Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #11
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

I do remember that the first thing Luri did was to expand the scouting department when he bought the team and that was cool and a supposed sign that he was going to spend money on it. Then he/Banner became so cheap with the salary cap that was ridiculous. I remember that 3 days before the first game that he owned the team he cut 4 starters pay "just in case somebody got hurt". You can imagine how that went over in the locker room but a lot of teams didn't know how to manage the cap when it first came out. Mom had all the money and I think that he finally was able to convince her that the investment was going to pay off. and she opened the pursestrings. Anyway let's not revisit that time and just say that the Eagles always tried to stay ahead of the game scouting wise (probably used Dallas as a model) but he/Banner/Reid got into an awful spot to start off when they fired Tom Modrak IMO. Modrak put some great rosters together in Buffalo in the smallest market in the league.

All of this nonsense to show that the Eagles have always been interested in good scouting and were one of the first to use BLESTO to try to get ahead in the game. I remember that it was so bad that one of the posters on the old board actually called Mel Kiper to ask him what he thought (tell)of a local player and his wife said "wait a minute and I'll get him, he's out back mowing the lawn!.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

ThoughtProcess has disabled reputation

Jimmy Kempski UDFA analysis:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/analyzin...e-agent-class/

Edwards, Opeta, Herbig, and Thomkins look intriguing to me.
ThoughtProcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
I am not so sure about Stick. He is on the smaller size for a QB and Doug clearly likes taller QB's. Maybe if Stick would have been a UDFA they may have taken a shot.
Not sure why you're not sure about Stick. I thought you had them taking him pre-draft. But I agree with the size that is why I said

And if Stick didn't get picked one spot before the birds picked my guess is he would be in Philly although Thorson's size is much closer to the Philly ideal
Old 04-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #14
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakIggle View Post
Not sure why you're not sure about Stick. I thought you had them taking him pre-draft. But I agree with the size that is why I said

And if Stick didn't get picked one spot before the birds picked my guess is he would be in Philly although Thorson's size is much closer to the Philly ideal
Talking about size the Ohio State kid Haskins that Washington drafted is only 5'10". How the heck do you play at that height? How can you see over the line never mind throw over it?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Nah 60, the Haskins kid is 6-3. Murray that was drafted by Arizona # 1 is 5-10. I know Wilson is pretty small and pretty successful but I agree with you that 5-10 is too small for my liking.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #16
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakIggle View Post
Nah 60, the Haskins kid is 6-3. Murray that was drafted by Arizona # 1 is 5-10. I know Wilson is pretty small and pretty successful but I agree with you that 5-10 is too small for my liking.
Getting them backwards is nothing new for me as you well know. I think that Maholms has got everybody clamoring for the athletic guys again and I'm not buying. Those types kill you in the end while they try to win the game by themselves. Maholms might be a guy that can do it but he sure had weapons to help him that are in jail now aren't most of them? Good luck finding another one of him. And while we're talking about athletic QBs we have to tone our guy down and get him on the ground when he takes off. Other than that he plays the game the right way and we're damned lucky to have him and I wish that we got his little buddy too lol.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #17
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Yep, life for the upshot superstar Mahomes might be a little different next year without some of his weapons. We'll see.
I have no problem with the birds philosophy of QBs with size