Carson Still Playing A Big Role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carson Still Playing A Big Role

helping Nick. The world needs a couple million more of him.

AP Images
    Torn ACL, players' day off, and Wentz still helps Foles plan for Giants

By Reuben Frank | NBC Sports Philadelphia December 13, 2017 10:50 AM

Facebook

Google

Twitter

Email

They've been together every day since training camp began. Carson Wentz and Nick Foles.
    And now that Wentz's season is over and Foles is the Eagles' quarterback?
    That won't change.
    "He'll be a huge help," Foles said Tuesday of Wentz. "He was around today. (I was) just having conversations with him and how grateful we all are that Nate (Sudfeld), him and I have gotten to spend so much time together developing that relationship.
    "He's going to come back stronger than ever. I know his mentality, him as a person, him as an athlete, this is just part of his journey, and we all continue to pray for him. And he's going to be instrumental every single week here on out for this team."
    What does it say about Wentz that Tuesday — the players' day off and just two days after suffering that devastating injury — he was at the NovaCare Complex working with Foles and going over what he'll face Sunday against the Giants?
    But nobody who's been paying attention all year should be surprised.
    "He's fully supportive," Foles said. "We've been together this whole year, preseason, OTAs, and that he's going to be there every step of the way and I know he's got my back, and that will never change, and that goes both ways."
    Foles will make his first start since last November and first in an Eagles uniform since November 2014 on Sunday when the Eagles face the Giants at 1 p.m. at the Meadowlands.
    A win gives the Eagles a first-round bye in the playoffs. A win combined with a Vikings loss to the Bengals gives the Eagles home-field through the NFC Championship Game.
    Foles is 15-9 as the Eagles' starting quarterback, including a 14-4 record since his rookie year.
    Wentz was 11-2 in his 13 starts this year and is a Pro Bowl lock and still in the MVP race despite the season-ending injury.
    "I think Carson will be a huge support," offensive coordinator Frank Reich said. "I mean, first of all, I can't even tell you the kind of support Nick was for Carson, and I'm sure Nick will still be that kind of support for Carson going through what he's going through.
    "That (quarterback meeting) room cannot, from a chemistry standpoint and from a character standpoint, it can't get any better. That room is the best room. So Carson will add into that.
    "Just getting to know Carson the way we all know him, he'll help, but he's a guy who has a lot of ideas, and he's very engaged like that, as is Nick. So I think Carson will have the maturity to understand, 'Hey, Nick's running the show right now, so just be there to support him in whatever way he can.'"
    Because of the injury, Wentz likely won't be allowed on the sidelines with the other quarterbacks and coaches and work directly with Foles on gameday.
    But head coach Doug Pederson said he expects Wentz to be with the team Sundays and helping Foles in some capacity.
    "A lot like Jordan Hicks and Jason Peters and these guys, he can be around and be in the meeting rooms," Pederson said.
    "He can watch the tape (and) be there on gameday and just be another set of eyes for the quarterbacks, for Nick, and just having his input and having him around … it would be a big boost.
    "(It's) an opportunity for him now to kind of put the coaching hat on and to help Nick."
    Chase Daniel was Wentz's backup last year, but the Eagles released Daniel on March 13, the same day they signed Foles to a two-year, $11 million contract.
    Foles and Wentz have become very close over these last 10 months, and Foles said he'll draw on that now that he's replacing his friend.
    "Right now, as a teammate, someone who cares a lot about him, you hurt, but you're there to support him, pray for him," Foles said.
    "Carson is such a huge part of this organization and will be for a long time and he's done so much for this team on the field and in the locker room, and a big part of coming here.
    "Well, my job now is to step in that huddle and keep this thing rolling, and that's what I plan on doing."
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Heck, I read where he was the most fired up guy in the locker room after the game. Let's just hope that he can play next year! These things take time to fully heal.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
    X