X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #5 Sez-- "this is a SB team"

You buyin or sellin?
    /////////////////////////

"It's August 14, but Donovan McNabb has seen enough.

He's willing to be intrepid and make an eyebrow-raising statement, the type of comment that causes listening reporters to race to their notebooks.

"This is a Super Bowl team," McNabb said.

He said it in a simple, matter-of-fact manner as if there's no possible objection.

Listen back. Watch the video. He said it and he meant it. "

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeN ... p?id=53360

I'm sellin--- not because it isn't possible for these guys to be a SB team-- IMO, it's just impossible for #5 to know that yet, this early.

I like the bravado (What is he supposed to say?), but don't put much stock(nowledge) into it.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Buying. Everything has to fall in place for any team to win the super bowl (i.e. Injuries). So, you can never guarantee a SB.

However, Donovan plays against the defense every day. And, he has seen enough offenses here in Philly as to make a pretty good comparison of this team versus the others.

I believe him. Now, if we would only catch some breaks along the way.

Plus he knows that we are going to get Ashley Lelie

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge
        I like the bravado (What is he supposed to say?), but don't put much stock(nowledge) into it.
        Ahh, so your sellin............

Comment

The man has led a team to the Super Bowl before. Have any of you (us)?

Nope. So what gives you or I the right to question the man?

I'll see you in Miami.

Comment

I am buying what #5 is selling.

No other player has bought into Andy's coach speak like McNabb, so if he is willing to step out of the "saying nothing that can hurt you" box, there must be a strong and legitimate reason for his excitement.

So, I'm with EFD - see you all in Miami!

Comment

Buying. Damn. Hyperbole is waaaay out of character for DMac...so he actually means that, barring injuries, this team has what it takes?!?!
              "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
              — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
              - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Selling.

This team has a lot of "tude" right now, and a major chip on their shoulder. But talk is cheap. You talked the talk, now walk the walk. Make me a believer.

I think there is a lot of "wanna wanna wanna" floating around the Eagles right now. Good. But I'm not buying Trotter's #1 defense, Dawkin's #1 secondary, or McNabb's Super Bowl team......yet.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Man, and you guys say I breathe Green air.......

I'm not saying he is wrong, I'm just sayin it's too early for "anybody" to know this.

Let's wait and finish at least the 5 fake phoney games and see who we are actually bringing to the dance.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                    Selling.

This team has a lot of "tude" right now, and a major chip on their shoulder. But talk is cheap. You talked the talk, now walk the walk. Make me a believer.

I think there is a lot of "wanna wanna wanna" floating around the Eagles right now. Good. But I'm not buying Trotter's #1 defense, Dawkin's #1 secondary, or McNabb's Super Bowl team......yet.
                    This team has earned the right to talk the talk. The NFC East has belonged to this team for 4 of the last 5 years. The one year it didn't, well, they had a ridiculous amount of injuries to contend with as well as the destructive force of that WR.

IMO they've earned the benefit of the doubt. They'll begin to prove it as soon as the calendar allows.

Comment

A MUCH better defensive line is going to make all the difference in the world this year. T.O. or no T.O.

I am not saying that the Eagles should be the Super Bowl favorite. But, I think they are in that upper-echelon of teams that will have a good chance to win it.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                        Man, and you guys say I breathe Green air.......

I'm not saying he is wrong, I'm just sayin it's too early for "anybody" to know this.

Let's wait and finish at least the 5 fake phoney games and see who we are actually bringing to the dance.
                        Hey MDFan,

I would agree more with your statement if it were made by some fan or a sportswriter.

But DMac is not just anybody.

If there is anyone that is best positioned to judge how far this Eagles team will go, I will go with the star QB.

Comment

I'm selling. I love the confidence these guys are showing, but I need to see some results first. And see some healthy RBs. I'm excited for this season, but not booking travel to Miami just yet.

Comment

Maybe DMac is saying this to help pump up the young and new guys for the upcoming season.

After all, a lot of the young guys and new vets -- Reggie Brown, Mike Patterson, Broderick Bunkley, Hank Baskett, (and Darren Howard?) etc. haven't been part of winning NFL teams before. Maybe DMac's telling them that they really are "that good," and is letting his teammates know right now that the Eagles have better talent, execution, health and coaching than a 6-10 team.
                            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

C'mon guys... let's be a bit realistic here(can't believe I'm doin this).

# 5 hasn't even played with the other 10 guys he is going to war with for more than a few plays -- if at all- against 2 pretty bad patch worked D's.

He hasn't seen the D play more than a few plays-- and that was against 2 patchwork O's.

He doesn't know who the 52 guys are that he going to war with are.

He really hasn't seen the any other teams play to know how his team will stack up.

Look, I love the confidence, I think he is saying what he needs and should be saying (it's a tough 5 fake phony game run and a long TC and he needs to keep the guys pumped) it's what the team leader SHOULD be saying.

But factually you can't start "knowing" things like that till you actually go to war. IMHO!

How does he know how Hank Baskett will handle the actual NFL game day experience?

How does he know just how Healthy Westy will be?

Pinky?

Will young McCoy really be good enough?

Will Lito and the rest of the secondary make the great comeback?

On and on and on--- these questions will only get answered as time move on and they actually play some ball.

I'm just saying that it's too early for factually knowing that stuff, even for him. I agree with BE, he is pumping up his troops who by now are starting to get worn down from a long, hard TC.

Comment

Working...
                              X