Observations from Eagles-Falcons came

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Eagles-Falcons came

Tough, Tough, and I will say it tough loss. Body bag game in reverse, 10 injuries in the game for the Eagles, 5 for the Falcons. You have to wonder about the Field in Atlanta. I know its a new stadium but.... almost all the injuries were leg injuries (save Clement who fell on turf).

Things to Ponder: When does a runner (QB) actually give himself up? I don't buy the ruling or Riveron's explanation on the 2pt conversation. If he indeed gave himself up, then why was that not ruled roughing the QB as he was hit after he gave himself up. When is a block in the back a block in the back? (see the Game winning TD). What is it with the early whistles by the officals (seen this in several games including sack on Wentz yesterday). Why did it take 5 minutes to get Wentz into the concussion protocol? That cost him the last series before the half. I know McCown looked good but... That is a league issue that must be looked at.

Observations

1. Seumolo was horrible last night and is my number one issue for the lose. He gave up 8 pressures (by my count, PFF has him at 6),2 sacks and was horrible in the run game. In fact he was a big reason why they couldn't establish a run game. Grady Jarett is a good player no doubt but he was absolutely dominant against Seumolo.

2. Howie and Dougs decision to only have 2 tight ends was my second issue for the loss. This team loves to play 12 personnel and could not do it last night. That completely changed the game plan right before kickoff.

3. Is Ronald Darby really healthy?

4. Jason Peters looked slow last night, now that may be because he was over compensating for Seumolo but he certainly didn't look good last night.

5. I am filing a Missing Person report for Fletcher Cox. Anybody seen him lately?

6. Wentz was OK yesterday, the first half didn't look good but I am trying to figure out was that completely Wentz, Was is Doug trying to figure what he could and could not call based on the injuries. Were the receivers and Wentz on the same page. I think its a combo of all of it. However, you can't take away Wentz heart, determination and ability to will his team. I don't blame him for the loss. He made the plays at the end that put the team in the position to win.

7. I thought Mack Hollins played the best game of his career. Very encouraging.

8. I rip Jim Schwartz all the time for not being aggressive. I have to say he was aggressive last night and I loved it. Sure they gave up the Big TD at the end but I can't fault him, they stop them there the game is over. Good play design by Atlanta, A block in the back that sprung Julio that was not called and its off the races. I just hope Schwartz stays this way the rest of the year. If he does this team despite what the outcomes are with the injuries will go.

9. Nice to see the defense causing turnovers. Now the plus minus was the same because of Clements fumble but at the end of the day we are going to win some games if that defense can cause turnovers.

10. I wonder if Jordan Mathews is on a plane to Philly as we speak?
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I take your point but I can't agree about the QB giving himself up. QBs can't have it both ways. What I could agree on, and I would have to see it again, is whether he was hit after he gave himself up. I would also say Wentz was frustrated, as was I, when he broke free and completed the pass but the ref had rules him in the grasp. Basically because the defender had him by the jersey.
    I also have to give it to Atl for the TD call and not blame a block in the back. If I put my green glasses on I can see it but I think the majority of the NFL would put that as a good no call.
    I also have to say that the pressure was good. But it showed me some of the reason he hesitates to bring pressure. Our CBs are NFL caliber but none, and that includes the highly praised Darby, are top notch NFL talent. Douglas made a play or two. Maddox a play or two. Darby a play or two. None played to the level of the Atl secondary. Having said that I hope he continues to bring pressure.
    Let's hope Jernigan is okay. I think teams will continue to help their OL in protection in order to give the QBs an extra second or two because they know they can beat our secondary if they can keep the DL out of the backfield.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I only catch a few games a year. Last night may be the 1 game every two years I get to watch with my dad. Atlanta exposed every area we are supposed to have depth. Yes, the injuries were huge, but the OL look really bad on pass protection and could not open holes. The DL could not get pressure without help. How we had a shot to win the game is a credit to Schwartz. It will be an interesting week, as I think Clement is done for some time, we will be very short on the DL if Jernigan is serious. We have three lower leg injuries to TE/WR and a starting left guard that just wants to be held. Ugly ugly game on both sides of the ball.

Comment

NoDakIggle, I asked the question on the block in the back not to say it should or should not have been called. I am wondering why it is called in some situations and why in others its not. Its clear Maddox was blocked in the back, very clear, not disputing that. It was the deciding play of the game after all so I just have to wonder. The big thing is, I am not sure Maddox makes the play even if he is blocked cleanly.

The QB giving himself up is still an interesting one, because is he a QB or is he a RB? He never attempted to pass he took the snapped tucked it and ran. So lets say you run the Wild Cat is that RB a QB or a RB. In other words I am confused by the rule and how the rule was interrupted there. It really didn't make much sense to me. This one here is a huge one and one that really effected the outcome of the game. 24-22 at least gives them a shot to win it by a field goal at the end (no guarantees Elliot hits it but....)

