Witherspoon signs with Titans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fly View Post
    It's got to be a $ thing. Realistically, what are the odds we find a LB (taking $ out of it) that will perform better than Spoon would have this year?

> Gaither?
    > Rookie LB draft pick?
    > Someone else?

I'm sure they will find someone who makes less though.

Please do not accuse me of accusing the Eagles of being cheap. All I'm saying is that I think the Eagles don't think Spoon is worth it. That's not to say they think they'll find someone who is better than him, but that maybe they think they can find someone who is actually worth their $. We shouldn't be surprised as we saw the same thing with Dawk last year.
    They had extended Dawk until he was 35 yrs old....there is no other starting S that old in the NFL. They paid him very fairly all along the way. They made an fair offer again to keep him, but he got a better deal from Denver and left.

Much different than the 'Spoon situation...he was traded for in a crisis situation due to our injury issues to Bradley, Gaither and Jordan. He played mostly at WIL and MLB and, besides his first game when he made some great plays, he performed only ok in our scheme. The Eagles obviously felt he was not good enough to start and paying a backup 5M was not a good investment.

Many complain the Eagles do not move along players who do not perform fast enough, but when they do some complain they should have kept him. All they can do is evaluate and make the best moves they can--we'll see what happens from there. IMV he is replaceable and we may even have the replacement on the roster already thus I am not very worried. I'm also not worried because it is only March 10th and some of the best moves the Eagles have made happened much later in the off-season.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I liked what he gave early on after being acquired. But he doesn't offer anything more than depth for this year. I like the possibility of Fokou and Jordan improving (Fokou moreso) and getting a HIGH draft pick. A top flight rookie LB can come in and have an impact.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

VFK I agree with much of what you say ... but the fact of the matter is that they could have kept him till TC and not cost them a dime. Just to see if everybody was healthy and that someone could beat him out.....I don't understand the downside to doing that?

Unless there is/was some sort of personality issue or locker room issue that we are not aware of.

Comment

What MD said.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
            I couldn't agree more MD... makes no sense at all. Now, it looks like we are stuck with TDK unless a miracle happens. Ugggg.
            What does one have to do with the other?

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            VFK I agree with much of what you say ... but the fact of the matter is that they could have kept him till TC and not cost them a dime. Just to see if everybody was healthy and that someone could beat him out.....I don't understand the downside to doing that?

Unless there is/was some sort of personality issue or locker room issue that we are not aware of.
            My guess is that the Eagles asked him to take a pay cut, Witherspoon said screw you, and the Eagles cut him.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Maybe LD but they still had full control at no cost till the games started.

Comment

Andy Reid doesn't take guff.
                Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

They could have done that, I agree, but obviously they felt he was not up to snuff and wanted to make room so they could bring in other options or give their young guys the chance to keep improving....I do not see any downside to that either
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Cept--- TC has almost unlimited # of spots... keeping a seasoned Vet at a place of weakness "just in case" doesn't equate to losing a spot, IMHO.

Maybe it was a personality thing or he threatened to make trouble thing, but I still don't understand it from a footballl view.

Comment

Per RotoWorld...

Fox Sports' Adam Caplan thinks Will Witherspoon could get a chance to be the Titans' starting middle linebacker this season if free agent Stephen Tulloch departs.

Caplan believes fourth-round pick Colin McCarthy would likely get the first crack at the job should Tulloch leave, however. A middle linebacker earlier in his career, Witherspoon started on the outside for the Titans in 2010.

Comment

Tulloch really intrigues me. I've only watched him in 2 or 3 games but remember him looking like a probowler. I know he's undersized but if he does make it to FA I'd be really interested if the Eagles took a look at him. I wonder if he can play weak side? I'm sure Washburn can give an adequate scouting report. I'd love it if Babin migrated here and Washburn thought Tulloch would be a good get as well.
                        Last edited by eagle eye; 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X