DeSean more concerned about entertaining than what anyone thinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
    E60, what really bothers me is the inconsistency of the NFL rules. In my view, DJax's celebration was not really excessive. It was the simple movement of having his feet leave the ground. Somehow this action is illegal, but the full scale "Lambeau Leap," which every Packer does after every TD is permitted. Where is the logic in that???

Also, Vick's dunking of the ball over the goal post (which also involves feet leaving the ground) is also legal. Whaaaa???? Why is that allowed???

IMO, players should be allowed to celebrate their TD's in any way they want - as long as it doesn't go beyond a specified time limit. If your athleticism enables you to score a touchdown, you should be permitted to celebrate your athleticism - as long as it doesn't impact the flow of the game (25 seconds after scoring would be time enough).

Football is entertainment - plain and simple. Therefore, to limit the entertainment goes against the very nature of the activity itself. That, to me, is logical. Arbitrarily determining what kind of feet leaving the ground is punishable is not logical - it is simply arbitrary.
    I agree with you Stock. But mark my words, this kid is headed in the same direction as Owens and Johnson. He's got a lot of asshole in him. I hope for his sake and ours somebody gets to him. There's a reason that he made it to the second round, and it's not just his size. Keep your fingers crossed.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

E60, you may be right. Maybe we need to bring in Jerry Rice, who mentored DJax before the draft, to have a long talk with him.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

The concussion cost him a few brain cells! The penalty was BS.
        The comment about what Vick thinks is the most troubling!
        Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

I'll say this..

I see what Desean said about not caring about what his QB thinks........but I have ALSO observed how he acts around Vick, and the manner in which he praises Vick to the highest and say she is honeored to be able to play with him. Soooooo.......I think his comment about not caring about what others think is more reflective of his young, rebellious nature than indicative of his respect for Vick.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
            He needs to grow the hell up all right. He wants to celebrate in a big way, fine, but no way should he push his luck about drawing a flag. It could've cost us the game. If the Cowgirls' defense were able to man up and force a punt, and then got the ball with plenty of time to get a game-tying field goal.........believe me, Philly fans would be pissed and blaming DJax and Jorrick Calvin for that. Like the man said, act like you've been there before, and expect to be there again.
            Love this. Way to zero in on the priorities

As for his attitude towards his QB, as long as he listens to him in the huddle, runs his routes and scores, fine. If there's one thing I've learned at work it's that we don't all have to like each other to do a good job together.
            E A G L E S

EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

E60, what really bothers me is the inconsistency of the NFL rules. In my view, DJax's celebration was not really excessive.

Football is entertainment - plain and simple.
              It was taunting and he should have drawn a flag for that more than anything.

For me, this is what I really find entertaining - TDs. Nothing else is needed, everything else pales in comparrison.

If they want to do a celebration what I'd like to see them do is hold up both hands, with their fingers signifying the 10 other guys that got him in the endzone.

Comment

Originally posted by sdeaglefan View Post
                Love this. Way to zero in on the priorities

As for his attitude towards his QB, as long as he listens to him in the huddle, runs his routes and scores, fine. If there's one thing I've learned at work it's that we don't all have to like each other to do a good job together.
                I would say though that good chemistry is far more vital in the extreme environment of NFL competition, and is often a big difference between elite and losing teams (e.g. the TO effect and the 2005 season).

Comment

If he just back dived into the endzone there wouldn't have been a flag. The unsportsmanlike behavior was holding the ball out to the defender. He's got to grow up. When it comes time for a big contract, they oughta put a clause in about these endzone shananigans. Score, congratulate the QB for the pass, acknowledge the O line for protection, and go sit down. I'm old school, but this behavior avoids 15 yard penalties.
                  Sonny J

Comment

I'm not against the kid celebrating,after all he earned it.However since the league has established rules against excessive celebration and since we have issue with some/most officials idea of exactly what is or isn't a penalty DJax should err on the side of caution and just spike the freaking ball.The penalty was actually described as going to the ground in demonstration.Spike it,butt bump your QB/favorite lineman, whatever,just don't cost your team 15 yards in a seven point game with a full quarter to go.Akers covered his ass nicely with a kick to the 11 on the bounce from the 17.Most days that kick would be on the 30 or so which puts the other team at midfield on an avg return.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

If you are more concerned about the penalties that DJ incurs than elated about his wondrous ability, then you really don't deserve to have a player of his abilities on your team
                      Huh?

That's kind of not the point. The point is, it shouldn't be asking much for a guy to just score and not be a douchebag.

Comment

If you, as a supposed Eagles' fan, don't enjoy this, then there is something wrong with you (You might need to relax your tight ass a bit!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyqCj...yer_embedded#!
                        Of course we enjoyed it. The point is, if Akers doesn't bail his ass out on the ensuing kick-off, and they return it to the 50, costing us the game, would you still be saying, "Hey, whatever! If you don't like it, go find another team to route for! He's entertaining!"

Comment

You should look at it the other way - If DJax wasn't as talented as he is, we wouldn't have scored the TD! Who else on this team can do that?

I'll take the endzone celebrations everytime he turns a 10-yard pass into a 91-yard TD.
                          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

You should look at it the other way - If DJax wasn't as talented as he is, we wouldn't have scored the TD! Who else on this team can do that?

I'll take the endzone celebrations everytime he turns a 10-yard pass into a 91-yard TD.
                            You keep saying that as if we would rather NOT have the TD if we have to see the celebration and 15-yard penalty.

I don't care if he celebrates. Just don't do something stupid to get a 15-yard penalty. I don't think it's asking too much to have our cake and eat it too, so to speak. Players HAVE scored long Touchdowns before and have been able to control themselves on the way into the endzone and afterwards.

Comment

Well, that is DJax right now. If you don't like him, then clamor for the Eagles to get someone else.
                              I think it is foolish to worry about a 15-yard penalty after someone performed an amazing athletic feat that very few other people could accomplish. You should just be happy that he scored on an amazing play. I'll take six points and a 15-yard penalty as often as you'll give it to me.

Comment

Well, that is DJax right now. If you don't like him, then clamor for the Eagles to get someone else.
                                I think it is foolish to worry about a 15-yard penalty after someone performed an amazing athletic feat that very few other people could accomplish. You should just be happy that he scored on an amazing play. I'll take six points and a 15-yard penalty as often as you'll give it to me.
                                Well then I guess that you are one stubborn son of a gun Stock! Would you settle for a jump in the air spike? On the one hand, you say that you just saw a 1 in a million play and almost nobody else can do it and the world should be amazed. Then you say you weren't happy until he back flopped into the endzone.

Nobody here has even hinted that they don't want him on the team Stock. They simply don't want him to get a dumb penalty. And I would wager that you don't want to see him penalized either.
                                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                                X