Genos Steaks in trouble over "Speak English" sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDFAN
    "In all honesty, I believe he should be allowed to put up any sign he wants and live with the consequences...good or bad. How's that for a flip-flop? Maybe I should run for political office! "

Hmmmm, so you voted YES, but you really think NO????

I think you're banned from any other SC polls!
    That might pose a major obstacle to my continuing sobriety and I hate the idea of going all through the 12 Steps again. On the other hand, there are a couple bottles of Reisling chilling in the fridge, so it might be worth it.

Decisions! Decisions!

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno
      That might pose a major obstacle to my continuing sobriety and I hate the idea of going all through the 12 Steps again. On the other hand, there are a couple bottles of Reisling chilling in the fridge, so it might be worth it.

Decisions! Decisions!
      Hey! No resting on your laurels!
      I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

After a long weekend in San Diego I have to say that I thought about this sign a few times out there. It's a great town - no doubt about that! I went to a Mexican restaurant and asked one of the workers there where the take out area was. I was answered with " I not speak English". Later in the trip at a store I asked someone setting things on the shelves if the store would be open later that night. Again I was answered with "Not understand the English". Back at the hotel the day we were checking out the maid came by and tried to open the door. She saw us getting ready to leave and looked embarrassed. I said that we had requested a late check out and she responded with "I not good with English."

I have no problem with any of these folks as they struggle to learn the language. In fact I seriously think that the US should be providing English lessons for immigrants at no charge. Simply provide funding for local high schools and colleges to offer classes as a means of assistance for these folks. Now if someone comes here and flat out refuses to learn the language, then I have a problem with that, but as long as they are working towards assimilating into our culture then IMO they deserve the time and resources they need to help that happen.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
          Vin I really don't see how the sign is offensive or how it "makes targeted groups feel their patronage is unwelcome." All it says is please speak english.
          Here's the thing Jukin - if it's purpose is to tell non-English speaking customers to speak English - HOW EXACTLY will they be able to READ the SIGN anyway? No, this sign was put up by the owner as his way of telling the rest of the white people in his neighborhood that he's just as annoyed by the influx of Mexicans as they are, and he's making his little statement. And i'm sure he's probably something of a hero for it.

The sign doesn't break any laws and it's his right to do it, but it's not exactly throwing out the welcome wagon for new customers.

Comment

You hit the nail on the head, Swing. It's just him being a prick. I love how this motherfucker thinks his family got off the Mayflower or something.

Comment

Actually vin if you listen to the guy he said that his family struggled to learn English when they got here. His problem is that supposedly some of his patrons have express resentment that they have to learn English and want to continue to use Spanish instead. That's what set him off and I don't blame him. If he's ok living with the drop off in business that this could bring then let him do what he wants as far as the sign goes. If someone wants to move to a new country and not learn the language then they deserve what they get IMO. It's one thing to be a tourist and not speak the language, it's another to be a resident.

Comment

Here's my question. Why are we debating about some idiot and his retarded sign when Tony Luke's has the best cheesesteaks?

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                  Here's my question. Why are we debating about some idiot and his retarded sign when Tony Luke's has the best cheesesteaks?

I knew youse guys would find your way back to me sooner or later.......

Comment

Please help me!

At the risk of revealing my massive ignorance of REALLY important information (as though I haven't done that already on a frequent basis), where is Tony Luke's?

On those infrequent occasions when I get back to Philly, I usually try to grab a steak at either Pat's or Geno's, but they both tend to be crowded and not as good as I remember from when I lived in the area. There are a couple of places out by Philly International where I've gotten good steaks, but I've come across them by chance and can't remember where they were. (I've really got to stop drinking!)

Any directions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated...as long as they don't involve unseemly acts with farm animals.

Comment

Please help me!

At the risk of revealing my massive ignorance of REALLY important information (as though I haven't done that already on a frequent basis), where is Tony Luke's?
                      Wow.. this might merit a suspension from the board. For shame.

http://www.tonylukes.com/directions.htm

Oh.. and may I suggest the Roast pork with broccoli rabe.

Hahahah. I like how Tony Lukes has weighed in on the Geno's thing:
                      http://www.tonylukes.com/

Comment

I don't take this as offensive or discriminatory at all. I just think he is trying to speed up the line so everyone can get in and out quickly. I was stuck in line yesterday behind someone who couldn't speak English well and it was really annoying. It took forever.
                        "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playin that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talkin' trash like that."

Comment

Please help me!

Wow.. this might merit a suspension from the board. For shame.

http://www.tonylukes.com/directions.htm
                          Gracias, Senor! (Ooops, my bad!) Thank you, Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJackson
                            I don't take this as offensive or discriminatory at all. I just think he is trying to speed up the line so everyone can get in and out quickly. I was stuck in line yesterday behind someone who couldn't speak English well and it was really annoying. It took forever.
                            Not exactly Jackson. He's doing it as a political stance. This has nothing to do with business. If it did, he wouldn't alienate customers. Money is money.

I'd take money from a crack whore who could only tap her order out with her fake leg if I were selling cheesesteaks.

Comment

"I'd take money from a crack whore who could only tap her order out with her fake leg if I were selling cheesesteaks. '

LOL...... but maybe not if you had more money than God already!

Comment

I'd take money from a crack whore who could only tap her order out with her fake leg if I were selling cheesesteaks.

I hear they're hiring Vin! Maybe you should consider a move back to the Philly area....

Comment

Working...
                                X