Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks arch.

Just to give a little more perspective to my music interests - we had started this dialogue on PP and thought I'd post here.

My top albums from last year (ranked in this order):

1) My Morning Jacket's "Z"
    2) Death Cab for Cutie - "Plans"
    3) Sufjan Stevens "Come on Feel the Illinoise"
    4) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Self Titled
    5) Coldplay "X&Y" (I know some will cringe when seeing this - can't help it).

Comment

It depends on what kind of music you like. Heartbreaker is aptly titled. There are some rocking tunes on there (To Be Young which was used in Old School) but for the most part, they are sad sad tunes that make you wish you were dead. But hey, for some, that's quality.

Hey stevemc - I listened to X&Y to death when it first came out and now there are like 3 songs on the whole album I can listen to and think "yeah, that's quality". (By contrast, the Unforgettable Fire I can listen to over and over and over.)

I also don't quite get the Sufjan Stevens album. It's ok but it made EVERYONE's TOP 10 list and I didn't get why. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak. It's an odd odd album and the lyrics aren't earthshattering but it's a good album to rock out to.

Death Cab's transatlanticism is a great album as well if you don't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
        And you have his old Whiskeytown stuff?
        Yes.

Where does everyone stand on Uncle Tupelo vs. Wilco?

Personally, I prefer Uncle Tupelo. I just like the dynamic between Farrar and Tweedy so much more than just Tweedy.

I also like Son Volt since it carried on a lot more of the "No Depression" sound than Wilco. But Wilco is by far a better band.

Comment

I thought Son Volt's Trace was a great great album. It's the best night driving music I've ever heard. I thought Wilco was pretty lightweight and the worse of the two UT spinoffs but then Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out and just blew everyone's mind. That album is flawless.

Like I said, Wilco is one of my favorite bands. I think Jeff Tweedy is a genius. If you don't have it already, pick up the Chelsea Walls soundtrack.

Comment

Hey stevemc - I listened to X&Y to death when it first came out and now there are like 3 songs on the whole album I can listen to and think "yeah, that's quality". (By contrast, the Unforgettable Fire I can listen to over and over and over.)

I also don't quite get the Sufjan Stevens album. It's ok but it made EVERYONE's TOP 10 list and I didn't get why. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak. It's an odd odd album and the lyrics aren't earthshattering but it's a good album to rock out to.

Death Cab's transatlanticism is a great album as well if you don't have that.
            Love transatlanticism

Sufjan's album to me is so groundbreaking and outside the box that it captivates me. I can see it not hitting everyone the same.

X&Y pales in comparison to a Rush of Blood to the Head but it still makes a top 5 for the year for me. Sometimes I have to reevaluate though as I can be somewhere from 6-8 months behind on some albums and so an '05 may indeed bump X&Y if I was asked to give that list out in a couple of months.

Comment

Why is it so groundbreaking? I think I'm missing something there.

Comment

Why is it so groundbreaking? I think I'm missing something there.
                I find his ability to make orchestral pop (and not just an instrument here and there) while conveying the history of the state of Illinois and pulling it all off in something as tight and pleasing to the ear as it is to be groundbreaking.

Comment

I think that Tweedy is a genius too, but I think Farrar brought something extra out of him. "Trace" was indeed a great album. Farrar's first solo album, Sebastopol, was a real stinker. Something about it just gave me a headache and I haven't listened to any of the subsequent albums.

I like the collective work of UT more than Wilco. So far.

You know how I know you guys are gay? You like Coldplay.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc_eagle
                    You know how I know you guys are gay? You like Coldplay.
                    I guess I shouldn't discuss my Erasure and Frankie goes to Hollywood fetishes then huh?

Comment

Hahah. Nice quote NYC.

I thought Wide Swing Tremelo was a very good album Prob right behind Trace. I ended up buying all of Farrar's albums just cause... i got nothing better to do.

I'll have to listen to Illinoise again.

Comment

Anyone ever listen to Varnaline? They were within the alt-country genre. Similar to Son Volt, but more mellow.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                          I've also been tempted to buy some Belle & Sebastian. Any advice?
                          Definitely pick up "The Boy With the Arab Strap". Very easy to listen to. Quite mellow.

There's another band that I used to listen to that is also very similar. Someone help me remember their name. The album was "Tuesday Feels Like Wednesday" or something along those lines. Female lead, of course, but she dueted with one of the guys in the band on a couple tracks.
                          I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

It's the Acid House Kings, and the album "Mondays Are Like Tuesdays Tuesdays Like Wednesdays". Check it out.
                            I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

I don't want to keep starting a massive amount of "Top" lists so perhaps we can use this thread for best releases of '06 so far?

I can't really rank em yet but albums I've enjoyed that were released this year:

Editors - The Back Room
                              The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
                              The Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am. . .
                              Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
                              Thom Yorke - The Eraser (shhhhh - it's a leaked version)
                              RHCP - Stadium Arcadium

I can't put the new Pearl Jam or Gnarls Barkley on the list. I like both but lost interest quickly. I haven't given Tool's 10,000 days enough of a listen yet.

Comment

Anyone ever hear of People In Planes?

Comment

Working...
                                X