Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Terry Francona any better than Grady Little?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Terry Francona any better than Grady Little?

So far, I think Francona has done well with setting the lineup so that it'll match what the Sox need that day. However, Grady wasn't too bad at that either. As far as the pitching goes, I think Francona has handled the bullpen worse. Granted, the Williamson injury situation hasn't helped, but he continually misuses the pen. Grady only did this infrequently throughout 2003 and then of course when it mattered most. Francona shows all signs of making the same mistake. One of the reasons why the Yankees are always ahead of the Red Sox is that Torre doesn't mess around in the 7th and 8th, he warms up Quantrill and/or Gordon and takes out his starter at the first sign of weakness (and Rivera is automatic in the 9th). If Francona did the same with Williamson/Timlin/Embree, the Sox would have at least 4 or 5 more wins this season.
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%
    the same
    0.00%
    I don't care, the world revolves around Philly
    0.00%

I like your 4th choice. I feel the same frustration any time I post about my Cards and nobody replies.

I really think that Grady Little got the shaft for one making a bad decision at the worst possible time. BoSox nation had to make him pay for it with his job. Can you imagine what this season would have been like in Boston if he was still managing?

I like what you said about Joe Torre, even though I hate the Spankees. La Russa is the same way managing his pitchers and bullpen, he will win you games just by knowing his guys and knowing when to turn it over. I think the BoSox are in desperate need of that type of manager.
    I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

Grady was just never right for the job anyway, but I don't think Francona is either. You're exactly right, a LaRussa-type manager is exactly what the Sox need. Everyone else gets caught up in the pressure and excitement of ending the curse and they let it affect their decisions. We need a cold, calculating, ice-water-in-the-veins guy. Not someone who fidgets around in the dugout and bases his decisions on "hunches". If only Bill Belichick had a baseball-obsessed twin, the Sox also would have won two out of the last three championships.

Comment

I don't think Francona is much better, but he has really done a great job with getting the right lineups in and figuring out where to put each player. Grady would have a heart attack if he had to deal with it. I don't dislike Grady, but I don't think he would have done as good a job with the lineup as Francona did. The one probablem is that Francona MAY be shuffling the lineup a little too much.

Comment

Every team could use a LaRussa-like manager.

Comment

Someone is doing a great job as of late. not sure if it's Francona, but someone has the Sox back up on their feet!

Comment

Working...
            X