X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Great Attitude

Rasul Douglas gets it

• <LI class=twitter> <LI class=googleplus> <LI class=reddit> x

Rasul Douglas wasn't expected to have a prominent role in the Philadelphia Eagles secondary this season. The rookie was expected to sit the bench and observe.
    A friendly reminder Douglas was inactive the first game of the year.
    A dislocated ankle suffered by Ronald Darby in the opener forced Douglas to be thrust into action in Week 2 against the Kansas City Chiefs...and even then it took the Eagles a quarter to inset Douglas into an actual NFL game.
    Douglas didn't relinquish his starting outside cornerback spot. The rookie had some success and failure (expected for a first-year cornerback), but has 18 tackles, nine pass deflections, and two interceptions through eight games.
    Douglas also ranks 48th out of 116 qualified cornerbacks by Pro Football Focus, the second-highest mark on the Eagles.
    With Darby returning Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys, Darby and Jalen Mills are expected to start at both outside cornerback spots. Where does Douglas fit into the equation?
    The answer is still a mystery, but the rookie will likely return to a special teams role.

"What was my role from the beginning? I had no role," Douglas said. "It’s always been, whatever you want me to do, I’ll do it. If I play 60 snaps alongside of him, at nickel, at dime … if I have to be a waterboy, I’ll be a waterboy. If I have to play special teams, whatever.
    "We’re winning, and we just want to keep winning. That’s the only thing that matters to us."
    The Eagles are 8-1 and currently sit at the top of the NFC! Make sure to stay in the loop for all Eagles news this year -- take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Eagles newsletter now!
    The Eagles know they have a rapidly improving player in Douglas and a future starter for years to come. Like the Eagles cornerbacks, Douglas has been one of the biggest surprises on the Eagles this season after struggling in training camp.
    Still, even a player like Darby has learned from watching teammates like Douglas over the past eight games.
    "You know how Mills, Prob (Patrick Robinson) and them fly around, even the safeties fly around," Darby said. "One thing he stresses: being present in the run game. That’s something I notice about those boys – they comin’ down full speed to get you. That’s something I notice you’ve got to be willing to do in his defense."
    Darby knows the playbook and the exceptions. It's up to him to keep the momentum going.
    Thanks to a rookie like Douglas.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Douglas is a huge pleasant surprise. Love the attitude, I hope he keeps it throughout his career.

Comment

Working...
    X