No announcement yet.

We're not going to the White House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not forget that Lurie was a BIG and I mean HUGE HRC donor and fan. I was actually surprised to hear he was actually going to the White House. But then again maybe he wasn't. The WH (which who knows what to believe) said that the Eagles originally had 80 people coming, then it was down to less than 10 with 5 or 6 being players. I really think Trump would have looked better if he would have just let this thing play out. I think it would have been the Eagles that looked bad if only a few players and Swoop's (3rd in line ) backup showed up. But alas Trump is too much of an egomaniac to let something fail on its own merit so he opened the door and the liberal media took advantage of it. Each party in this has culpability in this mess. To me its not so much the Eagles didn't go to the White House it was more the Player led community involvement that they canceled that made them hypocritical in my opinion. They do so much good for the community but this tarnishes it a little.

BTW This soon will pass, in fact I would think after the Sixer fire Colangelo today there will be nearly a mention.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      Let's not forget that Lurie was a BIG and I mean HUGE HRC donor and fan. I was actually surprised to hear he was actually going to the White House. But then again maybe he wasn't. The WH (which who knows what to believe) said that the Eagles originally had 80 people coming, then it was down to less than 10 with 5 or 6 being players. I really think Trump would have looked better if he would have just let this thing play out. I think it would have been the Eagles that looked bad if only a few players and Swoop's (3rd in line ) backup showed up. But alas Trump is too much of an egomaniac to let something fail on its own merit so he opened the door and the liberal media took advantage of it. Each party in this has culpability in this mess. To me its not so much the Eagles didn't go to the White House it was more the Player led community involvement that they canceled that made them hypocritical in my opinion. They do so much good for the community but this tarnishes it a little.

BTW This soon will pass, in fact I would think after the Sixer fire Colangelo today there will be nearly a mention.
      I forgot that the thing was supposed to be yesterday until they showed Trump with his pep band on the news last night. I think that you're right in that it will soon be forgotten unless the press keeps hounding on it. Trump's next tweet should take care of that. I still feel that the guys who wanted to go got screwed though. A bright note is that the team stuck together for the most part through the whole mess.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        I forgot that the thing was supposed to be yesterday until they showed Trump with his pep band on the news last night. I think that you're right in that it will soon be forgotten unless the press keeps hounding on it. Trump's next tweet should take care of that. I still feel that the guys who wanted to go got screwed though. A bright note is that the team stuck together for the most part through the whole mess.

I thought the make up celebration was just great, with all those poor "abandoned" Eagles fans, many of whom couldn't remember the name of the Eagles quarterback when asked. Probably overcome with emotion.

And you could hardly beat the event for sheer unbridled patriotism and love of country. You could tell Donald had spent time preparing and had studied real hard, because he knew almost half the words in "God Bless America".
        Last edited by tinopuno; 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post

Nice take. I still lay blame 100% at the players and teams feet. Don't wanna go-- turn down the invite, but don't try to embarrass the POTUS, even if you don't like the guy. The players and the team caused this problem when they decided to interject social issues and politics into a situation that was NOT the right venue. Yes, Trump could have still held it--- but why? for 6 guys and a mascot? No, they tried to pull another Philly special this time Trump caught it and downed them at the 1.

But I agree this will pass, and all I care about is my Eagles on the field and football related stuff--- I don't want or need them to bring anything else to my attention.

Comment

Glenn Macnow in today's NY TImes

PHILADELPHIA — This is a metropolitan area of diverse political factions, from the South Philadelphia labor union Democrats to the Main Line Republicans. We argue about everything.

What we never disagree on is religion. Because all Philadelphians practice the same faith. We all worship the N.F.L. champion Eagles.

So when President Trump rescinded his Rose Garden invitation this week and the administration took verbal shots at our favorite sons, Eagles fans of all political divisions had the same response. We pulled on our Super Bowl LII ball caps, watched the “Philly Special” highlight video one more time and ran outside for a quick neighborhood “E-A-G-L-E-S” chant.

We know better. Because we know what this group of players is about.
            The president labeled the Eagles as unpatriotic because they do not conform to his view of the national anthem. His press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, accused the team of pulling “a political stunt” because many players declined the White House invitation.

“The vast majority of the Eagles team decided to abandon their fans,” Ms. Sanders said.

Hardly. Since the start of the 2017 season, this group of young men has done nothing but embrace its fans, its community and oh, by the way, the Vince Lombardi trophy. Trust me, no one feels abandoned.

