Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else sick of all this New Orleans love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are still commentators and experts out there that really are experts. I learn a lot about football listening to some of them. The problem is that they are few and far between. And nobody seems to want to listen to them so they get no airtime.

I could listen to Jaws break down film all day long. But unfortunately, i get about 30 seconds of Jaws but somehow get 5 minutes of Shannon Sharpe butchering the english language. Or Chris Berman being a douche.

That's the problem with the NFL coverage. I wish they'd have a expert half hour or hour on the NFL network (i've given up on ESPN) that really educates the fans and digs down into the stats and video breakdown, etc.

Comment

This is where the MLB Network kicks ass IMO.I don't mind listening to any of them
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyj View Post
        For the same reason I tune out oscar winners in the movie business, I try to stay out of the discussion of who's the best this or that in sports. Why not just put a blanket over the best and list the group. Why the fascination with picking the best, when it's really too subjective and spans too many years. Heck YA Title and John Brodie may be right up there with Young and Montana, as great SF QB's, just didn't play on particularly good teams. And totally ridiculous are those who were puffing Manning as the best of all time, and those who trash him after one game where his team got outcoached.
        Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
        Point well taken!

I've felt the same way since I was a kid listening to the vapid and often agenda driven arguments comparing the likes of Mantle, Mays and Snyder, "Who was better...Who's the best?."

My response was then as it is now to questions about 'The Best Quarterback'..."Who gives a flying fuck!". Why can't we just admire the performance of superb athletes without the obsessive need to rank them. Usually, the great ones all bring something a little different to the field of play. Something that makes them special, if not unique. Something that can be appreciated without needing to down rate another gifted QB.

And, to me, there is a real down side in trying to rank 'The Best QBs'. The exercise requires a consideration of the excellent skills of the very best and in so doing, painfully brings into focus the flaws (accuracy, pocket presence, clock management, and composure under intense pressure) of our own 'Very Good but Never to be Confused with Great' QB.
        Because this is a discussion board and what the hell else are we going to talk about? The next meaningful Eagles news is is at least a month away, so we need some filler to talk about until then.
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

We need lots of filler, leif.

I love talking about stuff like this.

Comment

IMO, the idea that Joe Montana wasn't better than Peyton Manning is laughable. Manning has racked up some big stats, much like Brett Favre or Dan Marino, but winning one Super Bowl (and not playing particularly great in that game, despite being named MVP) does not make a quarterback the greatest of all-time. If Manning was the greatest of all-time, then why haven't the Colts done better than 9-9 in the playoffs with Manning at QB? Why have they only appeared in 3 AFC Championship Games? For whatever it is worth, Montana's teams went 16-7 in the playoffs with him starting at QB (14-5 with the 49ers, 2-2 with the Chiefs) and appeared in 7 conference title games (1981, 1983, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993).

As for Joe Montana vs Steve Young, I guess the fact Young's 49ers teams went 1-4 in NFC Championship games and almost always lost to Dallas and Green Bay in the playoffs carries no weight. Now don't get me wrong, Steve Young was a great quarterback and deserves to be discussed as such. However, most of the factors that worked in Joe Montana's favor when he played also worked in Steve Young's favor, if not moreso, and Montana has 4 Super Bowl rings while Young has 1 ring (well, actually he has 3 rings, but 2 of them came when he was Montana's backup). Steve Young also didn't have to help elevate a 2-14 team early in his career. (The 49ers went 2-14 and 6-10 in Montana's first two seasons; I believe he only played part of the 1980 season, the 6-10 year, and not at all in 1979, the 2-14 year.)

The biggest argument against Joe Montana (and for Peyton Manning) as the greatest QB post-1980 as I see it is that he was injury-prone. He missed about half of the 1986 season with injuries, missed all of the 1991 and most of the 1992 seasons with injuries, and was knocked out of two playoff games against the Giants (1986 and 1990). On the other hand, he was the starting QB for 4 Super Bowl champions and won 3 Super Bowl MVPs (a combination no other QB in NFL history can claim). Even in the last 2 years of his career with the Chiefs, he led them to the AFC Championship Game (1993), the Chiefs' only appearance in the NFL final four since 1969.

Comment

Chip - people tend to dismiss how hard it is to be clutch in the SB. Of course there are obvious exceptions of QBs that only had to manage a game and not blow it (Dilfer, Roethlisberger vs Seattle) but being able to lead your team (no matter how talented they are) is a mark of greatness.

That's why I've been defending Montana this whole week. Of course he was better than Young. He is currently the greatest QB of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                Because this is a discussion board and what the hell else are we going to talk about? The next meaningful Eagles news is is at least a month away, so we need some filler to talk about until then.
                LD,

I can't speak for sonnyj, but perhaps I should have been more clear about the people whose 'rankings' I'm totally disinterested in...that would be the clowns who get paid to talk/write for a living. With a few exceptions, I don't trust their observations, their integrity or their agendas. Most of all, I find MOST of them pretty boring.

As far as forum members comparing/ranking elite athletes on discussion boards, I have no problem with that idea at all, primarily because there is no hidden/selfish agenda or financial gain involved in favoring one guy over another. Beyond that, with some of the inane crap I've posted here and elsewhere, I'm hardly in a position to criticize someone else for choosing to post on any given topic, whether it interested me or not.

Comment

btw - to add to the sickening stories out of NO, Shockey got the game winning TD and the media is talking about his "redemption."

Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                    btw - to add to the sickening stories out of NO, Shockey got the game winning TD and the media is talking about his "redemption."

Ugh.
                    Yeah right, for one thing, that honor goes to Tracy Porter for that pick 6 that put the game out of reach. But I guess that storyline's not interesting enough?
                    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

technically Shockey's TD was the GW right?

Porter just sealed it.

Comment

technically Shockey's TD was the GW right?

Porter just sealed it.
                        Unfortunately
                        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

The worst part of NO winning is now we'll be hearing Who Dat everywhere. fucking losers.
                          Brees refered to the fans as Who Dat Nation. How f#@king gay is that ?
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                          X