No announcement yet.

I'm ready for a trade for a veteran CB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I share the sentiment - I agreed that CB was the weakest spot, and nothing was done to address it, and I'm afraid we are going to be looking at getting smoked on a regular basis next year.

With that said, what has always been true about Andy Reid is that while his words tell you nothing, he will always tell you his views with his actions. Therefore, I think this draft tells you that Andy believes the problems in coverage last year were a result of the following mix of factors:

1. lack of pressure from the front 4

2. poor Free Safety play

3. Sheldon Brown's decline/injury related decline

It is also at least possible that the draft board never fell in a way in which he saw value at CB where he was drafting and who was available at that time and he was true to his board. If that is the case, we are in deep trouble. I hope he is right - the problem is that we have seen him try to patch over holes in ways that backfired before (Levon Kirkland, Gocong/Dhani/Wayne SLB black hole, Pinkston/Small/curtis/ WR black hole, etc.) and I hope that is not what happens here.

Comment

I didn't like the Sheldon trade from the get-go. They seem intoxicated with both youth movement and draft picks. Somebody needed to put the brakes on and the Brown trade was that point. I'm not against the idea of rebuilding but it needs to be in a balanced way.

None the less I suspect they have a plan B, but I am afraid it may not be a very strong one or will take a little luck. Hopefully they already had a trade possibility lined up.

Comment

I agree that improvemenet in the pass rush is going to help the secondary.

I also agree that improving the FS position is going to help the corners. And, for those that say that FS is not a position where a guy can make an impact as a rookie look no further than Louis Delmas. I think Nate Allen is going to be very good.

Finally, Sheldon Brown was good last year but I think Hobbs, Jackson, Harris, and some others could be an OK stopgap. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that they are going to have a great corner tandem next year but we've had a great corner tandem for the last 8-10 years and we have no super bowl.

Let's try focusing on the front 7 this year more and see if that way works because the other way didn't work in the most important situations.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

IIRC, Harris was drafted as a CB and "we" tried to make him a safety. So we have no idea how good or bad a CB Harris is.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
            Ellis Hobbes played well in NE???? Vote, you can't be serious. There's a reason why they parted ways with him. He stinks. He's a good KO returner, and he can help in the nickle, but if they end up relying on him to start this year, they are seriously f'cked.

I hate the Sheldon Brown deal more than anything right now. I hate the idea of turning a stable position into a potential clusterf'ck, but that's what they've done.

They better do something, or we better get used to seeing the secondary get lit the f'ck up.
            He started at CB during their 18-1 season and also the next season after being a backup for his first two seasons....I doubt some one who "stinks" starts for NE for multiple years...they parted ways with Samuel too, does he now stink????

Brown is 31, wanted to get paid more and was starting to show decline...he got burned quite a bit last season--how is that stable? We gave up 27 pass TD last year! The secondary definitely needed to be overhauled and they have brought in alot of new players
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Ellis Hobbs sucks as a corner. But, I don't think the CB situation is so bad that we need to panic. Even the best corners cannot cover top receivers if the QB has all day to set up and scan the field. We helped ourselves tremendously in the draft by getting some DE's who can rush the passer. I believe that they saw our defensive woes as being the result of the lack of an effective pass rush, and they set out to address the problem. I now believe that we will be better against the pass than we were last year.
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by longsnapper View Post
                Well, I share the sentiment - I agreed that CB was the weakest spot, and nothing was done to address it, and I'm afraid we are going to be looking at getting smoked on a regular basis next year.

With that said, what has always been true about Andy Reid is that while his words tell you nothing, he will always tell you his views with his actions. Therefore, I think this draft tells you that Andy believes the problems in coverage last year were a result of the following mix of factors:

1. lack of pressure from the front 4

2. poor Free Safety play

3. Sheldon Brown's decline/injury related decline

It is also at least possible that the draft board never fell in a way in which he saw value at CB where he was drafting and who was available at that time and he was true to his board. If that is the case, we are in deep trouble. I hope he is right - the problem is that we have seen him try to patch over holes in ways that backfired before (Levon Kirkland, Gocong/Dhani/Wayne SLB black hole, Pinkston/Small/curtis/ WR black hole, etc.) and I hope that is not what happens here.
                Good analysis!
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Right now, I would have no issue with trading next year's first rounder for Nandi Asomowegi or however you spell his name. I really wouldn't. He is young and is better than anything we could get in next year's draft and fills a clear hole.

Other than that though, I would pass and go to war with what we got.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                  X