I’ve covered sports in Philadelphia for more than three decades. Never during that time have I seen a group of players more dedicated to one another and the city in which they play. Never have I witnessed a more fan-friendly team. For the record:
            Safety Malcolm Jenkins, perhaps the most visible leader in the players’ protest against racial injustice, spends his off time riding along with police officers, visiting prisons and meeting with public defenders and lawmakers. He headed the players’ coalition that prodded owners last December to commit up to $89 million to help grass-roots organizations battle injustice.

Defensive end Chris Long, another respected voice in the locker room, donated his entire $1 million 2017 salary to charities funding scholarships and promoting educational equality. This came after he was appalled by the violent white nationalist protests last August in his hometown Charlottesville, Va.

Quarterback Carson Wentz, the 25-year-old future of this franchise, is opening a food truck (“The Kingdom Crumb”) distributing free meals around the Delaware Valley. He also visited Haiti recently and was so struck by the devastation that his faith-based foundation committed to building a sports complex there. Last week, he sponsored a softball game among teammates that drew 25,000 fans and pulled in $260,000 for the Haiti project. At the end of the night, Mr. Wentz announced he will match that sum — making the evening’s take $520,000.

That’s not exactly abandoning your fan base.
            There are other examples, from large-scale projects to those small moments when a player makes a fan’s day just by being nice. Trust me, that’s not always the case in pro sports. So yeah, some Eagles raised their fists in protest during the anthem last year — but how can everyone not love these guys?

There’s more. When the president and his representatives tried to drive a wedge between the Eagles and their loyalists Tuesday, all the administration did was play into this city’s us-against-the-world mentality. In this respect, Mr. Trump was the Great Uniter.

Our fan base carries a 50-pound chip on its shoulder, born out of years of falling short and being belittled by outsiders. Occasionally, we even turn our enmity on our own.
            This version of Eagles masterfully harnessed the id of its supporters. It was hardly the first time that “nobody believes in us” was used as motivation, but it was the best example I’ve ever seen of players and fans uniting in a quest to stick it up the nose of the Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Tom Brady and whoever else stood in the way of breaking a 58-year N.F.L. title drought.

The city celebrated its Super Bowl win over New England on Feb. 4. But the moment we all cherished most came four days later at the title parade when center Jason Kelce, resplendent in Mummer’s garb — colorful costumes worn by Philadelphia Mummers during their annual New Year’s Day parade — commandeered the podium and conducted a chorus of two million off-key singers in:
            We’re from Philly. [Expletive] Philly. No one likes us. We don’t care.”
            Yeah, that’s us.
            President Trump’s admonishment wasn’t going to cleave the team and its fans. Nor was his narrow definition of patriotism going to create divisions among a group of players from divergent backgrounds, whose greatest strength is the bond of respect among them.

The Eagles may not be “America’s Team,” a title misappropriated to the loathsome Cowboys. But I can’t think of a more deserving franchise.
            So add President Trump to the list of those who insult the team and, by extension, its supporters. Fact is, most fans don’t like mixing politics with their sports, so I don’t think many will relish having the Eagles as the latest entry on his enemies list.
            But they won’t shy from it either. Everyone around Philadelphia appreciates what this group of young men has accomplished, both on and off the field. We know what they stand for — during the anthem and on their off days.
            The president doesn’t like us. Hey, we’re from Philly. We don’t care.

Comment

Mike, I agree for the most part, the eagles and their fans thing was stupid. But the Eagles DID try and pull a political stunt, and that is the problem I have. Hell, I still live and breath my Eagles Football--- But I really am tired of Entertainers trying to tell me what and when I should think and do. Just F'ing entertain me.

Comment

To tell you the truth I think the players are making a big mistake in their thinking with this continued method of protest. They alienate fans plus they give Trump another chance too feed his base followers. They had made their point and had pretty much died it’s natural death until the owners decided to appease Trump. Big mistake. Just play ball now and voice your opinions to the press. They always want a story.

2K-Great post!

Comment

“The vast majority of the Eagles team decided to abandon their fans,” Ms. Sanders said

Go Fuck yourself Sanders- I'm pretty sure we Eagles fans will make the decision on whether or not our team abandoned us.

And they haven't, the just inconvenienced 1000 people who wanted to see DC and were hoping to see the Eagles at the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                    Go Fuck yourself Sanders- I'm pretty sure we Eagles fans will make the decision on whether or not our team abandoned us.

