Observations from yesterdays game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from yesterdays game

8-1 at the Bye and it feels so good. What this team has accomplished so far is beyond anyone's predictions. I knew they had the talent but I didn't think it would come together this quickly. Think about this, now every team has injuries but if I would have told you their Left Tackle, Starting Running back, Starting Tight End, Middle Linebacker, Starting Corner, Kicker and best special teams player would all not be playing in week 9, nobody would have thought this team would be 8-1, All Hail Howie, All Hail Doug and all hail the players on this team.

1. Wentz - Fabulous game. The stats of 199 passing yards don't mean much, 4 TD's, totally toyed with a very good bronco's defense and basically is playing like the MVP of the league should.

2. If what we saw yesterday from Ajayi is a normal thing, and it could be, this team might just ride this for a long time. Denver keyed in Ajayi everytime he was in the game at the begining, the result a 32yd TD pass to Jeffrey, another 14 yard pass to Jeffrey for a first down, then when they shaded toward Jeffrey, a 47 yrd TD run by Ajayi, The kid is legit and gives this team another dimension. Can't wait to see him get a few more snaps.

3. Speaking of running backs. Corey Clement a personal favorite of mine when they signed him as an undrafted FA, the kid is really coming on, 3td's, he catches the ball, he runs the ball and yesterday I noticed something else, he is starting to really understand blocking, he came across on one play and wipe out the blitzing LB as Carson threw the ball, great recognition by Clement.

4. Lets give it up for the Defensive backs on this team. Its not just the INT's even when teams are completing balls now they are completing them with CB or safeties right there. Getting Darby back for the Dallas Game should make this group that much better.

5. Sometimes the best trades you make are the ones you don't. Mychal Kendricks was once again all over the field yesterday. Not many linebackers can make the play he made down by the goal line.

6. Alshon Jeffrey and Carson Wentz are really starting to get on the same page, yesterday was another long TD for Jeffrey who is now on pace for 10td's 1000 yards and 70 catches. The catches are probably a little low for what we projected but I think it took a little time for Wentz and Jeffrey to get used to each other. They are hitting stride at the right time. I can't imagine the Eagles are going to let Jeffrey go at the end of the year. He obviously likes it here and the Eagles like having him here.

7. Helluva catch by Nellie Agholor. He really was pretty quite yesterday until that catch. To see him fired up was just great. Especially knowing where this kid was this time last year.

8. Lane Johnson was outstanding yesterday. Von Miller was not heard from until Seumolo went in there and even then he had to jump offsides (missed by the officials) to make a play on Nick Foles. He and Shane Ray were offsides all game. Wentz cadence is starting to really effect pass rushers (BTW that is a big way of slowing down the rush). The greats like Brady and Rodgers do this all the time. Wentz is now in that Stratisphere.

9. Finally Doug P. got a ton of grief from a lot of us (me included). I have to say this guy has done a fabulous job. I personally think he should be coach of the year. His game plans, in game adjustments and the fact that this team really wants to play for him is what coaching is about. He is having fun, the team is having fun and the Fans are loving it.

Enjoy the Bye week, we have a knock down drag em out fight ahead of us in Dallas. I am sure Jerry will have his officals waiting for us, I am sure that Zeke will play and I am sure we will kick Dallas ass
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I think our position coaching is outstanding. They consistently get the next guy up to game speed. The first game might be a bit rough. They improve. Consider our CBs and where they are now from where they started. Or Big V. Or the guys playing LB.

Comment

I didn't even mention BIG V, who played outstanding yesterday. Shane Ray was not heard from except for his off sides penalties. That is an excellent pass rusher that he totally shut out, not only that his run blocking looked a lot better.

Comment

One thing thathelp V is they used Celek a bunch to help him. But agree... he played really well.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Right now there are very few concerns. But I have one that I am keeping my eye on.

I know that Jake Elliott has a big leg and can nail the long FG's. But, I am just a little concerned about his accuracy sometimes as distanced does not seem to really matter. He has missed 3 XP's in the last 2 games and one of his FG misses was a shorty. I want to know that my kicker is going to make nearly all his FG's inside the 40. When the game is on the line and you are driving for a short winning FG, your kicker needs to be money on those short FG's.

