Genos Steaks in trouble over "Speak English" sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jukin,

Is there anything/place on this earth that you can't find a picture of?

And, I could be way off on this but, isn't that Saddam Hussein's picture in the "badge-shaped sign" on the near corner of Geno's?

Geez! You'd think people would be more concerned with Geno's posting a picture of a foreign despot on his building, than some silly "Speak English" sign. I wouldn't be surprised if he has Osama Bin Laden working in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno
      Jukin,

I could bring back my old avatar with a picture of Geno's as the backdrop.
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno
        Jukin,

Bet he can't find one of Jeffy holding up the Lombardi AFTER the Eagles have won the SB-----------------

Cause there ain't any TILL FEBRUARY OF 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

More like never!
          "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playin that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talkin' trash like that."

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJackson
            More like never!
            Hey, funny post!

Comment

Just to lighten the load a tad...........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This Just In--------

Subject: Everybody has to help.

A big earthquake with the strength of 8.1 on the Richter scale has hit Mexico. Two million Mexicans have died and over a million are injured.

The country is totally ruined and the government doesn't know where to start with asking for help to rebuild.

The rest of the world is in shock.

Canada is sending troopers to help the Mexican army control the riots.

Saudi Arabia is sending oil.

Other Latin

American countries are sending supplies.

The European community
              (except France) is sending food and money.

The United States, not to be outdone, is sending two million replacement Mexicans.

God Bless America!

BTW-- any more on this signage issue up there?

Comment

this PC bullshit i am reading in here makes me sick. you are only offended if you choose to be offended. that stupid sign has no bearing on anything in the city. it is the crybabies who have made it into a big deal. it is completely overblown and grossly out of proportion. it is a private business and therefor a private matter.

the sticker is small and inconspicuous.

if you don't like his stance buy your steaks elsewhere...but don't infringe his right to free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
                  this PC bullshit i am reading in here makes me sick. you are only offended if you choose to be offended. that stupid sign has no bearing on anything in the city. it is the crybabies who have made it into a big deal. it is completely overblown and grossly out of proportion. it is a private business and therefor a private matter.

the sticker is small and inconspicuous.

if you don't like his stance buy your steaks elsewhere...but don't infringe his right to free speech.
                  Good Post!

Comment

As someone who lives in a foreign country part of the time, I voted yes. I just imagined if I had to confront a "Speak Only Thai" sign when I tried to order something in Thailand. Fortunately, the Thais are much more understanding - perhaps it is because Buddhism is so much a part of their culture.
                    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

So whatever became of this publicity stunt? Is the sign still up? Is business up or down?

I'm pretty sure he didn't get forced by law to take it down, which I 100% agree with since it's his right to be a petty asshole cashing in on anti-immigrant backlash.

I also remain pretty sure that plenty of people who can barely speak English still go there and order cheesesteaks the same way I order tacos at a Mexican bodega where nobody speaks English.

Comment

BUMP?????????????

Comment

Here's an update from the Inquirer. It seems it may be going to Court in the next few months. Personally I'd like to see it go to trial so we can get a precident and end all the bullshit.

************************************************** ******

Posted on Fri, Feb. 09, 2007

Stakes get higher for Geno's

The steak shop's "speak English" sign is discriminatory, a city panel says. A law firm is coming to owner Joey Vento's aid.

By Andrew Maykuth
                          Inquirer Staff Writer

The highly charged dispute over the speak-English sign at Geno's Steaks is about to heat up.

The Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations notified Geno's owner Joey Vento this week that it had found probable cause that his sign urging patrons to order in English is discriminatory. The next step is to schedule a hearing to settle the dispute or to escalate the charges against the owner of the South Philadelphia sandwich stand.

Vento, who argues that the sign expresses opinions protected by the First Amendment, has enlisted the support of the Southeastern Legal Foundation, a conservative public-interest law firm in Atlanta that last year won a settlement for an Ohio bar owner who faced similar charges.

"I'm shocked the city is pursuing this," said Albert G. Weiss, Vento's attorney in Philadelphia. "You'd think they have more important things to deal with."

National news coverage last summer of the controversy brought an outpouring of support for Vento. Weiss said Vento will refuse to remove the sign in his Ninth Street shop that features an American flag and an eagle with the statement: "This is America. When ordering, please speak English."

Vento says he has never actually denied service to any patrons who were unable to communicate in English, and so, he contends, he can't be prosecuted for discrimination.

The Human Rights Commission apparently is alleging Vento violated a section of the city's Fair Practices Ordinance that prohibits the owner of a public accommodation from putting up a sign aimed at "any specific group" to make its members feel discriminated against or unwelcome.

"A lot hinges on perception," said W. Nick Taliaferro, executive director of the commission.

The Southeastern Legal Foundation last year championed a similar cause in Mason, Ohio, where bar owner Tom Ullum was cited by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission for posting a sign that stated: "For Service, Speak English."

The Ohio case went to a hearing in the state capital before the commission dismissed the charges when the complainant dropped her objections, said Todd G. Young, a spokesman for the legal foundation.

Ullum, 65, said in a telephone interview that the case was settled only when he agreed to remove the sign and replaced it with a less objectionable one that did not make it appear that service would be denied to non-English speakers. The new sign reads: "Here We Speak English."

"I finally got fed up with it and signed the damn thing," Ullum said of the settlement.

"It's just a bunch of political stuff," said the bar owner, who said he frequently posts signs expressing his conservative political opinions. "We're just a local blue-collar bar, that's all."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Contact staff writer Andrew Maykuth at 215-854-2947 or [email protected].

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/16657337.htm
                          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                          X