Gowton on Wentz after Wentz presser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gowton on Wentz after Wentz presser

Look, Wentz has been at the NovaCare Complex almost every day since the season ended. He works harder than anybody I’ve ever seen. He’s more motivated to be the very best than anyone I’ve seen (OK, I’ll say that Brian Dawkins was in the same category). Wentz is doing everything in his power to get all the way back, and if that happens before Week 1 of the regular season, then he’s probably going to play (Wentz also said on Tuesday that he doesn’t think he’ll need to play in the preseason to be ready for the regular season).

And when he returns, you’re going to see Carson Wentz, not a Ghost Of Carson Wentz Past. He’s made that very clear, so no need to keep asking, thank you very much. Wentz is older, he’s wiser and he knows he needs to stay on the field. What happened on December 10, 2017 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum when Wentz tore his ACL was, really, a freak thing. He was sprinting for the end zone and may or may not have popped the ACL on the run. Or when he was hit. Nobody knows.

The point is, Wentz is putting in the labor now to return to what he was before the injury – the same athleticism, the same instincts, the same competitiveness. He’s clearly added upper-body strength – he’s ripped and has probably added 5-10 pounds – and he’s never worked harder on his body. Along with that, he’s studying film, establishing rapport with new quarterbacks coach Press Taylor and offensive coordinator Mike Groh. Wentz expects to be at the top of his game when he gets back on the playing field.

And just in case you were wondering, you’re going to see Carson. He’ll be smarter and he won’t expose himself to as many hits, but he’s still going to be the beast he’s always been. That’s what he knows. That’s what he does best.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I am not worried at all about Wentz returning 100% from this injury. It is easy to get motivated to recover from that first major injury. My concern would be what happens to that motivation, if it happens again in the next year or two. Wentz is smart as hell and uber talented. The only thing that could really derail a successful NFL career is going to be chronic injuries.

That fact that the exact cause of his injury is unknown, is also somewhat worrisome to me. Most severe knee injuries are pretty obvious when they occur. If Wentz tore up his knee just making a cut, what does that say about his knees ?

I know that I will be cringing next season each time he takes off or when the pocket gets crowded. The next 10 years look awfully promising for this team as long as Wentz stays healthy. I don't want to return to QB mediocrity.

Comment

Working...
    X