Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McDaniels: great young coach, arrogant fool or somewhere in between?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDaniels: great young coach, arrogant fool or somewhere in between?

He's a bright young Belichek protege who has sent several quality offensive players packing and drafted a talented but VERY RAW 'character guy' much higher than most thought warranted or necessary. I've heard a quote attributed to Josh ( that I've been unable to confirm) to the effect, "I can take any talented QB and make him a star in the NFL."

Leaving aside the unconfirmed quote, do you have any opinions on McDaniels' performance as Denver's HC and, perhaps more importantly, his personnel decisions?
    Last edited by tinopuno; 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM.

Hitching his wagon to Tebow is a career defining move.

I think it's a mistake. It's one thing to hitch your career to a guy like McNabb like Reid did or even Bradford but when you move up to grab Tebow - you have now put your reputation out front and he's now set to fail.

If he and Tebow succeed - I'll be impressed.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I think that he has an excellent offensive mind but is in over his head as the main man. All he seems to do is play defense anytime that he is in front of a microphone. Purging yourself of all of your talent and then drafting Saint Michael is a hight school move. I think that he's done as a HC by Christmas.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

He's only had a year, but the whole Cutler debacle was an absolute mess, (although, I think Cutler is an asshole and behaved like a five year old when he found out McDaniels wanted to bring in Cassell.) He made a great hire in Mike Nolan and who knows what Tebow is going to bring to the team, but I don't think he's any more arrogant than any other NFL coach.

I think he's got two more years to get things going in the right direction, but I do not think Tebow is the QB to do that.

Comment

Belichek's proteges have not fared particularly well after leaving the Pats...Weis at ND, Crennel in Cleveland, Mangini in NYJ and now Cleveland etc.

Schwartz in Detroit and Daniels in Denver are newly installed HC and so the jury is still out....

Pioli in KC, Dimitroff in Atlanta and Tannenbaum with the NYJ are also newly installed GM although Tannenbaum has been with the Jets since 2006 and thus has more of a track record away from NE.

I think Daniels is very capable, but sense E60 may be right that he is over his head as the HC. The loss of Cutler, Marshall etc. and the talent they have brought in has not been equal IMV--Denver's ownership is pretty patient however so he will likely get a few more seasons to prove himself
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

He might be in over his head but he's got the confidence of his owner. I think he gets a full 3 years before he's exposed like Lane Kiffin. (Of course that just means he gets to jump ship to a better job. the world is a funny place.)

Comment

I can respect the man for putting his stamp on things, and for not fearing the loss of talented malcontents. He is building the team his way, with his type of character guys. How do you fault a guy for that? He will succeed, or he will fail. But he will do it by his standards.

Coach Ryan is taking similar type risks in NY. Not stuck on character, but his type of player and his style of team that he has stuck his fingerprints firmly all over.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                I can respect the man for putting his stamp on things, and for not fearing the loss of talented malcontents. He is building the team his way, with his type of character guys. How do you fault a guy for that? He will succeed, or he will fail. But he will do it by his standards.

Coach Ryan is taking similar type risks in NY. Not stuck on character, but his type of player and his style of team that he has stuck his fingerprints firmly all over.
                Ryan is going to the play offs this year while McDaniel will have a top 5 pick in 2011. I'll go with Rex.

Comment

The point was, I like a coach openly stamping his personality on his team, not worrying about pleasing everyone else.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                    The point was, I like a coach openly stamping his personality on his team, not worrying about pleasing everyone else.
                    I hearya Fresh. The thing is, the great coaches find ways to deal with the "pieces of work". That stamp of approval really is a "let's get rid of the assholes" up in Denver. Trumping the deal by drafting a choirboy was pretty obvious that he can't or won't deal with the dorks. Lawrende Taylor was a piece of work too. Somehow Parcells handled it.

BTW, I would have cleaned house the same way Mac did in Denver. But I just don't think it's going to help him keep his job. Shanahan got fired for going 8-8.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      Shanahan got fired for going 8-8.

That's not really a fair comparison 60. Shanny was there forever and was taking the team backwards for several years when the ax was finally swung. I think McDaniels lasts through the 2011 season (assuming there is one) and has a 50-50 shot of returning. If he can show that Tebow was worth the move up then McDaniels is set for another 5 years after that. If Tebow is toast at that point, so is Josh.
                      Last edited by Jukin; 04-27-2010, 04:32 PM.
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Don't forget that McDaniels wasn't the first coach that Brandon Marshall butted heads with. Shanahan wanted to straight-up cut Marshall before he was fired.

Comment

McDaniels is out of a job in two years, max. Tebow sucks.
                          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                          X