Comment

Morning guys! My take:
          1. Aggie. You have to make that catch. Sorry no excuse for that one.
          2. Wentz. Up and down but man that guy showed why he is one of the best.
          3. Schwartz. Thanks for being aggressive. This game is a blow out of you don't get the defense attacking. Run defense even with injuries was very good. Pass rush is not there. Not sure why.
          4. DBs. I am not sure what to say. Darby is being toasted on a regular. I think they need Mills which is really scary. Sendejo is just a guy right now. Try Cyprien.
          OL. Boy that was a game to burn the film. Too many holding penalties. The pressure ATL was getting was with front four. No one picks up run blitzes. Just bad all around. Ike was the WORST! Vitai going for a record for holds in a season from a guy playing one series each game.
          Doug. I am not sure why we don't use the 3 headed monster in Howard Sanders and Sproles running the ball. So many plays left out there on the field for run game.
          5. Officiating. Not blaming the guys on the field. I think they called an even game. Thought Atlanta may have gotten away with a few cheap shots. The mark on the last Ertz play was iffy but cant really say he was at the line to gain. But the New York team has to be fired which leads me to:
          6. The two point conversion call! This one sticks with me. Similar to the crazy clear recovery last year. The QB runs and dives for the goal line. At what point is he giving himself up? and if so why is a guy allowed to come hit him? he is either a RB and fair game or he is a QB and hands off. What a garbage ruling by good ol AL!
          Overall good fight by team facing a lot of adversity(desperate team at home, loss both starting wide outs plus DT). Guys didn't quit and almost got it done. That turf might have played a role in some of the injuries to offensive guys.

Comment

my only takes are.

Julio Jones is a FULL GROWN MAN.

So is Grady Jarrett.

That said, we should have won the game.

We didn't really start slow though. Hard to score when your 2 best WRs are sitting after the first series. And defensively we played OK. They only had the 1 big run but the lack of pressure from the front 4 is disturbing.

Bradham looked average last night.

Sanders had better figure out how to run through some contact or he is going to not be good enough. Howard needs to play more. I think I would have lined up with Big V and tried to run some power at them but Doug is gonna Doug.

One last thing... going for it on 4th and goal from the 4 is the ballsiest thing I have maybe ever seen.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              my only takes are.

Sanders had better figure out how to run through some contact or he is going to not be good enough. Howard needs to play more. I think I would have lined up with Big V and tried to run some power at them but Doug is gonna Doug.

Big V played several snaps at Tight End and had multiple penalties.

Both Sanders and Howard had issues trying to run last night because Seumolo was that bad. I never seen a 325lb man thrown around like he was. Just terrible. I am sure Howard and Sanders missed a hole here and there but they couldn't run last night because the oline couldn't open holes.

Comment

Taz I agree mostly but disagree slightly. Sanders seems to go down pretty easy.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                  Taz I agree mostly but disagree slightly. Sanders seems to go down pretty easy.
                  He does seem to go down easy compared to Howard. However, Howard is one of the better after contact guys in football. Either way Sanders still needs to build muscle as most rookies do. Hard to remember he was only in game 2 as a pro. I think he is going to be just fine. Plus both and Howard averaged 2.3 ypc carry yesterday so it didn't matter which back ran it, neither had any room to run.

Comment

The more I think about it... much more disappointed in this O-Line so far this year.

Think that they have sucked for 6 of the 8 quarters played.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      The more I think about it... much more disappointed in this O-Line so far this year.

Think that they have sucked for 6 of the 8 quarters played.
                      THIS

Seomalo stinks out loud. Normally, he's a guy out there, at best. I don't know what the Eagles see in him. There was one play where Wentz got crunched, and this dude is just standing around like he's waiting in line at a food truck. Hey Isaac, aren't you supposed to be blocking somebody? Anybody? He gets beat in pass pro constantly, and he gets no push in the run game. I swear, they should move JP to LG and put Dillard in there at LT. Get Seomalo's ass off the field before he gets the franchise QB killed.

Wentz took a freaking pounding last night. I know not having Goedert prevented them from using a lot of 2 TE, but you can't have that shit. ATL consistently beat them up front.

That said, it was a tough draw to begin with to have to go into Atlanta after the Falcons got smoked on the road last week, facing an 0-2 start. Then, they lost DJax and Alshon. I thought they showed a lot of heart. Sucked to lose at the end like that, but they fought hard.

Going forward, next man up. But, they have got to get better play out of the offensive line. Period.

Comment

Working...
                      X