• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettleman sure can pick'em

Giants draft pick Corey Ballentine shot, friend killed in shooting
    Apr
    4/28/2019 2:07:34 PM
    |More
    Saturday afternoon, Corey Ballentine was selected by the Giants in the sixth round of the NFL draft, quite an achievement for a player from a Division II school in Topeka, Kansas.

Early the next morning, Ballentine and a close friend and teammate on the Washburn University football team were involved in a shooting that resulted in the death of Dwane Simmons and a gunshot injury to Ballentine that is considered non-life threatening, Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reports.

Ballentine is expected to make a full recovery.

According to WIBW in Topeka, officers responded Sunday around 12:45 a.m. to the 1400 block of 13th Street in Topeka on reports of gunfire. Reports indicate Simmons, 23, died in the street from a gunshot wound. Ballentine, 23, was taken to an area hospital.

“We are aware of the tragic situation and continue to gather information,” the Giants said in a statement issued by the team. “We have spoken to Corey, and he is recovering in the hospital. Our thoughts are with Dwane Simmons’ family, friends and teammates and the rest of the Washburn community.”

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

As you read through this article the last paragraph is priceless LOL

Dave Gettleman: In 3 years, we'll find out how crazy I am
    Apr
    4/29/2019 9:56:11 AM
    |More
    In the age of instant gratification, New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman is requesting patience, Kevin Patra of NFL.com reports.

After the first round of his 2019 NFL Draft basically broke the brains of most Big Blue fans, Gettleman insists he made the right moves and will be proven true in time.

"In three years, we'll find out how crazy I am," Gettleman told Peter King for his Football Morning in America column.

While post-draft grades will be poured over this week, it's fair to note that grading a draft before players have even taken a practice snap, let alone played a game, is the definition of superfluous futility.

After Gettleman suggested it's conceivable that No. 6 overall pick Daniel Jones could sit behind Eli Manning for three years, it will take at least several seasons to evaluate the selection.

Jones is expected to sit for at least a year, which is one reason many questioned the GM for using the No. 6 pick on the QB, rather than wait until later in the draft.

"I agonized over that," Gettleman told King. "I agonized. Before the draft, we discussed that thoroughly as a group-first last Friday, then again Wednesday. Obviously we had great regard for Josh Allen. But the one thing I have learned is you don't fool around with a quarterback. If he's your guy, you take him. If you put 32 general managers in a room and gave 'em sodium pentothal [truth serum], every single one of them would tell you a story of how they got cute in a draft and it cost them a player they wanted. So you don't get cute there. You don't get cute with a quarterback."

If Gettleman believes Jones is the heir to Manning, no price is too high.

Most critics of the pick simply don't believe the Duke QB was worthy of a top-10 selection, or that he will be the best signal-caller in the draft.

Gettleman, however, is belligerent in his self-assurance.

"The bottom line is, I have confidence in what I do and who I am," he told King. "I've been a part of organizations that had pretty good quarterbacks -- Jim Kelly, John Elway, Kerry Collins, Eli Manning, Cam Newton. I've led a charmed life with the quarterbacks on the teams I've worked for. I know what good ones look like. The other thing is, résumés matter. Every once in a while, I wish the people taking the shots would take a minute to look at my résumé. I've been a part of teams that went to seven Super Bowls. I had a hand in some of them. But today, there's no patience. And there's no room for civil discourse in our society, which I find sad."

It's fair to point out that while Gettleman worked for teams that employed the likes of Kelly, Elway, Manning, and Newton, he was not the primary decision-maker when any of those QBs were obtained. In fact, during his run in Carolina, the GM selected zero signal-callers from 2013-2017. His first QB selection as a general manager came last year when the Giants made Kyle Lauletta a fourth-round pick.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The guy is simply a flaming asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
        The guy is simply a flaming asshole.
        Let’s hope he stays Giants GM for another 30 years.

Comment

Working...
        X