And they haven't, the just inconvenienced 1000 people who wanted to see DC and were hoping to see the Eagles at the White House.
                    I saw that. Who was she trying to kid? Man, that broad is a bitch anyway isn't she?

Comment

As I sit here scratching my head as to how the players made it political when all they did was say they weren't going I have determined I will check twitter to see if Clint Eastwood knows the answer.
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Don't scratch too hard, no need to hurt yourself over a very easy answer .

Comment

I have to agree with Steve Kerr on this one:

“What you're seeing is, the athletes, are showing patriotism through their community service," Kerr said. "The President is turning all of this stuff into a political game. And a ratings game. And it's a blatant display of nationalism. Patriotism is helping your fellow citizen, whether it's what KD's doing or what we did when we visited Washington. What the Lynx are doing today. That's what patriotism is about. I'm blown away by the irony of the Eagles being disinvited. When you read about their good deeds in their communities. Malcolm Jenkins addressing lawmakers, trying to get to the root of the issues we have. Instead we have these military sing-alongs at the White House to show how patriotic we are, even though we don't know the words. It's just incredible."

Now my take:
                          Players like Jenkins, Long, Wentz, Foles, Ertz, hell even Kapernik are just trying to make things better. Just like the rest of us that serve our communities through volunteer work or raising money for charities, we are not doing it for “politics”. They realize that, whether they like it or not, they are leaders and role models (sorry Charles) in their communities. I’m sure most folks can name more Eagles than city councillors. They are not in it for politics, unless you think that they plan to run for office after their careers are over. Which is a possibility for a few of these guys.
                          I think it’s pretty clear that most of them didn’t want to go to the White House because the POTUS called them unpatriotic SOBs.
                          Now you might say that they are using the NFL platform to draw attention to social/political issues, but I’m sure they feel like they have a responsibility to do just that. The fact that some people don’t like it or it makes them uncomfortable IS THE ENTIRE POINT!
                          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

There is a significant difference between patriotism and nationalism. I am concerned far too many see them as the same thing. I've seen no reason to question the patriotism of the Philadelphia Eagle players.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

The Eagles are the most legit team in the NFL with their actions and philanthropy. Too bad that Trump is ignorant of those facts as he could have used them as an example of what players could conduct themselves like. Kaeprdick is a self absorbed narcisist media whore.

Comment

rspurr:

I have to agree with Steve Kerr on this one:

“What you're seeing is, the athletes, are showing patriotism through their community service," Kerr said. "The President is turning all of this stuff into a political game. And a ratings game. And it's a blatant display of nationalism. Patriotism is helping your fellow citizen, whether it's what KD's doing or what we did when we visited Washington. What the Lynx are doing today. That's what patriotism is about. I'm blown away by the irony of the Eagles being disinvited. When you read about their good deeds in their communities. Malcolm Jenkins addressing lawmakers, trying to get to the root of the issues we have. Instead we have these military sing-alongs at the White House to show how patriotic we are, even though we don't know the words. It's just incredible."

Now my take:
                                Players like Jenkins, Long, Wentz, Foles, Ertz, hell even Kapernik are just trying to make things better. Just like the rest of us that serve our communities through volunteer work or raising money for charities, we are not doing it for “politics”. They realize that, whether they like it or not, they are leaders and role models (sorry Charles) in their communities. I’m sure most folks can name more Eagles than city councillors. They are not in it for politics, unless you think that they plan to run for office after their careers are over. Which is a possibility for a few of these guys.
                                I think it’s pretty clear that most of them didn’t want to go to the White House because the POTUS called them unpatriotic SOBs.
                                Now you might say that they are using the NFL platform to draw attention to social/political issues, but I’m sure they feel like they have a responsibility to do just that. The fact that some people don’t like it or it makes them uncomfortable IS THE ENTIRE POINT.

(Had to copy and paste because the "quote" function isn't working)

Here here!

Non violent protest, by design, seeks to draw attention to inequity.

Quite frequently the strongest/loudest criticism of non violent protest, while focused on the "objectionable" actions of the protestors, actually springs from passive indifference or active disregard for the inequity itself.

'Red herrings' are usually a staple of such criticism: In the current situation, "They're disrespecting the flag or the military or the country" and on and on.

Frankly, one can have more respect for the critic who is honest and simply admits, "I don't care about the issues they're raising." than the critic who cynically impugns the motives of the protestors by piling on with the patriotic red herrings.

Such cynical showy patriotism is toughest to stomach when it comes from those phony patriots who stepped backward rather than forward when they had the opportunity to serve.

Comment

Working...
                                X