X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UG-LEEEEEEEEEE

That's about all I can say about the last two games in Fla!!!!!!1

Re: UG-LEEEEEEEEEE

The overall picture is still a 3-2 road trip so far. They salvage today and move on to St. Louis in good shape.

Comment

Right now they're 4-2 on the current road swing and 7-3 in their last 10. And, Howard was 1-12 against the Marlins.

Depending on how they fair against the Cards, it could still be a nice road swing through some tough ball parks.

Comment

Oh I understand and I'm not down on them--- but those 1st two games in Fla were just plain ugly.... losing on a walk off GS is just the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
          Oh I understand and I'm not down on them--- but those 1st two games in Fla were just plain ugly.... losing on a walk off GS is just the pits.

It could have been worse!

It's probably happened more than once to the Phils, but I can still vividly remember Del Crandall hitting a GS with 2 out in the bottom of 9th to beat us by 1 run in old County Stadium in Milwaukee.

It was on a Sunday and my mother was insisting that I turn off the TV and come sit down with the family for dinner. I kept stalling because I wanted so badly to see my Phillies beat the Braves, who were the class of the NL at the time (Aaron, Mathews, Adcock, Bruton, Logan, Crandall, Spahn, Burdette et al).

Anyhow, Crandall hits a 3-2 pitch over the left field fence and I run up to my room sobbing my eyes out and never did eat dinner.

As far as Wednesday nights game, I think I'd rather prefer the GS than to have Gordon walk in the winning run. Sucks either way!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno

It's probably happened more than once to the Phils, but I can still vividly remember Del Crandall hitting a GS with 2 out in the bottom of 9th to beat us by 1 run in old County Stadium in Milwaukee.

It was on a Sunday and my mother was insisting that I turn off the TV and come sit down with the family for dinner. I kept stalling because I wanted so badly to see my Phillies beat the Braves, who were the class of the NL at the time (Aaron, Mathews, Adcock, Bruton, Logan, Crandall, Spahn, Burdette et al).

Anyhow, Crandall hits a 3-2 pitch over the left field fence and I run up to my room sobbing my eyes out and never did eat dinner.

As far as Wednesday nights game, I think I'd rather prefer the GS than to have Gordon walk in the winning run. Sucks either way!!
            Oh I know it COULD be worse --- all I gotta say is 3 words to ya...................................

Nineteen Sixty Four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oh I know it COULD be worse --- all I gotta say is 3 words to ya...................................

Nineteen Sixty Four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three words that will live in infamy until Philadelphia sinks into the Atlantic Ocean. I was going to Temple at the time and Connie Mack was only a short ride or very manageable walk away. Sat in the cheap seats about every night that September when they were home.

I remember 4 or 5 of us going to one of our favorite joints after a loss to Milwaukee that left the Phils hanging on with their fingertips. (I think they fell out of first the next night for good... even though we stayed away from the game so as not to jinx them.) As usual, we'd been drinking steadily the entire game and were not feeling real congenial.

Other than occasional slurs regarding Mauch's intelligence or suspect parentage, the bar was like a tomb. Some older guy in the bar pipes up to no one in particular, "Bunning's going tomrrow...we'll be alright!" One of my buds (very drunk) responds with something like, "Shut the fuck up will you!...Bunning and Short have both shot their loads. They're fucking done! It's over!"

Now. normally an exchange like that in an Irish bar would have resulted in an a brawl. We were outnumbered and probably
              very over matched. The guy who'd made the Bunning comment says to my bud, "What the fuck did you say to me!" I'm thinking, "Oh fuck! Here we go!"
              One of the Bunning guy's buds grabs his arm and says, "Let it go...he's right...it's fucking over."

We ended up all drinking together and closed the bar at 2 AM.

The story is retold whenever we get together!

Comment

You guys really need to learn how to repress those memories.
                Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                  Impossible! They're seared into our brains! Like Tugger striking out Willie Wilson for the final out in the 1980 World Series.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                    Impossible! They're seared into our brains! Like Tugger striking out Willie Wilson for the final out in the 1980 World Series.
                    Zackly!

Comment

Or Mitch Williams for the next generation. For many of us he was just de javu all over again.
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Working...
                      X