No announcement yet.

Reid on the TE situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason Avant already does a fair amount of lining up in the backfield as sort of an h-back. That's probably what Reid was referring too.

Besides, didn't we have only two tight ends last year? Celek and Alex Smith? I don't see the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
      Besides, didn't we have only two tight ends last year? Celek and Alex Smith? I don't see the issue.
      Yeah, seriously...I don't see what the big deal is. A 3rd TE is really quite irrellevant. We used to carry 3 for a while but that was only because Mike Bartrum was a TE. Bartrum was more of a Long-Snapper who happened to play TE than a TE than played LS. So even all of those years we really technically only had 2 (although yes, Bartrum did occasionally see the field on offense, but it wasn't very much.)

Comment

Jason Avant already does a fair amount of lining up in the backfield as sort of an h-back. That's probably what Reid was referring too.

You're right. Last year was a friekin fiasco. They went into camp with Celek, the squid Schobel, and some DE who was out of football for two years that they were going to convert into a TE. All this after they fired LJ Smith. No comparrison really to this year.

But there always is a position where they have no plan for some unkown reason, and it happened again this year at FB. Eldra Buckley? Not a very good plan. Safety is a problem too, but at least they had a decent plan going into camp.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          But there always is a position where they have no plan for some unkown reason, and it happened again this year at FB. Eldra Buckley? Not a very good plan. Safety is a problem too, but at least they had a decent plan going into camp.
          I think you might be forgetting about someone at fullback.

Comment

I think you might be forgetting about someone at fullback.
            I'm taking backup here IMK. We don't even have one on the PS do we?

Comment

Probably not (at least at the moment.) But how many teams actually carry two fullbacks? Aa few do, but I'm pretty sure a majority of teams don't.

Comment

Back-up Fullback? Considering the FB isn't even always on the field, haven't a back-up at that position would just mean taking talent away from another position for no good reason IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                  Back-up Fullback? Considering the FB isn't even always on the field, haven't a back-up at that position would just mean taking talent away from another position for no good reason IMHO.
                  \That's what a practice squad is for-in case someone gets hurt you have a guy that knows the offense and can move up.

Comment

Jason Davis and Dan Klecko are both collecting unemployment,we're fine there.Just a phone call away.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

\That's what a practice squad is for-in case someone gets hurt you have a guy that knows the offense and can move up.
                      How often have we even had a PS fullback on the team? Maybe I'm forgetting someone. I still don't think it's all that necessary. If you need a PS fullback to help, you're in trouble. Such a player would only be a 1st or 2nd year player, and one apparently not good enough to even make the team's 53 man roster. Seems unlikely that player would help you much anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                        How often have we even had a PS fullback on the team? Maybe I'm forgetting someone. I still don't think it's all that necessary. If you need a PS fullback to help, you're in trouble. Such a player would only be a 1st or 2nd year player, and one apparently not good enough to even make the team's 53 man roster. Seems unlikely that player would help you much anyway.
                        Good ones are pretty rare anyway. When we had our problems and were looking for one, so was about 5 other teams. If yours goes down, I guess you're shit outta luck. i just think that you're better of with a rookie who has done it forever than trying to convert a player on your roster. After failing twice (Kleco and the Penn State guy), one would think the Eagles might figure that out too. They failed again trying to convert with the rookie they drafted this year too.

Now as for your comment about how much a PS guy is going to help you at FB, I guess that you could say that about any position!!
                        Last edited by Eagle60; 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

They picked up TE Garrett Mills and stashed him on the practice squad. He was originally drafted by the Pats a few years ago. He was projected to be a H-Back/FB type due to his height. (6 ft. 1in.)

Comment

Working...
                          X