• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Answer!!

Report: Jordan Matthews visiting Eagles for a physical
    JMatt back for a third stint?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Updated Nov 5, 2019, 1:55pm EST

Well, here’s an unsurprising development. The Philadelphia Eagles are hosting free agent wide receiver Jordan Matthews for a physical, according to a report from PhillyVoice writer and my BGN Radio co-host Jimmy Kempski.

Matthews’ visit comes one day after it was revealed that DeSean Jackson requires core muscle surgery that will keep him out for at least six weeks and potentially the rest of the 2019 NFL season. Jackson successfully underwent said surgery on Tuesday.

Jackson’s injury leaves the Eagles with the following four wide receivers on the 53-man roster: Alshon Jeffery, Nelson Agholor, Mack Hollins, and JJ Arcega-Whiteside. They’ve all been incredibly unproductive over the past six weeks. TRIGGER WARNING:
    Can’t get over this terrible Eagles WR “production.”

Stats from the last six games:https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...n-agholor-mack

Brandon Lee Gowton

@BrandonGowton
    · Nov 4, 2019
    Replying to @BrandonGowton

Brandon Lee Gowton

@BrandonGowton
    Yards per game over the past six weeks

Alshon Jeffery: 50.7
    Nelson Agholor: 19
    Mack Hollins: 2.2
    JJ Arcega-Whiteside: 0

If DeSean Jackson doesn’t stay healthy, this is what Carson Wentz is working with for the rest of 2019. #Eagles

bleedinggreennation.com
    8:51 AM - Nov 4, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    68 people are talking about this
    Matthews is hardly a thrilling addition but he could certainly be an upgrade on what the Eagles are currently getting from their pass catchers. He obviously has familiarity with Philly’s scheme in addition to a good relationship with Carson Wentz.

The Eagles previously turned to JMatt last season when wide receiver injuries plagued the team. JMatt did a nice job contributing as a role player with 20 receptions for 300 yards (team-high 15.0 average) and two touchdowns over 14 regular season games. He also had a 37-yard touchdown reception against the New Orleans Saints (pictured above this article) in the playoffs.

Matthews left Philly in March to sign a one-year, $2 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers. He failed to make the team’s Week 1 roster before injury issues prompted the 49ers to bring JMatt back for a brief stint prior to cutting him again. He’s been on the market ever since.

The Eagles will need to clear a roster spot if/when they sign Matthews. The team could opt to put Jackson on injured reserve, although that would guarantee he’s out for at least eight weeks. Note that there are only eight weeks left in the regular season.

Poll
    Should the Eagles re-sign Jordan Matthews ... again?
    81%
    Yes
    (2290 votes)
    19%
    No
    (521 votes)
    Last edited by Eagle60; 11-05-2019, 10:08 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Turns out it is Mathews

Breaking News
    Guess who's back? Back again. JMatt's back. Tell a friend.

Jordan Matthews is back for a third stint with the Eagles
    There it is.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Nov 6, 2019, 12:52pm EST

The Philadelphia Eagles are indeed re-signing Jordan Matthews, according to a report from NFL insider Ian Rapoport.

We all knew this move was coming considering the Eagles brought JMatt in for a physical on Tuesday. The Eagles obviously needed to add a wide receiver to the roster with DeSean Jackson being placed on injured reserve.

Matthews’ return marks his third stint with the Eagles since being drafted by the team in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft. Matthews was a productive volume player during his first three seasons with the Eagles before he was traded away to the Buffalo Bills in 2017. Matthews signed with the New England Patriots during the 2018 offseason but injury issues derailed his stay there. Matthews eventually ended up re-signing with the Eagles early in the season last year and was even productive as a role player with 20 receptions on 28 targets for 300 yards (team-high 15.0 average) and two touchdowns. He also had a 37-yard touchdown reception in the Eagles’ playoff loss to the New Orleans Saints. Matthews then left Philly in the offseason to sign with the San Francisco 49ers, who released him prior to Week 1 only to bring him back for a brief stint and then cut him again.

All of this is to say it’s been kind of a strange path for Matthews. Regardless, he’s back in Philly now with a chance to help a team that’s mightily struggling to get good production out of their current wide receiver corps.

