• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
    3rd round pick = Westbrook / Moats / Gocong

Is Lelie worth that kind of value?
    Poor argument IMO, draft picks are crap shoots---

Billy McMullen, Doug Brzezinski, Bobby Hoying, Greg Jefferson, Joe Panos, Eroc Zomalt, Derrick Frazier, Tommy Jeter.

So IMO, I'd rather not give up a proven NFL DLmen --- when a high 3rd (90th or above) round pick will get me a a starting (and young) #2 WR.

Comment

"3rd round pick = Westbrook / Moats / Gocong

Is Lelie worth that kind of value? "

I think so. Westbrook is great. Who knows about Moats and GoCong. We know what we are getting in Lelie whereas draft picks are a gamble.

If you want to list Westbrook, Moats and GoCong then you have to include Matt Ware, Billy McMullen, Derrick Burgess (helps your argument). Also Trotter, Rossum and Staley were 3rd round picks.
      Mind you, not picks of Reid.

Hard to say. Remember that Lelie was a first round pick.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I wouldn't look at what you get for a 3rd round pick. Remember how many times we've packaged picks to move up? Although that's a crapshoot as well because for every Andrews, there is a McDougle but they use these picks strategically. They traded up for Justice in the 2nd round and Gilles in 4th. You need picks in order to make this happen.

Comment

What about our second round picks?

Barry Gardner, Quinten Cavor, Matt McCoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
            What about our second round picks?

Barry Gardner, Quinten Cavor, Matt McCoy...
            Brian Dawkins, Michael Lewis, Sheldon Brown, Reggie Brown, LJ Smith . . .

Comment

My point being that a draft pick can go either way - if Lelie is deemed a critical need - then the Birds will get him. Doesn't matter what round the pick is in - if the need is there and Lelie fits that need you make the deal because he is at least a proven #2 WR in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
                if the need is there and Lelie fits that need you make the deal because he is at least a proven #2 WR in the NFL.
                I hear you but Jabar Gaffney was a proven #2 WR in the NFL last year. Peerless Price was a proven #2 in the NFL before Atlanta signed him to big $. Acquiring a WR in the NFL that isn't an elite WR is about as much of a crapshoot as a draft pick.

Comment

That's where the art of determining talent comes into play - does this guy fit our system? Can he learn the system somewhat quickly? If the need for Lelie exists and the staff determines that a 2nd or 3rd is worth it and he fits, then hey, why take a chance on another Barry Gardner?

Comment

Broken rib = 3weeks out? Does anyone else find that to be a little aggressive?

Comment

Nobody is asking Lelie to step up and be a number 1, (ala Price) they would only be asking him to do exactly what he has done in the past.

And as was brought up before, we shouldn't be in such a rush (and I agree) on judging Gaffney.

The bottom line, IMO, is that with Lelie you know what you are getting, with a 3rd round pick (#90 appx) it is a crap shoot. And it's not like Lelie is som eaged Vet that will be gone after this year, he is still a young guy.

And I hear about the packaging and agree that they have done some nice things. But does that mean that you never trade a 3rd round pick cause you might be able to use that to move up next year? Think you need a crystal ball for that one.

The bottom line here is that the Eagles and AR will determine just how much they want to depend on Pinky and just how much THEY think Lelie will add if they don't have confidence in Pinky and just how important they think a deep threat is to their O.

Like I've said, IMO, I don't give up an regular player and a 5th(hypothetically).. I'd prefer to give up the 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                      X