giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moises Alou to the Giants

I am a 16-year old student from Santa Cruz. I want to be a sportswriter after I get out of college (I still don't know where that is) and hopefully work for a bay area newspaper. I usually write sample articles from 49ers, Raiders, Giants, A's and Cal Bears games I watch. Below I put the article I wrote about the Giants signing Moises Alou a few days ago, its short, only 342 words. If it isn't to much trouble, I thought you might read it and comment. It would help to hear from you. Thank You.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Giants want to win now, not later

If anyone has watched the San Francisco Giants off-season transactions, you may have noticed that GM Brian Sabean is not exactly focusing on the young prospects, but rather the seasoned veteran. Like former Cubs power hitting right fielder Moises Alou. The slugger, with 39 homers and 106 RBI’s, is very good, but he is 38 years old. This may seem old for a player, who is going to get $13,500,000 after 2006, but his age is consistent with the rest of the team. Come 2005 every offensive starter will be over the age of 30. It’s not only Alou that Sabean invested in, he also picked up options on Marquis Grissom, JT Snow and signed Omar Vizquel for $12.5 million after three years, then he’ll be 42 and not even close to being the nine time Gold Glover that he once was. The Giants could have easily signed shortstop Christian Guzman for as many dollars per year. Guzman is also thirteen years younger and as productive offensively. Each of those players is over 37 years old. But why would the Giants invest so much money in players where most of them won’t be around in 2006 and 2007. Well, like everything else with the Giants, it’s about Barry Bonds. Bond’s age, along with the oncoming steroid allegation, will unable him to play more than two or three more seasons. And the Giants can’t win without him. Alou, who will be hitting directly after Bonds in the 5th spot, will finally give the Giants a power hitter to drive Bonds in. With a‘re-born’ JT Snow hitting in front of Bonds, it seems like a perfect combination for a very productive offense. But it’s just too bad that the front office didn’t keep Dustin Mohr around. Mohr is young and can be a great hitter when he actually gets to the plate. But Sabean didn’t have enough foresight to realize that in three years, when Bonds and Alou are gone, they are up a plate without a bat.

Thanks-

Dominic Lombardi

Welcome, Ilovebaseball. I think it is well written. I realize this was just a little cross-sample, but I feel you wandered off of your topic a little bit. I was grabbed by your headline and opening, but your closing and conclusion needs to stay on topic, and then really seal the deal with your closing statement.

Keep up the good work, I hope to read more from you here on Sportcolumn.
    I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

Working...
    X