Matthews’ presence isn’t suddenly going to revive the Eagles’ passing attack. There’s a reason the 27-year-old hasn’t been highly coveted as a free agent for most of the season. But Matthews could at least be an upgrade on Mack Hollins. And he does have a good relationship with Carson Wentz, so that gives the Eagles’ quarterback at least one receiver he can trust both on and off the field.

Comment

Truly a nothing move IMM. This team needs to back the the opposing defense up, and JM doesn't answer that need.

Comment

Yea I see him as more of a possession receiver. I know there have to be speedy guys that can't catch. And it would be very frustrating bringing one in and see him get behind the defense and then drop the ball. But teams still have to account for him so maybe, just maybe he would open things up a little bit.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I disagree. Matthews is a very good third WR and he blocks well. I love the signing. I'd never let this guy get away. He is only 27.

Ride out one more year of Alshon and DJax with JMatt as the third guy and then draft a true stud to make the #1 guy. Hope JJaw develops into the 2 and let JMatt be the three.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I am OK with this considering the options.

However, they have another roster spot. I am still hoping they take a flyer on another WR and maybe sit Hollins. Or, at least let JJAW take Hollins spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
              I am OK with this considering the options.

However, they have another roster spot. I am still hoping they take a flyer on another WR and maybe sit Hollins. Or, at least let JJAW take Hollins spot.
              Its that other open spot that has me intrigued. Is it for another DT? Or LB? I don't who is on the street from a defensive standpoint but that could be the move. Knowing Eagles it is probably for signing a guy from another practice squad

Comment

This move is as Ho Hum as you get for a team that was looking to make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                  Its that other open spot that has me intrigued. Is it for another DT? Or LB? I don't who is on the street from a defensive standpoint but that could be the move. Knowing Eagles it is probably for signing a guy from another practice squad
                  Edwards had a real nice game at LB Rob an so did Avery at DT. As far as Mathews goes there wasn't anything out there anyway. Doug said the he was going to find a way to get The Knife and JJAW the ball more adding that they are both good blockers. I think that we have to get the ball to JJAW more. I think that they really just drafted him as Aggie's replacement next year in the slot.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                    I disagree. Matthews is a very good third WR and he blocks well. I love the signing. I'd never let this guy get away. He is only 27.

Ride out one more year of Alshon and DJax with JMatt as the third guy and then draft a true stud to make the #1 guy. Hope JJaw develops into the 2 and let JMatt be the three.
                    Sorry to disagree AW. This guy hasn’t even been able to stick on 2 other teams and nobody was jumping out to sign him since the 49’s gave up on him,,,, twice. We do not need another guy than can go 15 yards... we need a guy who as No Dak said.... we need a guy that the D needs to cover deep.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      Sorry to disagree AW. This guy hasn’t even been able to stick on 2 other teams and nobody was jumping out to sign him since the 49’s gave up on him,,,, twice. We do not need another guy than can go 15 yards... we need a guy who as No Dak said.... we need a guy that the D needs to cover deep.
                      So, you're saying he was really really really cheap.

Comment

[QUOTE=MDFAN;338623]Truly a nothing move IMM. This team needs to back the the opposing defense up, and JM doesn't answer that need.

Are you telling me that Mathews is not THE ANSWER? Damn.

Comment

I get it MD and no hard feelings. Matthews isn't wowing me in any way but he knows the offense and he is a team guy all the way. He immediately starts in front of Hollins if you ask me.
                          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I am so pissed that we are in the position. I love Howie but he fucked up here. We should have made a trade for a fast WR or if he wanted to stockpile picks he should have claimed Gordon off waivers. Our entire season is now in the hands of three receivers who drop more passes than a horny sailor with shore leave. I am so damn pissed off I am struggling to watch the games. Every dropped pass or misrun route sends me over the edge. Watching the game is no longer fun just frustrating - even when they win!
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

He case for Matthews:
                              He's not a 4.3 guy but he is 4.46 which probably makes him our fastest receiver after Agholor.
                              He's had at least 1 TD of over 40 yards in every season he's played including our playoff game last year.
                              Carson and him have a great relationship. Wentz just doesn't trust Hollins and JJ right now.
                              He may not be the answer but he will help the offense.
                              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X