Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phils New TV Deal

Looks like Rube might have a few extra dollars to spend

Photo of the Day: This is how Roy Halladay dresses...
    The Phillies ink a huge new TV deal

Craig Calcaterra
    Jan 3, 2014, 8:29 AM EST

32 Comments

UPDATE: Multiple outlets are reporting that the Phillies TV deal is $2.5 billion over 20 years. Or $100 million a year. That’s a nice bit of scratch.
    8:29 AM: The Phillies may not know exactly how to rebuild for the future, but they won’t be lacking for money to do it. The Phillies and Comcast/NBC Universal have agreed to a massive new broadcast deal. Here’s the statement from Comcast SportsNet (Comcast owns NBC Universal and, by extension, this blog):
    “We’re pleased to confirm that NBCUniversal and Comcast SportsNet have signed a new long-term deal with the Philadelphia Phillies that will expand Comcast SportsNet’s role as the Phillies’ primary TV partner. Although the terms of the comprehensive deal are confidential, details surrounding the 2014 schedule of games will be provided in the coming months.”
    Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the deal is for at least 20 years. Given the price other teams’ TV rights have gone for, it’s not a stretch to guess that the deal would be in the billions.
    The current TV deal was set to expire following the 2015 season.

Skip to Comments (32)
    Email
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

But no more Wheels!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014...tml?ref=sports

Or Sarge!

I'm going to miss Sarge talking about how a hitter can "jerk off the ball." http://www.crossingbroad.com/2011/04...made-ever.html

And Wheels, with his endless "middle in" references was annoying, but he's the last link to Whitey and Harry and basically my youth when it comes to the Phils. So I am sad to see him go.
    Last edited by Leonard Tose; 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Surprised but not shocked.

Some new voices won't hurt.

Frankly I never minded Wheels as much as many seemed to.

Comment

Chris Coste......Maybe a ND boy doing the broadcasts. Didn't know he stayed around there after leaving the Phils
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
          Chris Coste......Maybe a ND boy doing the broadcasts. Didn't know he stayed around there after leaving the Phils
          he was doing some post game/ dugout/locker room stuff at 1 point. Don't know if I like the idea of Botalico for a full game .
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Hallelujah!!! Wheeler is finally gone!
            Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

I agree Zep. Wheeler detracts from my enjoyment of the games. I'm glad to see him go. I know he harks back to our youth but also remember he tried to throw both Richie Ashburn and Harry Kalas under the bus at different times during his tenure. Sorry to see Sarge go as he was endearing with all his goofiness but I'll sacrifice Sarge to be rid of Wheeler.

Comment

I remember times when you could sense the tension between Harry , Richie and Wheeler. I personally dislike everything from his voice to his goofy hair(wig ?). Sarge was actually starting to grow on me.

Comment

If Mitch Williams can do as good a job as a game analyst as he does as a studio analyst with the MLB Network (he's their best guy IMO, edging out Harold Reynolds), then he's a guy I'd like to see the Phillies pursue as an announcer.

I don't know what Joe Kerrigan is doing these days, but he's another guy who was very good as a studio analyst and might be good as an in-game announcer.

Comment

I think Mitch would be great for it. Don't know if he wants to leave the cushy studio job for the grind of the MLB play by play season.

Comment

Just read that Mickey Morandini is a candidate

Comment

Seems like he is one of the significant targets. Lidge and Kruk have both said they were approached and declined. Mitch Williams is on the list also with Ricky Bo and Doug Glanville.

Comment

Jamie Moyer could be next Phillies TV color analyst

Andrew Kulp
                          Jan 23, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

14 Comments
                          I still can’t get used to the fact that Wheels and Sarge are no longer part of Philadelphia Phillies broadcasts, but maybe that’s because their positions have yet to be filled. Rumors and speculation have pinpointed several potential candidates to take over, but no replacement yet.
                          Add another name to the pile. According to Phils legend Matt Stairs, Jamie Moyer is not merely in the running for the job—he’s actually interviewing. Stairs was on 94WIP on Thursday morning to promote his upcoming appearance at Wing Bowl when he let the beans spill on Moyer possibly applying for the vacancy.
                          One of the key words Stairs used is he “heard” Moyer is interviewing, so take that for whatever it’s worth. Where did he hear that? From whom?
                          Through some quality Twitter reporting though, CBS did discover Moyer was in Philadelphia this week. Wonder what could’ve brought him to town.
                          If true, Moyer would seemingly make a great color analyst. Who else is available and can impart 25 years of big league experience to an audience? (Hint: answer is no one.)
                          More as we hear it on this development.
                          UPDATE: Moyer definitely interviewed. From Todd Zolecki:
                          Multiple sources said the top candidates are: Moyer, who has worked as an analyst with ESPN; Mitch Williams, who works at MLB Network and has partnered in the booth with McCarthy at FOX; Mickey Morandini, who is a coach with Triple-A Lehigh Valley and has performed postgame analysis with the Cubs; and Kevin Stocker, who receives glowing reviews for his work with the Pac-12 and CBS Sports networks. Some are giving Moyer and Williams an edge.

Comment

Working...
                          X