So far Elliotts misses have not cost us. And, overall his numbers are fine. But, I am just slightly concerned about this as Caleb Sturgis made 140 of 144 XP's over his entire career. Elliott is on a much worse pace.

Comment

I watched the snap again yesterday on the miss and it was another bad snap from Lovato. We have been so lucky with the Magic Man here for so long.

Either way bad snap or not Elliot has to kick em. He is still a rookie least we forget. Sturgis could come back at some point soon if we need him, so we will have an option IF we make the playoffs.

Comment

Everybody is all smiles when they win, especially when you lay a 50 burger on them. We did hit Denver at the perfect time though and they actually quit in the 2nd half. MD may have scored on that hole that Ajayi ran through. The holes in general were gaping after awhile. The game eventually turned into a scrimmage.

Dallas looked like the Dallas of last year Sunday. That game after the bye is really going to be a slugfest. I hope Lane is OK with that back of his. I don't think that Stoutland should have let him back in the game at that point. Sometimes you have to save players from themselves.

Just looking at the schedule it is really hard for us to get that top seed. We HAVE to split with Dallas period. Winning the division could be the difference between home field throughout or a bottom wildcard. Every game is so important in November and even more in December. It's nice to be in contention again! I hope the whole thing doesn't come down to the last game of the season. Then again if it does and we win maybe that would be ultracool. There's so many cool things running through my mind right now!
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Elliot's kickoffs as the game progressed were shorter and shorter. Fatigue from scoring so much or leg strength.

I also would read too much into Sturgis' xp career. How many of those were from the old xp spot?

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  I watched the snap again yesterday on the miss and it was another bad snap from Lovato. We have been so lucky with the Magic Man here for so long.

Either way bad snap or not Elliot has to kick em. He is still a rookie least we forget. Sturgis could come back at some point soon if we need him, so we will have an option IF we make the playoffs.
                  Snapper and holder have to be the worst 2 positions to play in all of sports because what you do is taken for granted and when you screw up everybody in the world knows it's your fault. We've been spoiled in that regard for the last 20 years with Dorenbos and the great guy that we had before him (see, I can't even remember his name but he was sensational!).
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Dorenbos was great!

Comment

The game was cut away from here in Virginia but from what i observed:

O line proved its mettle against stout Denver defense.
                      Both TE's played well.
                      Its nice to have a backfield with surplus. Smallwood has probably been relegated to STer from now on. Clement is getting better every week. Ajayi is going to be a nightmare for teams to prepare for.
                      Smith is still a placeholder for Hollins. Wondering how much longer that will last. Jeffery and Wentz are on same page.
                      Defense is playing great!

Just an absolutely solid win!

Comment

Bartram?
                        Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                        Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          Everybody is all smiles when they win, especially when you lay a 50 burger on them. We did hit Denver at the perfect time though and they actually quit in the 2nd half. MD may have scored on that hole that Ajayi ran through. The holes in general were gaping after awhile. The game eventually turned into a scrimmage.

Dallas looked like the Dallas of last year Sunday. That game after the bye is really going to be a slugfest. I hope Lane is OK with that back of his. I don't think that Stoutland should have let him back in the game at that point. Sometimes you have to save players from themselves.

Just looking at the schedule it is really hard for us to get that top seed. We HAVE to split with Dallas period. Winning the division could be the difference between home field throughout or a bottom wildcard. Every game is so important in November and even more in December. It's nice to be in contention again! I hope the whole thing doesn't come down to the last game of the season. Then again if it does and we win maybe that would be ultracool. There's so many cool things running through my mind right now!
                          We HAVE to split with Dallas? Fuck that. We're going to sweep Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                            We HAVE to split with Dallas? Fuck that. We're going to sweep Dallas.
                            The only way I'm ok with splitting with Dallas is if we have HFA wrapped up by week 17 and play all of our backups. This next game is a MUST WIN if we want to win the division and get a first round bye!
                            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                              The only way I'm ok with splitting with Dallas is if we have HFA wrapped up by week 17 and play all of our backups. This next game is a MUST WIN if we want to win the division and get a first round bye!
                              If someone told me in August that we’d be having discussions about HFA in week 9- I’d have said they were drinking too much of the KoolAid.

Amazing season and it’s only getting better

Comment

Working...
                              X