Overall Thoughts on draft weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall Thoughts on draft weekend.

The draft is in the books and I have to say looking at the Eagles roster it is stacked. They are going to cut some guys that will catch up and contribute with other teams. I am going to include Jerigan, Ridgeway and the UDFA in this analysis as its the entire weekend.

1. Dillard - Love this pick, Jason Peters resigned but if Dillard proves he can start right away and I think he will, Peters is going to be in interesting situation. I do think this spells the end of Big V they probably trade him for a late round pick.

2. Miles Sanders - Another pick I really like. There is no starter in the backfield for the Eagles, but Sanders, Howard and Clement is a very good backfield. I think only one of Adams, Littlewood, Scott and any of the UDFA guys make it. Sproles while not resigned could still play into this because Doug loves him.

3. JJAW - The last time we took a pass catcher from Stanford it worked out pretty well (Ertz). This kid just catches everything around him. He has zero problems with drops as only be credited with two drops over the last two years. Ran a sub 4.5 so his speed is fine and he looks to run decent routes (Can probably use some polish there). What this means is there is going to be a dog fight for the fifth receiver spot, there are a ton of options from Hollins to Gibson to Johnson to even a undrafted guy like Thompson because he can be a returner.

4. Sharieff Miller - Good value in a prospect at the end of the 4th round. Very athletic and good production at Penn State. Need to refine his approach but where we got him he has a real shot at being a starter down the road. Chris Long is most likely not coming back, Josh Sweat, DeaShon Hall, Ostman, and Miller are in for a dog fight to get that 4th rusher spot.

5. Trade Back and Take Thorson - I am ok with this move. The Eagles philosophy is to take QB every other year and develop them. Now they have not since Carson because they stole Nate. Nate is a Free Agent next year and most likely is gone. So this makes sense. Now is Thorson the right guy, I will trust Doug on this. I see things I like and things I don't like.

6. Ridgeway - This is good value for a last 7th round pick. Howie turned a late 5th rounder into two depth players. Ridgeway is probably the leader for the 4th tackle spot. Although I am sure Trevyon Hester will have a say in that.

7. Jerigan - Really good move to bring him back for another year. If he proves he is healthy he can get back on the market next year and get a good contract (one in which the Eagles get compensation). But also pushing him to the 3rd tackle makes this a very good tackle group.

8. T.J. Edwards LB UDFA - Love this signing. I had him as a 4/5 pick that could eventually start. He is a little more old school MLB not but was a flat out tackling machine at Wisconsin. At the least he is a valuable special teams player, with a little luck he can be a starter eventually.

9. Deonte Thompkins WR PSU- As a receiver he has some things to learn but as a special teams player who can return kicks and punts he is dynamic. Going to really like this kid, he has a good shot.

10. The UDFA Offensive lineman - Bates, Herbig,Opeta, Tucker, I don't pretend to know much about Opeta or Tucker, but Bates and Herbig both have chances to beat out the Jordan Malietas of this team. I hat both Bates and Herbig as 5/6 round picks.

Overall, the only real position I thought they would address and didn't would be safety. However, With Sendjo here, McCloud coming back, I think after a certain point drafting a safety didn't make sense because are they going to be better than Tre Sullivan who played well towards the end of last year. Are they going to be a better special teams player than Hall.

Here is the best thing, Howie still have a ton of cap space, he has some players he can do player swaps with (Like he has done in the past). This a really stacked roster right now.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

They may think of Maddox as a safety

who knows what they think of the UFDA from Cincy. LB? Corner? Safety?

Comment

I'm glad that we didn't trade Aggie and I sure hope that we keep him instead of trading him later on. Players with only 1 year contracts don't fetch much on the trade market and I don't think teams are going to throw a 3rd round pick at us like we did for Golden Tate last year. That really was an anomaly. We're not going to get that for Aggie unless somebody loses a couple of starters and is desperate. I'm sure the Patriots would love to get their hands on him but hopefully won't go for his big salary because they are real cheap bastards despite putting out super teams every year. In fact that big salary is going to discourage anybody from trading for him and I like that.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I have been one for some time that has said that Agholor is going nowhere this year. Honestly looking at this roster the three notable offensive free agents for 2020 are Agholor, Jordan Howard and Jason Peters. Should be no secret as to why Dillard, Sanders and JJAw were the first three selections.

On defense both McCloud and Sendjo are free agents so this is where I was surprised they didn't take a safety. However, not every position can be addressed. They also have depth pieces along the line like Curry, Jernigan etc. that are FA, so drafting Miller makes sense. I didn't mention corner because of the last two drafts they have spent a 2,3 & 4th round picks plus a 3rd for darby on the position.

Linebacker is interesting, as they only play two. They have some numbers there in Cabana Boy, Kruger Hill, Forte, Worilow etc.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
        X