SF Outside Lands Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Outside Lands Festival

hey vin, i thought you were going to be here this weekend?

don't worry, you didn't miss a thing. i only had tix for friday and had been thinking about returning on sunday. however, after attending a festival that must have been planned by a bunch of inebriated short-bus riding elementary school children, there isn't a chance in hell that i will return on sunday. it wasn't just surly old me, either -- i checked out yelp and the reviews are unanimously harsh.

i was thinking when i first heard about this festival, that anyone who planned a concert on this level in GG park must seriously have their brain examined. turns out i was right.

all the bands overlapped with each other -- for example, beck, manu chao & the black keys all played at the same time. the stages were incredibly far apart -- like a 20 minute walk -- and there was a labyrinth to get to 1/2 the stages, which led to bottlenecking and longer times to get anywhere. i missed so much music trying to get from one place to the other. there was no parking anywhere near the entrances (luckily, i arrived 2 hours prior to the first bands and got parking just a few blocks away) and folks had to park literally an hour or further walk away. apparently public transport was not any better. there were people still entering after radiohead (the last band) started because they couldn't get anywhere near the park by public or private transport. the line for drinking ID's was an hour long. and during radiohead, the sound went out TWICE. seriously. i could go on and on, but i think you get the point.

the only saving grace was the music i did get to see. Black Mountain are a force and i really, really enjoyed them. i saw a few songs of the Black Keys and i liked it, but wasn't blown away (though i love their new record). Benevento/Russo Duo were fun. and, of course, Radiohead (aside from the sound glitches) were just brutally awesome.

Manu Chao sucks. i don't see at all what the fuss is about.

i tried to see Beck, but it was impossible to get where he was playing because of a master cluster-fck. and had i jostled my way through, i would have missed 1/2 of radiohead (let alone getting a spot to watch within a 1/2 mile) just trying to get out of that mess.

wow, what a disaster.

Re: SF Outside Lands Festival

I decided not to go since it seemed like too much of a hassle and I really didn't want to fight it out with 60k people.

My friend said she never even saw the stage for Radiohead but enjoyed the music from far far away.

Seems like I made the right decision.

It's just wayyyyyy too many people in one place. Although there are routinely 60k people for football games and that seems to work out ok.

Comment

Re: SF Outside Lands Festival

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, Betty. A true music lover like you deserves better!
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Working...
      X